Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nextbase Dash Cam

Hi All,

I’m contemplating asking Lexus service to install the ‘Lexus’ (Nextbase) dash cam in my new car before I pick it up next week..  I’ve got the Nextbase 512GW in my current NX which works fine but just wondered had anyone gone for the current approved latest version..

The camera itself is overpriced, as is the Lexus fitting charge.

I got this Viofo A129 Duo front/rear camera set from amazon for £154.70 Just need to buy a hard-wire kit for an extra £10-£12 and it does everything the Lexus-supplied one does for half the price and equally good.

It's a very easy DIY job for the front camera and a bit more involved for the rear one but still very DIY-able. If you don't want to DIY then a good auto-electrician will have both done in an hour, again for much less than Lexus would charge.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arnett said:

Personally I dont rate the lexus supplied Nextbase dash-cam, Its an overpriced 1080p camera. 

You can buy the top of the range ones on the market for a similar price. 

Which one do you recommend?

12 hours ago, Herbie said:

The camera itself is overpriced, as is the Lexus fitting charge.

If you don't want to DIY then a good auto-electrician will have both done in an hour, again for much less than Lexus would charge.

Normally I would agree that these are both excellent points.

Across different cars I’ve purchased three cameras, two hands-free systems and two sets of parking sensors and had them fitted by the same local auto electrician, with excellent results.  And he has the great advantage that he conveniently comes to me, so not having a big workshop to maintain is one reason why he can offer a better price.

However…in Eddie’s case I can see a benefit in getting the dealer to do the install.  It’s a new car he’s buying off them, so it’s already sitting in the workshop.  The dealer now becomes responsible for its efficient operation, as with every other part of the car.

As for cost, he’s in a good position to negotiate an improvement on the list price and lose it in the overall purchase price.  In terms of camera performance I would suggest going to the Nextbase website which might help identify performance differences.

One essential feature is the quality of its ‘Parked’ performance with the ignition off - as you, Eddie, with your experience of a Nextbase camera will be well aware.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RajWJFWJK said:

Which one do you recommend?

The 622 GW is a great camera resolution is unmatched, but you can also get some 1080p ones which have a really good parking mode including night vision.  For the 622 your talking £300ish including the rear camera. 

2 hours ago, LenT said:

Normally I would agree that these are both excellent points.

Across different cars I’ve purchased three cameras, two hands-free systems and two sets of parking sensors and had them fitted by the same local auto electrician, with excellent results.  And he has the great advantage that he conveniently comes to me, so not having a big workshop to maintain is one reason why he can offer a better price.

However…in Eddie’s case I can see a benefit in getting the dealer to do the install.  It’s a new car he’s buying off them, so it’s already sitting in the workshop.  The dealer now becomes responsible for its efficient operation, as with every other part of the car.

As for cost, he’s in a good position to negotiate an improvement on the list price and lose it in the overall purchase price.  In terms of camera performance I would suggest going to the Nextbase website which might help identify performance differences.

One essential feature is the quality of its ‘Parked’ performance with the ignition off - as you, Eddie, with your experience of a Nextbase camera will be well aware.

Why that may be true surely it would also be possible to see what they could offer on just installing a self supplied camera, the likelihood of a further deal on the camera and fitting of it will be lower because it wasn't agreed during the "spec" of the vehicle and during the delivery phase of the vehicle they are less likely to throw offers at it.  The dealer supplied 380 needs a serious upgrade to be a competitive product. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Arnett said:

Why that may be true surely it would also be possible to see what they could offer on just installing a self supplied camera, the likelihood of a further deal on the camera and fitting of it will be lower because it wasn't agreed during the "spec" of the vehicle and during the delivery phase of the vehicle they are less likely to throw offers at it.  The dealer supplied 380 needs a serious upgrade to be a competitive product. 

I can’t imagine that installing a self-supplied camera would be a problem and, as you say, it provides the opportunity to choose a superior product.  As I understand it, the 512GW is a few years old now and the 622GW is a significant upgrade.  And as I suggested - and not knowing Eddie’s personal situation - I see no point in trying to economise on  the cost of the camera considering the purchase cost of the car.

However, there might be one aspect to take into consideration.

If Eddie supplies the camera and the dealer fits it, there is one possible area of conflict.  If the system develops a fault, the dealer may say it’s down to Eddie to go back to whoever supplied it.  The retailer may say it’s a fault introduced by the installer.  And of course this situation can apply in any case in which the car owner supplies the item to be fitted.

Modern cameras from reputable makers are very reliable, and provided they’re matched to a properly sourced SD Card - ideally the largest capacity it will take - and regularly reformatted, this need not be a concern.

