Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Saw a B-17 over the A14 today....

Mincey

I remember being very impressed as a young lad by the Lightnings doing their party piece at airshows. Sauntering down the runway then going vertical immediately after take off just like a rocket. Oh and the noise....

• Like 1

Oh yes - Concorde! I have relatives on the South Coast and before the M25 my father's preferred route was around Heathrow. On one trip in the winter, Concorde took off on full burners just as we were passing the end of the runway and I saw the diamonds in the exhaust as clear as day. Absolutely magical.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mincey said:

Oh yes - Concorde! I have relatives on the South Coast and before the M25 my father's preferred route was around Heathrow. On one trip in the winter, Concorde took off on full burners just as we were passing the end of the runway and I saw the diamonds in the exhaust as clear as day. Absolutely magical.

Yes – Concorde…! I would imagine what you saw was magical. Some things 45 years ago, I have to be reminded about. But I can remember well working at RAF Fairford… I can also remember the north and south circular roads around London. When I was driving from Didcot to the original Colchester By Pass that I was working on, and also USAF Woodbridge. I always used to think if I caught the first couple of sets of traffic lights, when they were red. It would be a slower journey, because I would be stopped by red lights more often…! And I was right…! You had to be lucky to get round the north circular, without stopping very much…

I know the M25 well. I lived at Camberley and drove to Gravesend, and back, for a few years… 70 miles each way…

When my father retired about 30 years ago, they went on the Orient Express to Europe, Concorde to America, and returned on the QE2. All 3 things he wanted to go on in one hit.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

When my father retired about 30 years ago, they went on the Orient Express to Europe, Concorde to America, and returned on the QE2. All 3 things he wanted to go on in one hit.

Now That is a men with taste, respect to your father Paul!

The South End airshow was always pretty special. The Harrier hovering over the small boats was great but the Usaf F18ś were king in the days. First flying at Max speed low over the crowd then returning at lowest speed possible and going vertical with full throttle and afterburners. The noise, the vibration in your chest just absolutely unbelievable! After all these years i still remember that.

Must be a male thing i guess. Give me a map of a ghost drawing of a plane, submarine or even sky scraper and i am off for the next couple of hours!

12 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Now That is a men with taste, respect to your father Paul!

He didn't have a Lexus though! But he had a Mercedes for weekdays and a Shadow for the weekend...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DanD said:

Saw the Red Arrows land at Exeter airport while waiting for our flights to the Isles of Scilly on August 23rd. Always such an exciting sight.

Sounds like you have been to the Scilly Isles often...? I presume the Red Arrows landed because they were doing an air show somewhere in Devon or Cornwall.

Hi Guys.

I came home from a hard day at work a few weeks ago and was pottering around in the house when I heard something very distinctive outside.

I rushed out armed with my camera to find a P51-Mustang flying round and round my house doing rolls and dives.

I took a few stills of him and then I thought that I couldn't miss the opportunity to save that sound for posterity so I got out my phone and took some video too.

I only just caught him on video as he left almost as soon as I started filming him.

I think I am quite lucky as I live out in the middle of nowhere quite close to a live firing range so we get all sorts flying overhead. I sometimes wonder if they use our house as some kind of waypoint.

Back in August the Apaches were doing night training on the range. We were laying in bed listening to the guns until almost midnight!

Here is a selection of what's been over in the last 12 months or so.

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_3955.JPG

IMG_3971.JPG

IMG_4538.JPG

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_3986.JPG

On 9/7/2021 at 11:03 AM, Mincey said:

It was like this, only a lot closer!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...