Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Charlie and welcome to the LOC.

These are the specifications for the wheels for the GS300, they need to be 5 stud with a PCD of 114.3mm, centre bore 60.1 ( larger will require spigot rings) and an offset of 45 ( determines how far the wheel sticks in and out).

The wheel nuts may also be a different type (usually tapered) on aftermarket wheels.

If you are changing wheel diameter the speedometer reading can be affected, there are various online calculation sites to work out the difference.

You should also inform your insurance company as it is considered a “modification”

7A65E146-BCA0-4B14-955F-B58C6A3317EA.png

21 hours ago, CharlieEdwin said:

Hi, just wondering what size wheels/ tyres people are running on their MK3 GS. I'm looking at getting some aftermarket wheels and just trying to work out what is best.

Thanks

I've got a staggered set of G Spider alloys on my car, 8j fronts and 8.5j rears.

I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5's with 225/45/18 on the front and 245/40/18 on the rear.

What sort of wheels are you looking at getting? If I didn't find my current alloys, I would have bought a forged set of alloys that were affordable! Lighter wheels make such a difference to driving on smaller cars, so might be just as nice or nicer on a bigger car.

I've been looking at getting a set of 19x8.5j et40. And tyre size of 245/35/19.

I ordered some wheels from rimstyle with these exact measurements and due to the deep concave style they were touching on the front calipers.

I'm hoping I can get a different set of wheels with the same dimensions but a flatter style face?

Also did you change the studs for longer ones with the G spider alloys?

Just now, CharlieEdwin said:

I've been looking at getting a set of 19x8.5j et40. And tyre size of 245/35/19.

I ordered some wheels from rimstyle with these exact measurements and due to the deep concave style they were touching on the front calipers.

I'm hoping I can get a different set of wheels with the same dimensions but a flatter style face?

Also did you change the studs for longer ones with the G spider alloys?

I don't know the specifics, but 19's might have some trouble on your car in terms of fitment. They might rub in your arches but also look too big possibly?

The extra weight per wheel may also make the car drive worse, speaking from experience. The unsprung weight of 1kg per wheel apparently adds up to 10kg of rotational weight, which is quite a bit extra per wheel for accelerating and stopping.

As for my G Spider alloys, they are factory optional wheels - so no modifications needed whatsoever. I used the same bolts as I had on the car previously.

I had 20 inch staggered on mine when I got it. They were horrid to drive, rubbed on the arches and the cost of decent rubber for them was staggering!

Would say 19 inch is as far as you should go. Unless you don't care about ride quality and prefer the look.

I've now ordered some different 19x8.5j et40 alloys with 245/35 tyres that are a flatter style so hopefully they fit okay. I'll let you all know once they arrive. 10-12 business days to get to the UK from Germany, then a couple days for tyre fitting and shipping to me.

2 minutes ago, CharlieEdwin said:

I've now ordered some different 19x8.5j et40 alloys with 245/35 tyres that are a flatter style so hopefully they fit okay. I'll let you all know once they arrive. 10-12 business days to get to the UK from Germany, then a couple days for tyre fitting and shipping to me.

Hope it works out well for you. 

You can see some of my other threads to see what 18's look like, although mine has a mild drop.

Just now, CharlieEdwin said:

Yeah yours looks smart! What did you do to lower yours?

I used Tanabe springs, which are apparently pretty good without spoiling the ride quality. I can attest to this being the case too.

The 2 I know of are the NF210 (NF - Normal Feels and less of a drop) and the DF210 (Drop feels with more of a drop)

Links here:

https://www.tanabe-usa.com/nf210.asp?id=2

https://www.tanabe-usa.com/df210.asp?id=1

I opted for the NF210 as the spring rate is 5% stiffer than shock, which I'd guess the stock shock can take (time will tell!) and the drop is reasonable without having to get aftermarket camber adjusters etc. I'd still recommend a 4 wheel alignment, had mine done yesterday and it's perfect now.

1 minute ago, JDM-Fiend said:
5 minutes ago, CharlieEdwin said:

Yeah yours looks smart! What did you do to lower yours?

I used Tanabe springs, which are apparently pretty good without spoiling the ride quality. I can attest to this being the case too.

The 2 I know of are the NF210 (NF - Normal Feels and less of a drop) and the DF210 (Drop feels with more of a drop)

Links here:

https://www.tanabe-usa.com/nf210.asp?id=2

https://www.tanabe-usa.com/df210.asp?id=1

I opted for the NF210 as the spring rate is 5% stiffer than shock, which I'd guess the stock shock can take (time will tell!) and the drop is reasonable without having to get aftermarket camber adjusters etc. I'd still recommend a 4 wheel alignment, had mine done yesterday and it's perfect now.

Do you know of any coilovers that are meant to keep a reasonable ride quality? My driveway won't allow me to lower the car by much so I wanted to use coilovers to fine tune it so I don't beach it coming on/off the drive.

6 minutes ago, CharlieEdwin said:

Do you know of any coilovers that are meant to keep a reasonable ride quality? My driveway won't allow me to lower the car by much so I wanted to use coilovers to fine tune it so I don't beach it coming on/off the drive.

If I'm honest, I have no idea. 

I've heard of lots of more affordable options once upon a time such as MeisterR and BC Racing - but I have no idea on how good etc. I'd heard of them when I used to have a lot of Honda's, which are generally a bit lighter than some of the Lexus models.

I know KW apparently do excellent coilovers, but they aren't cheap. But then again, good things usually aren't too cheap!

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, JDM-Fiend said:

Any pics? 

How much were they and what's the adjustments like?

32 dampener adjustments, mine is set to the harder side because the soft is very soft and bouncy. Think they were about £400ish

No pics but will try to clean it up and get some for you at the weekend👍

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update on the wheels. 

19x8.5 et40 with 3mm spacers all round. Used extended thread nuts to allow me to safely secure the wheels. 

Happy with the results, shame about the scuffs on the car and the arch gap! (Especially at the front)

PXL_20211105_151117378.jpg