But another factor is that maybe Eddie just wants to take the simplest possible route to dashcam heaven ie the Lexus option.  I expect you’re right in suggesting that he might not get the best deal now as opposed to specifying it with the new car, but again I can’t see the cost difference being significant.  

So again I would suggest that he goes to the Nextbase website and compares the specs, of the newer camera.  An added attraction of the Lexus option is that any future  problem with the system becomes entirely the dealer’s.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LenT said:

If Eddie supplies the camera and the dealer fits it, there is one possible area of conflict.  If the system develops a fault, the dealer may say it’s down to Eddie to go back to whoever supplied it.  The retailer may say it’s a fault introduced by the installer.  And of course this situation can apply in any case in which the car owner supplies the item to be fitted.

I know what you're saying Len but with the greatest of respect, you're overthinking it.

A hard-wired installation with parking mode needs, at most, three wires - an ignition-switched supply, a permanent supply and an earth.

If something goes wrong, using a multimeter you would check the voltages at the camera end and if something was wrong then it's the installers problem (unless there's something wrong upstream of where the camera's tapped in and then it's a Lexus problem). If they check out alright then anything else has to be an equipment problem so you go back to the camera supplier.

14 minutes ago, LenT said:

An added attraction of the Lexus option is that any future  problem with the system becomes entirely the dealer’s.  

I do agree that if something were to go wrong then it would be easier for one place to deal with it all. The only point I'm trying to make is that some people seem to think that because it's a Lexus car then the only camera they can fit will have to be the Lexus one and that's just plain wrong. For a start, it's not made by Lexus and it's not even the best camera out there. I'm not saying that the one I have is the best but it is equally as good as the Lexus offering and at half the price too.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I know what you're saying Len but with the greatest of respect, you're overthinking it.

A hard-wired installation with parking mode needs, at most, three wires - an ignition-switched supply, a permanent supply and an earth.

If something goes wrong, using a multimeter you would check the voltages at the camera end and if something was wrong then it's the installers problem (unless there's something wrong upstream of where the camera's tapped in and then it's a Lexus problem). If they check out alright then anything else has to be an equipment problem so you go back to the camera supplier.

I do agree that if something were to go wrong then it would be easier for one place to deal with it all. The only point I'm trying to make is that some people seem to think that because it's a Lexus car then the only camera they can fit will have to be the Lexus one and that's just plain wrong. For a start, it's not made by Lexus and it's not even the best camera out there. I'm not saying that the one I have is the best but it is equally as good as the Lexus offering and at half the price too.

I have no disagreement with anything you say, Herbs.  And I think it's the thinking I might apply to myself in the same situation.  But I know nothing about Eddie.  He may not even own a multimeter or have the inclination to sort out any problems that arise himself.  Perhaps he will return to enlighten us!  🙂

But the impression I got from his OP - possibly in error - was that he was looking for the simplest way to get a dashcam installed and wondered if the latest Lexus supplied version was worth having.  On the basis that it's a perfectly satisfactory front/rear camera setup that someone else will install and be responsible for, I would suggest it's a yes.  The only regret he could possibly have is finding himself in a situation when he rues the day he didn't get one!

But here's another thought - as it's a new vehicle.  If he has the cash to spare, I would be inclined to take it to a good local Detailer and have it ceramic coated and possibly even 'wrapped' at the front.  That could prove to be another worthwhile investment...just a thought!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LenT said:

An added attraction of the Lexus option is that any future  problem with the system becomes entirely the dealer’s.  

Except it wont, if the camera is wired in by Lexus the installation job itself is covered by them as will be the cable or any wiring fault. 
As for the hardware itself now that's where its a tad different. The device going wrong or developing a fault would require you to take your car back to a dealer ship or drive to a Halfords for example.  If the camera has a fault Halfords will exchange it under a 12 month warranty, or Lexus will do exactly the same under the same type of warranty. The device will had the same warranty period no-matter where purchased from as its an accessory so only covered with a 12 month guarantee under the consumer rights act.

The downside to doing it through Lexus though at this point is you now want to hope that the tech team are available to come look at it right away and not have to book the car in. With Halfords, you unplug the cable from the side of camera, walk into customer services and explain the issue. If your given a new camera right away you walk back and plug the cable into the side of the unit and drive off.  If anything the Halfords option as a whole is a smoother process for "if it goes wrong"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arnett said:

Except it wont, if the camera is wired in by Lexus the installation job itself is covered by them as will be the cable or any wiring fault. 
As for the hardware itself now that's where its a tad different. The device going wrong or developing a fault would require you to take your car back to a dealer ship or drive to a Halfords for example.  If the camera has a fault Halfords will exchange it under a 12 month warranty, or Lexus will do exactly the same under the same type of warranty. The device will had the same warranty period no-matter where purchased from as its an accessory so only covered with a 12 month guarantee under the consumer rights act.

