Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

UK Stickers to replace GB stickers on 28 September 2021

DanD

As of September 28th, the GB country identifiers will no longer be legal when travelling on the continent and will have to be replaced with a UK equivalent.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-plates/flags-symbols-and-identifiers

On or after 28 September 2021

You will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a GB identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack)
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier

If your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a UK sticker.

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it.

39 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Wish me luck trying to find a UK sticker in Switzerland for my return trip in October.

you'll be flying along at the speed of GSssssss and no one will notice your irreverent behaviour and attitude towards the French Authorities :wink3:

OR just make one-up with a colouring set and a piece of paper to clear sticky tape over the existing terrible GB signage 

Malc

I presume as you're in Switzerland you can claim immunity from prosecution by offering ( a bribe of ) a gruyere taster to a Swiss policeman should he dare to stop you to admire your rare car in Swissieland 

Here are some stickers you can buy to cover up the EU stars and the GB on your number plate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Signs247-Number-Stickers-United-Kingdom/dp/B098PGHWMT/

This is an easy solution.

But does anyone know if it's legal to put stickers on your number plate? I suspect it wouldn't be allowed on the number area. So would it be legal on the flag area?

2 hours ago, Thackeray said:

Here are some stickers you can buy to cover up the EU stars and the GB on your number plate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Signs247-Number-Stickers-United-Kingdom/dp/B098PGHWMT/

This is an easy solution.

But does anyone know if it's legal to put stickers on your number plate? I suspect it wouldn't be allowed on the number area. So would it be legal on the flag area?

Yes it is, with some caveat. See the government guidelines on the link in my original post.

4 hours ago, Thackeray said:

So would it be legal on the flag area?

WOT ....  defacing the Great British flag ....... NEVER ..........  punishable by straight deportation to Rwanda methinks along with the likelihood of joining the cross channel illegal migrants going there too ...............

Malc

21 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

Wish me luck trying to find a UK sticker in Switzerland for my return trip in October.

I once got a fine (or, rather, my employer did as it was a company car) for driving a German-registered car in France without an identifying national sticker.  It came by post in the same envelope as a speeding fine, each offence having its own paperwork supported by the same photograph taken by a mobile camera.  I paid the speeding fine myself as per company rules but declined responsibility for the other.  I still wonder if the police would not have ignored the latter offence had I not also committed the former, but it was clearly a case of unusual bureaucratic zeal on somebody's part.  Of course the need for a separate sticker no longer exists among and between EU member states provided the numberplate incorporates the national identification code.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this story to illustrate that the French police might well check for the presence of separate stickers on non-EU cars, though I would be surprised if there won't be an informal period of grace of a few months before enforcement of the GB-to-UK change.  But, then again, some policemen are more zealous than others, and surlier with it ...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DanD said:

Yes it is, with some caveat

What's the caveat? If I had to guess, I'd suspect that strictly speaking you're not allowed to conceal part of the number plate with stickers.

17 hours ago, Malc said:

WOT ....  defacing the Great British flag ....... NEVER .......... 

We're talking about concealing the EU flag by sticking a Union jack over it, not the other way round!

2 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

concealing the EU flag

is there a EURO ( yuk ) flag ....  or do you mean those white around stars on the blue background thingy

now, that should be illegal in the UK as of NOW ......  a good way to raise much needed revenue / fines for the exchequer methinks:yahoo:

Malc

35 minutes ago, Malc said:

is there a EURO ( yuk ) flag .... 

Quite right to question this! Glad to see you lot at the back are paying attention! There is no EU flag according to Wikipedia.

To quote: " It has been in wide official use by the EC since the 1990s, but it has never been given official status in any of the EU's treaties."

• Like 1