Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New IS250 owner and member and loving it!

On 9/2/2021 at 7:06 PM, F.A. said:

Congratulations on your new car OP. The IS 250 is a great car. 

2. In the 8 years that I owned our IS250, the blind got stuck on one side once and never again. Very random.

7.  I had both a 2007 and 2011 SE-L. Both had the auto dimming function but neither had a compass. This wasn’t available for the UK market even as an option.  

The compass was some American thing I think to remind them in what direction they were heading...🙄

The is250 is a really good car, some bargains can be had

• Haha 1

On 9/1/2021 at 10:05 AM, zoricib said:

We have to see some pics of the car too 🙂

Of course. In due time. 😉

Need to give it a shine and find a nice spot to make some photos. But honestly I have been so busy with work that I have not had much time with it. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to spend some quality time with the car.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 4:30 PM, McShmoopy said:

You could get one of those android head units fitted in and combine that with 360 parking cameras. This was an option I consisted but it was tricky finding some something compatible with the existing NAVI so I opted for a GROM.

Few possibilities

£155.46  40% Off | Carplay+Auto Android 11 6+128G For Lexus IS IS250 IS300 IS350 2005-2011 Car Radio Stereo Multimedia Player GPS Navigation 4G Lte
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uzZN3M

£118.21  42% Off | Car Radio Android 10.0 10.1'' DVD Player For Lexus IS250 IS300 IS200 IS220 IS350 2005-2012 Stereo 2 Din Head Unit GPS Navigation
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vCx082

£181.77  3% Off | Car AHD 3D 360 degree Camera Driving Panorama Recorder Bird View Parking Front Rear Side DVR Kit For Toyota Prado 2016-2020
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vcpXnM

I have the infotainment in mine. But naturally the navigation is quite old. So I have thought of one of these aftermarket units. I bought one for an older car of mine which didn't have any and it worked great. Transformed the car. But the Lexus has it and many things like the AC are dependent on it. So will the aftermarket unit take over that too ?

13 minutes ago, Lex_utor said:

I have the infotainment in mine. But naturally the navigation is quite old. So I have thought of one of these aftermarket units. I bought one for an older car of mine which didn't have any and it worked great. Transformed the car. But the Lexus has it and many things like the AC are dependent on it. So will the aftermarket unit take over that too ?

I would get updated maps and don't be tempted by Chinese junk

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I must have downloaded the American owner's manual then. That would explain why it has the compass thing listed. I download a pdf.

By the way, is there a website I can look up my VIN to see what options and other details of my car?

I have not had much time with the car since I last wrote. But I really like it. One of those cars that you need to look at it when you get out and starts admiring it from afar as you walk to it.

The only 2 things I dislike so far is the controls for the air conditioning being in the infotainment and the wood trim.

For the wood trim, which is probably not real wood actually, I have seen some solutions. From wrap sets to real carbon fiber rubberized that you can stick over the trim to cover them. Has anybody fond a good solution? I'm sure wood has its fans. But I would prefer either shiny black, grey, aluminium or CF. To make things worse, all the solutions I found for the center console are for the automatic cars only. Nothing for the manual. H3XME, what do you have in your car? 

4 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

I would get updated maps and don't be tempted by Chinese junk

Former owner said the maps have been updated. But that you can no longer update to make it current now. What is the latest possible update?

13 minutes ago, Lex_utor said:

Former owner said the maps have been updated. But that you can no longer update to make it current now. What is the latest possible update?

No idea, my Subaru maps are 2014/5 or something - I just suck it up

The Navi unit is all integrated so its a bad idea to think of removing it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lex_utor said:

Not 100% sure on this but I know some aftermarket units don't work with the navi harness. I think this was the case for some android units like the tesla screen. Some install a Grom V-Line unit but it's a bit pricy at around £500

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lex_utor said:

2017/18 available on eBay. Remove lower front using two pins, eject old disc and put in new one

• Like 1

The interior trim panels in the SE-L Are actually Real wood veneers! 
They are manufactured by Yamaha ( the musical instrument section, not the motorbikes!) and are lacquered numerous times and highly polished. And each car is unique, made from the same piece of wood so any replacement piece from another car will not match.

have you seen this ( auto box I know)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Texas said:

The interior trim panels in the SE-L Are actually Real wood veneers! 
They are manufactured by Yamaha ( the musical instrument section, not the motorbikes!) and are lacquered numerous times and highly polished. And each car is unique, made from the same piece of wood so any replacement piece from another car will not match.

have you seen this ( auto box I know)

Nice. I figured they would be real wood it being Lexus. So only the top spec came with the wood?