The downside to doing it through Lexus though at this point is you now want to hope that the tech team are available to come look at it right away and not have to book the car in. With Halfords, you unplug the cable from the side of camera, walk into customer services and explain the issue. If your given a new camera right away you walk back and plug the cable into the side of the unit and drive off.  If anything the Halfords option as a whole is a smoother process for "if it goes wrong"

Possibly my fault Sam if I didn't make myself clear.  

My statement that An added attraction of the Lexus option is that any future  problem with the system becomes entirely the dealer’s. ", was meant to refer to the purchase and installation of the complete system from the dealer.  Your point about the immediate availability of an auto electrician at the dealership - or even a replacement camera - is very valid.  

So now the question gets to be: Would I let a lad at Halfords loose on my brand new Lexus to install two cameras, wiring and a switched power supply. Personally, I would be inclined to say NO!  In which case would your advice be to Eddie to buy a better camera from Halfords and have it installed by Lexus, especially as they currently have it in for prepping for sale? 

Of course this wasn't the question he actually asked.  But it might be the best of both options!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tel said:

I have both front & rear Lexus Dashcam  fitted as part of my Deal in May.

Perfect

Tel

No deal on offer Tel, they just said, 'we have no margin to offer a deal' !!  so I think I'll be sorting it myself..

2 hours ago, LenT said:

I have no disagreement with anything you say, Herbs.  And I think it's the thinking I might apply to myself in the same situation.  But I know nothing about Eddie.  He may not even own a multimeter or have the inclination to sort out any problems that arise himself.  Perhaps he will return to enlighten us!  🙂

But the impression I got from his OP - possibly in error - was that he was looking for the simplest way to get a dashcam installed and wondered if the latest Lexus supplied version was worth having.  On the basis that it's a perfectly satisfactory front/rear camera setup that someone else will install and be responsible for, I would suggest it's a yes.  The only regret he could possibly have is finding himself in a situation when he rues the day he didn't get one!

But here's another thought - as it's a new vehicle.  If he has the cash to spare, I would be inclined to take it to a good local Detailer and have it ceramic coated and possibly even 'wrapped' at the front.  That could prove to be another worthwhile investment...just a thought!

Hi LenT, thank you for you input, quite simply, the situation is I'm busy running a business, it's time and efficiency in getting Lexus to save me a job that in fact I could quite easily do, but I see them being a better option as the new car is currently sitting their at Lexus waiting to be picked up later this week, on a day that suits me, so it's a new car and I thought I'd get them to either do one of two things..  supply / fit a new system.. or, I supply them my existing Nextbase 512GW (that is a 2019 purchase and now superseded).. I rang Lexus this afternoon and the sales assistant I spoke to (not the chap I'm dealing with) told me there were no deals on new dash cams, they don't make enough margin! but although the dealership do not like to fit previously fitted dash cams, even though they fitted for me when I bought this NX in 2019 from them, they will acceed to this request of mine for them to fit my current one..  at no cost to me ! but at no risk to them.. so now I'm contemplating..          

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ed659 said:

…they will acceed to this request of mine for them to fit my current one..  at no cost to me ! but at no risk to them.. 

Sounds like a win/win situation!   A ‘no charge’ installation of a system you’re familiar with - and you can easily upgrade later if you feel the need.

And you can look forward to picking it up with all the benefits of a dashcam and just concentrate on enjoying the new car experience.  What’s not to like?!

• Like 1

As a matter of interest, if you get a third party to fit a dashcam onto a new car - as oppposed to Lexus - is it likely to affect the car warranty in the event that something goes wrong? - Are you likely to get into a battle with either Lexus, the third party or potentially both trying to get either party to own the problem (whatever it might be) and fix it?

Just a thought.

1 hour ago, DanD said:

As a matter of interest, if you get a third party to fit a dashcam onto a new car - as oppposed to Lexus - is it likely to affect the car warranty in the event that something goes wrong? - Are you likely to get into a battle with either Lexus, the third party or potentially both trying to get either party to own the problem (whatever it might be) and fix it?

Just a thought.

That would depend on what fault occurred but batteries are consumables so not really covered by any warranty worth caring about anyway. Warranty covers mechanical parts primarily it would be like saying only Lexus can change your tyres etc. Also you can take your car to an independent garage that also doesn't effect the cars warranty so long as all advice and requires are met.  

16 hours ago, LenT said:

Sounds like a win/win situation!   A ‘no charge’ installation of a system you’re familiar with - and you can easily upgrade later if you feel the need.

