Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Issue 2015 Lexus ES300H

Hello All,

I am having issues with my 2015 ES300H. It was parked for some time during covid and I expected the Battery to be down however I assumed a boost and some driving would juice it back up. When I boost it is starts and runs perfectly. The Hybrid Battery also seems to run good. It runs on EV and holds charge, charges as well. I have no other issues at all with all features turned on and the car in park there is no significant drop in the voltage. My issue is as soon as I turn off the car I loose all Battery power. It just dies as if the batter is fully dead. I don't know if it is the charging system since the power hold at fully loaded. The Battery itself seems fine since it also runs good when running. 

Could there be another issue? Please help. 

Probably just the 12V Battery going to Battery heaven.

Using a multimeter check against the chart below for 'standing' voltage at the Battery terminals. Then put the car into READY mode and check again, you should find about 14.5V this time - if so, the charging circuit is working but the Battery isn't able to hold charge.

1894277616_batterycharge.thumb.jpg.359dfc7adf601ccf0087df07acafb8e4.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Probably just the 12V battery going to battery heaven.

Using a multimeter check against the chart below for 'standing' voltage at the battery terminals. Then put the car into READY mode and check again, you should find about 14.5V this time - if so, the charging circuit is working but the battery isn't able to hold charge.

1894277616_batterycharge.thumb.jpg.359dfc7adf601ccf0087df07acafb8e4.jpg

Thanks Herbie. I will try that and see if the issue is at the 12V level and not the charging system. 

Agee with Herbie. I had exactly the same issue, left the car at the airport for four weeks, had to boost start it and it never really recovered, lasted about a week even when I charged it overnight it would only last a day. The Battery was only three years old but having been completely discharged in very cold weather finished it off.

Hopefully a new replacement Battery if required will restore normal operations but if you ever find yourself in the same situation again with the car being unused for several weeks may I suggest buying a “Smart Charger” and leaving this connected to ensure the Battery is topped up with charge as required.

If power is a problem several members use a solar panel charger.

6 hours ago, westo3 said:

Agee with Herbie. I had exactly the same issue, left the car at the airport for four weeks, had to boost start it and it never really recovered, lasted about a week even when I charged it overnight it would only last a day. The battery was only three years old but having been completely discharged in very cold weather finished it off.

Thanks Nick. I hope it is as simple as just replacing a 12v Battery. I hope this will resolve the issue. 

6 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Hopefully a new replacement battery if required will restore normal operations but if you ever find yourself in the same situation again with the car being unused for several weeks may I suggest buying a “Smart Charger” and leaving this connected to ensure the battery is topped up with charge as required.

If power is a problem several members use a solar panel charger.

Smart charger is a great idea Steve. When I first parked it away, I was starting it every week and just let it run for about 5 mins just to get the fluids moving and the Battery charged. However I did get lazy and didn't keep up for almost 9months. I am hoping the seals and gaskets didn't dry up. I have also not checked to see if my AC condenser unit is still functioning but this does give me hope that it could be just a simple Battery re and re. 

17 minutes ago, Toronto Lexus es300H said:

When I first parked it away, I was starting it every week and just let it run for about 5 mins just to get the fluids moving and the battery charged.

I'm afraid that five minutes a week is nowhere near enough.

At the beginning of the first lockdown, the advice on Toyota's website was to put the car in Park and READY mode for about 60 minutes per week minimum (but don't leave it unattended as someone could drive away in it) to keep the Battery charged up. The petrol engine will start up as and when needed during that time to keep it charged.