I had heard of hydrodipping. Any ideas of the cost of it? But the part which bothers me more is having to take it all off the car. 

1 hour ago, Lex_utor said:

Thanks. How can I tell which version I have?

Press MENU button,

Then MAP DVD button to display current version of disc in car.

Do Not Press the EJECT button unless you have removed the clock fascia already !!!!!

the two pin tools ‘should’ be in the spine of the tool kit pack in boot!

And yes Only SE-L models were fitted with real wood trim & the rear sun screen, even the ISF never had a sun screen!

Plenty of yootoob vids on how to dismantle the auto version trim, not so much the manual box ( that’ll be cause most vids are from  the Yanks!)

A03E0D3C-A000-44CB-9155-D3E21B8E9A52.png

• Like 1

Did anyone reply to your question about fuel? I don't think so. Lexus advises that IS250 2005–2007 not be filled with the new E10 fuel, because of its high ethanol content. 

This has been extensively discussed in other posts on the Forum. I suggest you find them and read them!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 11:16 AM, Texas said:

Press MENU button,

Then MAP DVD button to display current version of disc in car.

Do Not Press the EJECT button unless you have removed the clock fascia already !!!!!

the two pin tools ‘should’ be in the spine of the tool kit pack in boot!

And yes Only SE-L models were fitted with real wood trim & the rear sun screen, even the ISF never had a sun screen!

Plenty of yootoob vids on how to dismantle the auto version trim, not so much the manual box ( that’ll be cause most vids are from  the Yanks!)

A03E0D3C-A000-44CB-9155-D3E21B8E9A52.png

Thanks a lot. I will check it out and find out the version.

On 9/5/2021 at 3:20 AM, MartinH said:

Did anyone reply to your question about fuel? I don't think so. Lexus advises that IS250 2005–2007 not be filled with the new E10 fuel, because of its high ethanol content. 

This has been extensively discussed in other posts on the Forum. I suggest you find them and read them!

I think some have mentioned about the E10 fuel problem. But I had already refueled the car one time and honestly didn't pay attention to that. I only chose the highest octane which was 98. But last time I refueled I got E5.

As far as I understand, E10 was created because it is more green, which tells me eventually E5 would be phased out. So hopefully we will still have a safe way to run our cars in the near future.

Speaking of fuel, does anybody find it hard to keep the foot off the throttle? 🙂 I'm not getting any good fuel mileage and it's all my fault. I can't keep the foot off the pedal and can't help blipping it any chance I have. I find it pretty addictive. As addictive as my RX8 used to be, but for totally different reasons. Must say I didn't expect that from a Lexus and am happily surprised. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:46 PM, Lex_utor said:

The only 2 things I dislike so far is the controls for the air conditioning being in the infotainment and the wood trim.

For the wood trim, which is probably not real wood actually, I have seen some solutions. From wrap sets to real carbon fiber rubberized that you can stick over the trim to cover them. Has anybody fond a good solution? I'm sure wood has its fans. But I would prefer either shiny black, grey, aluminium or CF. 

Hi, I recently joined the forum also. I've never been a fan of any wood - real or fake - in any car, but that's just me. Others seem to like it though and and that's fine. I'll try to provide a link to a topic I started,

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/129908-new-member-my-is250-c/

where I expertly posted some pictures with the expertise of an expert, of a few cosmetic mods I've done on my car. Specifically, the vinyl wrap I applied to the centre console area and the door button panel inserts. 

I went for a dark brushed steel effect wrap, as I don't care for carbon fibre weave either (I know, I'm a fussy bugger!) and there are many effects to choose from. There are also many helpful videos on the tube of you which I would suggest watching before any work is carried out. 

