Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New member and new to Lexus

Beast of the Links

Hi,

I am waiting to get a date for my NX to be delivered. Hopefully it will be this month. 

I have a couple of questions please:

1- do I need to consider how I drive to get the most out of the hybrid functionality? 

2- what are the coolest features about the tech and toys in the car?

Thanks all 

28 minutes ago, Beast of the Links said:

Hi,

I am waiting to get a date for my NX to be delivered. Hopefully it will be this month. 

I have a couple of questions please:

1- do I need to consider how I drive to get the most out of the hybrid functionality? 

2- what are the coolest features about the tech and toys in the car?

Thanks all 

Hey & Welcome, 

What colour and spec have you gone for ? 

1- Yes 

2 - Answer will come once you tell me the spec 😉 haha

50 minutes ago, Arnett said:

Hey & Welcome, 

What colour and spec have you gone for ? 

1- Yes 

2 - Answer will come once you tell me the spec 😉 haha

Thanks for the welcome. It is a NX Premium Sports in black. I think all the toys are standard but I have a panoramic roof and double-dash cam. 

Hi Russell and welcome to the best Lexus forum there is and to Lexus ownership. Is the NX going to be your first CVT car? Is your current car a manual or automatic gearbox? If manual then you'll be in for a weird sensation if you're mechanically minded. This is because to accelerate you feel like your revving the nuts off the engine. That's how I felt when I got my first hybrid after 35 years of manual cars. If you're in an auto car then it won't feel weird. Main difference is you'll learn to anticipate things more. When you see a red light ahead take foot of gas and let the car coast, whilst coasting it'll be charging the traction Battery. Also when braking you'll learn to do gradual braking, this to charges the traction Battery. These are the two main things to get the most out of the hybrid system. 

What made you go for a Lexus and in particular the NX?

• Like 2

I’ve only ever driven one hybrid Lexus, the CT200.

The weirdest thing I found was pulling up at a junction in a completely silent car, waiting for a gap in traffic to pull out and wondering will it move off when I want it to. It always did.

Another thing to be aware of are pedestrians, they can’t hear the car in Battery mode and rarely look. This occurs mainly in supermarket car parks when they stroll up the middle of the roadways pushing the mis-tracked wobbly wheeled trolley with their spacial awareness on another planet.

Finally welcome to the LOC 😀

• Haha 1

Welcome Russell if you havent driven a hybrid before to get the most funcitionality out of the system i think members on here have best described to get the best drive as though you have an egg under your foot. Ive had mine a year now and have enjoyed learning. Confident i am getting the best out of it now. Happy motoring.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2021 at 2:40 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Russell and welcome to the best Lexus forum there is and to Lexus ownership. Is the NX going to be your first CVT car? Is your current car a manual or automatic gearbox? If manual then you'll be in for a weird sensation if you're mechanically minded. This is because to accelerate you feel like your revving the nuts off the engine. That's how I felt when I got my first hybrid after 35 years of manual cars. If you're in an auto car then it won't feel weird. Main difference is you'll learn to anticipate things more. When you see a red light ahead take foot of gas and let the car coast, whilst coasting it'll be charging the traction battery. Also when braking you'll learn to do gradual braking, this to charges the traction battery. These are the two main things to get the most out of the hybrid system. 

What made you go for a Lexus and in particular the NX?

I drove quote a lot of SUVs and wanted a hybrid or electric vehicle. I used to work in car finance so understand the purchasing process and wanted a slaesman that would talk to me as a person rather than just pushing me through the process. Simon at Lexus Croydon did that and the car I test drove was great so going for this was not a tough decision then. 

Thanks for the driving tips. They make a lot of sense. 

Another thing to be aware of are pedestrians, they can’t hear the car in Battery mode and rarely look. This occurs mainly in supermarket car parks when they stroll up the middle of the roadways pushing the mis-tracked wobbly wheeled trolley with their spacial awareness on another planet.’

Jeremy Clarkson, of all people, pointed this out on Top Gear years and years ago. Car engines are now so quiet that most noise from a car emanates from the tyres. And tyre manufacturers are striving to make car tyres ever more silent. And if cars are completely silent, no pedestrian will ever hear them coming, and presumably accident rates will go through the roof.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:36 PM, steve2006 said:

Another thing to be aware of are pedestrians, they can’t hear the car in battery mode and rarely look. This occurs mainly in supermarket car parks when they stroll up the middle of the roadways pushing the mis-tracked wobbly wheeled trolley with their spacial awareness on another planet.

In the early days of this Forum quite a few new owners of Lexus hybrids would post about how exceptionally quiet the cars were, and some of us were not above admitting to taking a perverse delight in silently creeping up behind pedestrians in EV mode and giving them a (hopefully) mild fright, supermarket trolley-wheelers being prime candidates.  As for myself, the novelty wore off years ago apace with the rise in the number of people with ear-phones or similarly unaware of their surroundings who are as much of a danger to your car as your car is to them.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links