And you can look forward to picking it up with all the benefits of a dashcam and just concentrate on enjoying the new car experience.  What’s not to like?!

Agree with that entirely 

1 hour ago, DanD said:

As a matter of interest, if you get a third party to fit a dashcam onto a new car - as oppposed to Lexus - is it likely to affect the car warranty in the event that something goes wrong?

Look, no offence meant but just what do you think could go so catastrophically wrong as to need a warranty claim from Lexus?

It's not like we have to delve into the ECU modules with soldering irons, or reprogram any EEPROMs or anything.

It's a camera, nothing more, nothing less. It only needs a power supply and that's it - it works. It doesn't have to be compatible with, or 'verified for use' with anything, and all it's doing is 'taking' (power) from the car, not injecting something 'into' the car that could do any harm. It's no different from connecting a TomTom or any other third-party satnav, or connecting your phone to the car.

There is a legal entitlement to be able to take your car to a third-party garage for work to be done without it affecting the warranty and there are many, many, highly-qualified and hard working mechanics and auto-electricians out there doing great jobs. Unless you're going to go to Lexus for every bulb change, every tyre change, every wiper blade change etc., etc., you'll probably use some of their services so that situation may or may not arise anyway.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Look, no offence meant but just what do you think could go so catastrophically wrong as to need a warranty claim from Lexus?

It's not like we have to delve into the ECU modules with soldering irons, or reprogram any EEPROMs or anything.

It's a camera, nothing more, nothing less. It only needs a power supply and that's it - it works. It doesn't have to be compatible with, or 'verified for use' with anything, and all it's doing is 'taking' (power) from the car, not injecting something 'into' the car that could do any harm. It's no different from connecting a TomTom or any other third-party satnav, or connecting your phone to the car.

There is a legal entitlement to be able to take your car to a third-party garage for work to be done without it affecting the warranty and there are many, many, highly-qualified and hard working mechanics and auto-electricians out there doing great jobs. Unless you're going to go to Lexus for every bulb change, every tyre change, every wiper blade change etc., etc., you'll probably use some of their services so that situation may or may not arise anyway.

No offence taken!

I was more thinking about the installation (wiring) potentially interfering with some existing wiring, and resulting 'something' no longer working as it should.

As you can see, I am not technically minded and rather risk averse where cars are concerned...

• Like 3

On 9/11/2021 at 6:43 PM, Ed659 said:

Hi All,

I’m contemplating asking Lexus service to install the ‘Lexus’ (Nextbase) dash cam in my new car before I pick it up next week..  I’ve got the Nextbase 512GW in my current NX which works fine but just wondered had anyone gone for the current approved latest version..

I picked up my new NX on Saturday and had the Nextbase Dash Cam fitted the model my Dealer fitted was the 380 which was designed for the Trade as there is the ability to lock the device to stop the Driver messing with it. It seems fine to me I did have the 312GW.I got it fitted and supplied as part of the deal.

Mine is the 380 GWX & have only checked it once to see the image quality.

Certainly needs a larger capacity SD if you enjoy seeing your journey etc.

Tel

I'm a believer in the value of having a dash cam, and my last four cars have been fitted.

I've heard of a couple of garages asking, at the time of booking a service, whether a dash cam is fitted.

Something to hide? No such problem when the Volvo was serviced - I did see the bonnet raised, and later the car being washed.

2 hours ago, deltapapa said:

I'm a believer in the value of having a dash cam, and my last four cars have been fitted.

I've heard of a couple of garages asking, at the time of booking a service, whether a dash cam is fitted.

Something to hide? No such problem when the Volvo was serviced - I did see the bonnet raised, and later the car being washed.

This is quite a complex legal issue.  The law covering the operation of cameras to collect images (ie data) of people without their knowledge or consent comes within the Data Protection Act.  It could be that advisory notices might have to be prominently displayed in the vehicle - as is the case with a taxi.

The system for collecting and storing such images may.be controlled and the responsibility of authorised individuals.  However, a mechanic recorded damaging a customer’s car or driving it recklessly is unlikely to find the DPA an effective defence - as numerous examples on the internet will testify.

Of course, some Service operations actually  have viewing areas so that customers can watch their car being worked on.  So if a garage objects, you could ask what they want to hide - and take your business elsewhere.

I used to silence the camera in the early days in other cars.  But now I leave it to announce its operation and so far my Lexus dealer hasn’t even remarked on it.

You could argue, perhaps, that this is actually giving the kind of warning announcement that might be covered by the DPA.  In any case, it then puts the onus on the dealer to explain why they don’t want you to record what’s going on!

• Like 1