Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300 Advice

I am thinking of taking the hybrid IS300 to Grenada which is extremely hilly and the average speed is around 25mph with hardly any open roads. So I am asking the suitability of the hybrid system in these conditions? There are a lot of older IS models but I haven’t seen any hybrids on the island. The Government are trying to promote EV and Hybrid vehicles by reducing the import tax from 160% to 50% which is a big difference. Any advice appreciated.

I don't see it being a problem. Hybrids work well at low speeds when the electric motor can assist more than at motorway speeds, and whilst you won't get near the manufacturer's mpg figures if you are going up and down hills all the time you will benefit from the engine being able to cut out when coming down them, along with energy recovery from the regen. braking.

• Like 1

Hybrid is functioning very good in the island here, where the highest mountain in Spain is on the neighbour island. Here we have been 2000 meter up and no problem at all.

Only thing is that it cost a bit more in fuel when climbing and when the climbs are so long that the gain when going down is not here at all. When going down 20 minutes only the first 3 - 4 are used to fill the hybrid Battery and no matter how much you try to fill more in it - there is not room for more.

The noise described by motoring journalists (who do not like hybrids) is only annoying when trying to up very steep hills with right foot down to the floor. Go up gentle and there is no more noise that there is in all cars when going uphill.

Granada is hot this time of year. I prefer Granada in February - March. Sintra in Portugal is a fantastic place now and the next 2 months.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Think I did not read what you wrote.

Grenada in the southeastern Caribbean not far from Venezuela?

I read Granada in Spain.

Sorry.

No worries, common mistake yes it’s at the bottom of the windward isles in the Caribbean, I still appreciate your input, any info is better than none because it will be a gamble taking there with no real back up.

• Like 1