Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Charging system failure

Lexus mom

The Battery symbol dash light came on when I drove to work about five miles away. So I looked up what the symbol could be alerting me about. Said it was alerting me there was a problem with the charging system and it should not be driven because it could result it driver becoming stranded. After work I started my vehicle back up the light remained on. Drove back to my home while running ac, radio, and all other systems seem to be working normal. Made it to my driveway and the sonar warning light turned on on dash. Then a handful of other lights and car started losing power in all electrical one at a time then car was immobile. Charged Battery with Battery charger cables off Battery posts. Used volt meter to test if fuses were receiving power they were. Then grounded the negative probe and touched positive to alternator. The Battery power was registered at 6volts at this point. There was a significant draw just from having the terminals attached to the Battery posts. Unknown to what is causing it at this point. Looked for burnt or frayed wires of any kind none to be seen. Even with Battery fully charged car has no power inside the vehicle. No interior lighting no engine start button power nothing. Please advise me of possible places to check Er or a resolution to the charging system failure. Ps that is the message that came up on the dash. Can’t even plug obd reader in with Battery attached charging box. Key fob won’t work and I can’t even pop the trunk

There is really only two things that have a high current connection to the Battery that wouldn't otherwise blow a fuse, the alternator and starter. Worth disconnecting each in turn and testing them + see if the vehicle's electrics come alive without them connected.

Or you have a faulty Battery, that has failed in quite a catastrophic way - do you have another one you can use, or charge up the one you have and have it load tested (not connected to the vehicle).

So I determined it is a bad alternator and now I will replace it but I’m looking for the best choice for this model Lexus that will produce enough power to run most efficiently. So far I’ve been coming up with the Denso 210-0659. Is there one that is more recommended to meet the amps this model requires?

The Battery is brand new less then six months old. But I think it was not completely in park. So we removed the plastic square lock around the shifters manual switch and the made sure the vehicle was in park all the way. Then tried to start it and we were successful. Prior to this we charged Battery and reconnect terminals to the Battery. Which cause the alternator to start smoking from the wiring. Immediately removed positive terminal cable. With a volt meter tested everything from the fuse box to the alternator. Which showed continuity.