Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS450H to SC430

hybridbatterysolutions

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has gone from a GS450H to an SC430 at all as i am considering purchasing a post 2007 SC430 and was wondering what the comfort of the SC is like comparatively & also how the gearbox feels on the SC?. I adored the smooth power delivery of my GS and in a lot of ways I regret selling her. Maybe someone out there has both possibly, I welcome your honest opinions. Thankyou.

• Like 1

I don't think you would be disappointed. I have a GS460 and an SC430.  I have also previously owned a 6-speed GS430.

The engine and 6 speed box in the GS430/SC430 is about as smooth as you will find, it's well known for it. I would say It's a little more refined than the GS450, though I haven't spent much time in a GS450, just one brief trip. The SC430 is very good and finished to a higher standard but the GS is more comfortable particularly over less forgiving road surfaces. For that reason the SC is often improved by new owners with new/aftermarket suspension. The only other slight gripe with the SC is the lack of radar cruise and older tech, though oddly, the ML audio is significantly better in the SC.

• Thanks 1

Oh right, that's interesting Thankyou Neil. Did you actually drive the GS450H? It has a CVT gearbox you see which is obviously the smoothest gearbox possible so I wouldn't expect an SC to be that smooth obviously, but by what you're saying its not bad at all, which sounds fine to me.

Yes the Radar cruise was/is amazing especially when you consider that they were fitting it 15 or more years ago, probably ahead of most other brands. So would you describe the ride in the SC as hard Neil? Trouble is I am trying to weigh up whether to sell my 3.0L 2010 BMW Z4 S-Drive M-Sport which is a real beauty in black with red leather & less than 30,000 miles on the clock? Its just not right for me - its too raw & you feel every bump & to be honest I'm too old to be throwing things into corners & racing around on public roads, I need refinement comfort & smooth strong power, I think an SC probably fits that bill although I've never driven one myself hence the asking.

What are things to look out for? I'd only be looking at as low mileage as i could find 2007 on facelift model, which I am lead to believe, had a more sorted suspension? 

Richard

• Like 1

Yes the later suspension was improved, it's not a hard ride, even mine, lowered on coilovers with wide tyres has reasonable compliance. It's similar to the ride in the GS430, just not quite as tight or as good at soaking up the uneven surfaces. On a long motorway run it's very comfortable. 

I was a passenger in the GS450 but I've driven a new RX450hl, LS600hl's and a few other hybrids. I wouldn't consider them the smoothest drivetrain overall but I take your point in the sense that they don't change gear as such. None were as smooth and quiet as the 3UZFE with 6 speed in the LS430 I owned a few years ago. 

On standard tyres and good standard suspension you should get a pretty smooth experience in the SC. It is more capable of being 'sporty' than most reviewers will have you believe when you're in tune with it but the ride handling bias is definitely towards 'grand tourer.' 

3 hours ago, hybridbatterysolutions said:

It has a CVT gearbox you see which is obviously the smoothest gearbox possible so I wouldn't expect an SC to be that smooth obviously

The 4.3 V8 and 6-speed auto (face-lift model) is probably as smooth as you can get for petrol engine/auto transmission combination - changes are almost unnoticeable for normal driving, only hard acceleration would you feel the change (other than a very occasional mis-shift in traffic (1st/2nd gear)). Obviously it cannot be as smooth as a CVT in terms of the transmission but the V8 engine itself is smoother than the V6.

• Like 1

Brilliant thanks again that's exactly what I wanted to know, I have arranged to have a drive of one next weekend a kindly Gent I met whilst doing a favour for a friend at AGH tyres here in Northampton  - came in with a blowing exhaust.

Really looking forward to it!

Looks wise I really like the rear of the car, the front takes some imagination to love I think but they are just so nice, wondering if the headlights could be updated to improve the look a bit?

Many thanks

Richard 

• Like 1

I have a2007 facelift model and as said a smooth ride/gearbox, but I have changed my tyre size, to give the car a softer ride. I have gone from the standard 245/40/R18's to 245/45/R18's as the roads in Wales are full of tank traps and pot holes🙂 So far no real difference in speedo and a slightly softer ride on rough roads!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hybridbatterysolutions said:

Brilliant thanks again that's exactly what I wanted to know, I have arranged to have a drive of one next weekend a kindly Gent I met whilst doing a favour for a friend at AGH tyres here in Northampton  - came in with a blowing exhaust.

Really looking forward to it!

Looks wise I really like the rear of the car, the front takes some imagination to love I think but they are just so nice, wondering if the headlights could be updated to improve the look a bit?

Many thanks

Richard 

A lot can be done to the front end but it usually involves major surgery. I always thought a couple of well shaped body-coloured eyelids and deleting the bonnet chrome should work. I did try a few quick ideas when I first started modding the car, they are early in the build thread. At the recent show, one owner came over to  the car and remarked at how different the front looked. There are other better looking expensive kits but it always takes a lot of money and professional skill to make them look good.

My early favourite, this is a fairly simple but effective way to tidy up the front and make it look lower and sporty. 

image.thumb.png.6a5578cb019ec763377355b0556266cf.png

Something very different.

3 hours ago, hybridbatterysolutions said:

Loving the wheels on there what are they?

If you mean the silver car, I don't know and perhaps not easy to get in the UK but mine are quite similar twin 5 spoke though not quite as wide. The problem with these is that they are the first step on the slippery slope and begin to turn the car into more of a sports car at the expense of the ride quality. Below mine is slightly lowered on coil-overs with uprated Aristo front ARB and rear ISF ARB, strut brace and big Continental tyres so it doesn't let go in the bends. Fine on smooth tarmac but you sacrifice some comfort to gain handling agility. For comfort it's better to stick with standard size tyres.

60050.thumb.jpg.fdd256ae4c3ea38992561b53a58a71a9.jpg

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

The Aisin A761E is an excellent transmission which also provides Sequential Shift, unfortunately via the shifter and not paddles.

Paddle shift is possible, Skipper produced a bolt on version. I wanted to do it with an IS250 steering wheel but backed out and admitted defeat because the air bag is different.

Hi does anybody no why my cars dash lights would all come on while running an kind of lose power..now when i turn it on it clicks...my cars a 2000 altezza gita plz help..hurd it could b starter motor

8 hours ago, Jenz said:

Hi does anybody no why my cars dash lights would all come on while running an kind of lose power..now when i turn it on it clicks...my cars a 2000 altezza gita plz help..hurd it could b starter motor

You may get more responses if you opened a thread in the imports sections Jenz but seeing as you are here the first suspect with your symptoms would be the car Battery, have it checked out.

• Like 1