Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS430 (facelift) 05 LPG Conversion Worth it?

TKhan430

Hi all, 
I'm thinking maybe next year to get lpg fitted. Do you know if the ls430 is good for lpg conversion?

I know there's a system which squirts petrol onto the valves in place of flash lube which is supposed to be better for the engine and valves.

Is it worth it in your opinion?

Is the weight of the tank in the back bad for the air suspension?

Has anyone had an lpg conversion done on your 430,how have you found it, anything gone wrong or potential to cause damage to the car in other way as its introducing something new into the eco system of the car? 

Many thanks 

🙂
Tariq

1. I remember someone on here converted his own LS430 (think his name is Hyland?) because he used to work as an installer, so yes, it can be done.

2. Petrol on the valves instead of FlashLube? Never heard of that one, sorry. All my cars used FlashLube

3. I don't know the cost of a conversion these days but the last car we had converted was our RX300 and was £1,300 a few years ago. Only you will know how much mileage you do and how long your pay-back or break-even point will be. I can say that LPG is better for the environment, better for the engine, and far better for the wallet.

4. Never had air suspension but I very much doubt it would cause a problem.

5. Never had an LS430 but had 5 or 6 cars converted over the years and loved it. The car ECU sends out signals to the petrol injectors as normal but those signals are intercepted and sent to the gas ECU and on to the gas injectors instead. It works brilliantly and if I didn't have a hybrid I would have LPG again in a heartbeat. Although it is possible to convert hybrids, I'm just not brave enough. Hybrids are very complex anyway and I don't want to add yet another layer of complexity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Herbie, 

I think it's a newish system from Stag as petrol squirting on the valves. Is the gas better for the engine as the temperature runs higher? 

I plan to keep the car for a very long time as its been in the family few years since new.

Yeah break even point would be about a year or so. 

Which cars did you have converted. As things change over time is Prins and Stag the best systems to use? 

I think Shell are going to stop selling gas due to lack of popularity - do you think it will be phased out eventually? 

Thanks 🙂

2 hours ago, TKhan430 said:

I think it's a newish system from Stag as petrol squirting on the valves. Is the gas better for the engine as the temperature runs higher? 

As far as I'm concerned anything that uses petrol when it should be on gas is defeating the object. For instance, there are some systems out there that will switch back to petrol on heavy load, which is rubbish. Having a fully-loaded car going uphill with a wide open throttle is just when you need it to be drinking cheap gas rather than expensive petrol and just smacks of installer incompetence in not using the correct components for the installation.

It's still a bit of a minefield when you have three things to come together - you need someone who can suggest the best system* for the car and who is qualified to fit that system and will also do a very neat, good installation. I've come across installers who are meticulous in their work but they've only been qualified to fit one or two systems and they couldn't guarantee that they were the best systems for the car and that they would not switch back to petrol under heavy acceleration and loading.

*The bloke who did my conversions really understands the science and doesn't fit any particular system from any particular manufacturer (which is really just a kit of parts) unless he thinks that would be the best solution in any given case. What he tends to do is to see what the car needs and then he 'mixes and matches' the best components from any manufacturer to get the best results. As an example, he may decide to use an OMVL reducer with Magic injectors and a NEVO gas ECU and a Prins this and a Romano that, and so on.

We've had conversions done on an RX300, a Nissan Maxima QX SE Plus, a Nissan Maxima, I think we had a Rover 800 Sterling done and something else too far back to remember.

I'm no scientist so I don't know why LPG is better for the engine, only that it is. Engine oil comes out almost the same colour as it went in 10k miles before so it's much cleaner.

I would think LPG will be around for a fair while yet, although maybe petrol forecourts may diminish. Our local Calor Centre has a pump, as does our local Premier Gas place.

• Thanks 1

I would love to convert my Volvo 940 to LPG but isn't justified as it only does 5k a year. The biggest issue is the nearest LPG outlet has stopped selling LPG, was 3 miles away. Asda at Derby is nearest now,  a 39 mile round trip. 

Unfortunately I fear LPG outlets are getting fewer,, fewer as people either stick with a diesel or buy a hybrid or full EV. LPG was very popular years back with various manufacturers offering LPG models. 

James.

• Like 1

Had all my cars converted over the past 25 years. Not one of them ever gave me a moments worry and my bank account is better for it. 

My LS400 was converted by Andrew at Profess  Unit 2, West Road, Penallta Industrial Estate CF82 7SW Hengoed

Telephone 01443 812893problems.

I have never had any sort  of  flash lube fitted on any car as there is just no need for them, just a way of the don't care fitters to get another £100 or so out of you.

I think Andrew is charging £1000 + VAT and he will lend you a car while they install your system in a day.

The work is neat and very professional.

My present LS400 was converted by Andrew 11 years ago and its done 100,000 miles, all without a moments worry.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2021 at 9:38 PM, Bluesman said:

My LS400 was converted by Andrew at Profess  Unit 2, West Road, Penallta Industrial Estate CF82 7SW Hengoed

Telephone 01443 812893

My GS430 is running a Stag system installed by Andrew - really nice bloke and very good aftersales support.

The 3UZ is fine on Gas - plenty have been done with no issues. Regarding Flash Lube, I was advised it wasn't needed for a 3UZ, but had it fitted anyway, more for piece of mind. If Bluesman has been running without for that long, I wouldn't worry about it.

Overall, I'm getting low to mid 20's to the gallon on gas and getting about 12p/mile which is superb for a big V8. The conversion paid for itself within a year, at the miless I do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1