Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement Windscreen

let me mention this oddity ..  when discussing with Saga the replacement of the Honda Legend screen ( under the £75 excess claim ) they told me that all their new screens come from Pilkington ..  it hadn't occurred to me that they would be possibly inferior tbh .........  the lady at Saga also told me everything about my existing screen .....  tints, sensors within it etc . .... came as a bit of a revelation to me, being a simple soul .......  but as I said, when it arrived at the Fitter, AutoWindscreens at Rochester it was an original stamped, etched Honda windscreen ......  lucky eh !

Malc

If a replacement non-Lexus Original Equipment (OE) screen is manufactured to exactly the same standards as a Lexus OE screen then clearly it will be ok.

Unfortunately, many replacement non-OE screens are not, even when manufactured by the same company, eg Pilkington. They are only the same if manufactured to the same standards and there is quite a difference between manufacturer standards and other basic automotive and country/region specific glass standards. Most replacement ‘pattern’ screens are not manufactured to the same standards.

A good friend of mine worked for Pilkington and he confirmed that screens manufactured for the replacement market are not manufactured to the same standards as the manufacturers mandate for genuine OE screens. This doesn’t mean they are no good and clearly some screens will be better than others, depending upon what standards a screen has been manufactured to. My friend told me of quite a few examples of cheaper pattern screens being inferior in terms of whether for example a view is slightly distorted when looking through the glass. This is especially important with regard to forward looking cameras etc that most modern cars have nowadays.

I’m changing my insurer at next renewal time because they won’t allow a genuine Lexus screen to be fitted and if I was to mandate one myself they will only pay a relatively small sum to go towards the replacement. I want to be able to mandate a genuine Lexus screen so it’ll now be something I will always check when taking out new insurance.

For me, a screen is part of the structure of the car and I want it to be a genuine OE screen. Then again, I only use genuine parts for repairs and replacements too so this is just me. A personal choice I think.

• Like 2

Just an update regarding this. I have been quoted an additional £246 to have a Lexus screen fitted. This is in addition to my excess of £75, making a total of £321. Needless to say I have opted for a non OE screen!

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, ikeja said:

Just an update regarding this. I have been quoted an additional £246 to have a Lexus screen fitted. This is in addition to my excess of £75, making a total of £321. Needless to say I have opted for a non OE screen!

Wow! Just goes to show the difference between how insurance companies deal with it. As I said, Aviva just charged the standard £115 excess for a genuine Lexus windscreen. Trouble is, by the time you find out…

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

Wow! Just goes to show the difference between how insurance companies deal with it. As I said, Aviva just charged the standard £115 excess for a genuine Lexus windscreen. Trouble is, by the time you find out…

SAGA charged the standard £75 for what turned out to be the genuine Lexus screen in my RC

2 hours ago, ikeja said:

Needless to say I have opted for a non OE screen!

but you might be lucky and find the windscreen you get will be Lexus etched and original whatever

Good luck

Malc

• Like 1