Don't rush it! Allow plenty of time, I found it a straightforward job which took me around 2 hours from start to finish. Oh, and invest in a set of trim removal tools, as there is some levering out of panels involved.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NeilS said:

Hi, I recently joined the forum also. I've never been a fan of any wood - real or fake - in any car, but that's just me. Others seem to like it though and and that's fine. I'll try to provide a link to a topic I started,

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/129908-new-member-my-is250-c/

where I expertly posted some pictures with the expertise of an expert, of a few cosmetic mods I've done on my car. Specifically, the vinyl wrap I applied to the centre console area and the door button panel inserts. 

I went for a dark brushed steel effect wrap, as I don't care for carbon fibre weave either (I know, I'm a fussy bugger!) and there are many effects to choose from. There are also many helpful videos on the tube of you which I would suggest watching before any work is carried out. 

Don't rush it! Allow plenty of time, I found it a straightforward job which took me around 2 hours from start to finish. Oh, and invest in a set of trim removal tools, as there is some levering out of panels involved.

Thanks. I tried wrapping interior parts in 2 of my prior cars and with time the wrap shrunk, I guess because of heat and didn't look nice anymore. So I was more inclined going with one of the stick on ready trims or maybe hydrodip.

On 9/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, Lex_utor said:

Speaking of fuel, does anybody find it hard to keep the foot off the throttle? 🙂 I'm not getting any good fuel mileage and it's all my fault. I can't keep the foot off the pedal and can't help blipping it any chance I have. I find it pretty addictive. As addictive as my RX8 used to be, but for totally different reasons. Must say I didn't expect that from a Lexus and am happily surprised. 🙂 

I find it dead easy to keep my foot off the loud pedal. I'm a professional driver by trade and let off the gas when approaching lights and slower traffic and in plenty of time. I suppose I drive it like I drove my hybrid cars. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 11:34 AM, Lex_utor said:

I do, but that's only because of my exhaust 😂 when i drove my mates auto-250 from London back to Midlands, i felt like there was no need to step on it. Can't hear anything, so what's the point 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, H3XME said:

I do, but that's only because of my exhaust 😂 when i drove my mates auto-250 from London back to Midlands, i felt like there was no need to step on it. Can't hear anything, so what's the point 🤷‍♂️

What a great insight Lucas thanks 👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 10:50 AM, mk_lon said:

Take it you bought a manual then?

Also sounds like you have an SEL - top spec

Indeed. And yeah, it seems to be top spec. I have all the toys it seems. Reverse camera, park sensors, headlight washers, seat heating and seat cooling and so on. 🙂

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2021 at 11:20 PM, McShmoopy said:

Congrats on the new Lexus, I've had my IS250 F Sport for around 9 months and its certainly has been a welcome upgrade from my Corsa! I'm not able to answer some of your questions but I'll try and provide as much info as I can. 

The sunglasses holder I believe was only for non UK spec vehicles like the US, as UK cars have the alarm / immobiliser fitted in that area so I don't think its worth you trying to retrofit anything into there.

I think I have experienced the seat getting warm at times but I can't easily reproduce do that so I'll do some investigating myself on that front. 

I'm not sure about your boot issue but like mine and the IS250C we got for my mum, it had worn out struts so it may be worth replacing these with some from SGS engineering to have the boot easily open.

In terms of the type of fuel the car needs, it will do fine on 95 which is the bare minimum in the UK as far as I'm aware . Depending on the year of your car (I believe yours is 2005 based on sig) you may occasionally benefit from using the higher octane fuel as pre 2009 IS250s suffered from carbon build up issues so those higher octane fuels with their additives do help with keeping the engine clean and will help prolong the life of the car and minimise issues. My car is a 2010 and I've not had an issue using Texaco Unleaded 95 fuel and the car seems to return 400ish miles of range depending on my drive style.

The range on the trip computer is somewhat misleading as it depends on how light your foot is but you can usually go off tank average. Cruise control at 70mph will easily return 40 to 43 mpg depending on your load so while the car isnt exactly economical its not bad for a 2.5L V6!

One thing worth doing in your car depending if it came with the NAVI system or not is upgrade the infotainment. I myself have a GROM VLINE2 in my car and while its not perfect, its getting me Wireless Apple CarPlay in my car while preserving all the OEM functions so it does help modernise the car! 

is the Grom Vline 2 really worth £600? I'll be honest I want apple car play and Android auto but that seems like a lot of cheddar for what's a basic android TV box with some cables.