Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

what if question on a 220d

J8k1122

Hello everyone, I am potentially going to be a proud owner of an IS and have been reading extensively on them. I have a ‘what if’ question. I don’t know much about cars so I’m sorry if it’s a dumb question.

since the 220d and the 200d have the same engine and the 200d solved a lot of the issues with the engine… could you remap a 220d down to a 200d? Or even… would remapping in general help some of the problems with a 220d? I’ve seen some decent 220d out there but i don’t want to buy a problem car.

thanks

Hi jack. First off are you an owner of the awesome is250 as in your profile? 

Second since you don't want to buy a problem car then don't get an is diesel. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, J8k1122 said:

Hello everyone, I am potentially going to be a proud owner of an IS and have been reading extensively on them. I have a ‘what if’ question. I don’t know much about cars so I’m sorry if it’s a dumb question.

since the 220d and the 200d have the same engine and the 200d solved a lot of the issues with the engine… could you remap a 220d down to a 200d? Or even… would remapping in general help some of the problems with a 220d? I’ve seen some decent 220d out there but i don’t want to buy a problem car.

thanks

I was in a similar predicament where I was really after a ultrasonic blue IS and I almost gave in and got an F sport 200d, my heartfelt recommendation is steer clear. 

Even if remapped or just straight up buying a 200d, you’d experience clunky gear changes, unexceptional economy and from what I’ve been told the car is quite sluggish in comparison not to mention the reliability issues. 

Whereas with the IS250 the gearbox is a silky smooth automatic and the economy is acceptable and almost beats out the 200d and 220d. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, McShmoopy said:

I was in a similar predicament where I was really after a ultrasonic blue IS and I almost gave in and got an F sport 200d, my heartfelt recommendation is steer clear. 

Even if remapped or just straight up buying a 200d, you’d experience clunky gear changes, unexceptional economy and from what I’ve been told the car is quite sluggish in comparison not to mention the reliability issues. 

Whereas with the IS250 the gearbox is a silky smooth automatic and the economy is acceptable and almost beats out the 200d and 220d. 

Ahh! fantastic post back. Totally understand! thanks 🙂 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Jack. First off are you an owner of the awesome is250 as in your profile? 

Second since you don't want to buy a problem car then don't get an is diesel. 

hello firstly I had to put something so I could join. and I will be going for the IS250 (hopefully the SE-L). I was just being curious... 

• 5 months later...

A lot of people who have very little experience with the 220 will tell you a lot of things..

my experience of owning one for the past 7 years and putting over 80.000 miles on it is.

DPF and EGR delete with a leto performance ECU gets rid of all your problems! 230bhp with 500nm of torque with no turbo lag feels great! 

And I have never got this clunky gear change thing people say...the gear change feels firm and assured maybe I'm just used to a more sportier car compared to other people I'm guessing people don't like to feel the gear actually going in.

And when it comes to any head problems if you actually speak to any experienced Lexus engineers the actually is a very little amount of them that had any head gasket issues it's just well-publicised you get this with a lot of car models afew of them have a problem and people make out every single car that came off the production line has the problem when in reality it's a very little amount of them.

In all the time I have had mine I have only heard of 3 needing a head gasket and let's be honest these cars are that old if they were going to have a problem they would have had it and been fixed by now

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2022 at 10:24 AM, Yorkie740 said:

A lot of people who have very little experience with the 220 will tell you a lot of things..

my experience of owning one for the past 7 years and putting over 80.000 miles on it is.

DPF and EGR delete with a leto performance ECU gets rid of all your problems! 230bhp with 500nm of torque with no turbo lag feels great! 

And I have never got this clunky gear change thing people say...the gear change feels firm and assured maybe I'm just used to a more sportier car compared to other people I'm guessing people don't like to feel the gear actually going in.

And when it comes to any head problems if you actually speak to any experienced Lexus engineers the actually is a very little amount of them that had any head gasket issues it's just well-publicised you get this with a lot of car models afew of them have a problem and people make out every single car that came off the production line has the problem when in reality it's a very little amount of them.

In all the time I have had mine I have only heard of 3 needing a head gasket and let's be honest these cars are that old if they were going to have a problem they would have had it and been fixed by now

You're probably right but the 250 is still the better car overall. Has much fewer issues mechanically, has a much better gearbox/gear ratios, and similar fuel economy, without having to make any adjustments to ECU, remove parts etc.  

Just makes more sense to go for the 250 if one is considering a IS. If diesel is a must there's more reliable, more fuel efficient options out there, Honda Accord  D-tec for example.  

Totally disagree about the gearbox though it's Awful IMO shaky as hell at idle feels like something you'd get in a Van. Drive a Gen7 Honda accord you'll see how a manual should feel.