Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying an RCF

As per title I'm thinking of buying an RCF, It's a 2015 model, blue with light interior, it's done around 65,000 miles and is priced at around £28,000 at a Lexus dealer.

My questions are,

Is that a good price for the year and mileage adjusting for the fact it is for sale at a main dealer?

Is now the right time to buy with the market being as it is, I suppose that ties into the first question but would it be wise to wait and see if the market adjusts in my favour?

I'm trying to be objective but obviously it's an amazing car and one I have always wanted.

16 minutes ago, Ceramicolive said:

As per title I'm thinking of buying an RCF, It's a 2015 model, blue with light interior, it's done around 65,000 miles and is priced at around £28,000 at a Lexus dealer.

My questions are,

Is that a good price for the year and mileage adjusting for the fact it is for sale at a main dealer?

Is now the right time to buy with the market being as it is, I suppose that ties into the first question but would it be wise to wait and see if the market adjusts in my favour?

I'm trying to be objective but obviously it's an amazing car and one I have always wanted.

Firstly allow me to saying congratulations fantastic choice and a stunning colour combo! 

1: Yes and no, For the most part yes thats a good price for whats available atm and if you take the pre owned price hikes of present that is still quite a good price. 

2: its a sellers market right now with no idea of when it will stabilize, thats probably one of the "fairest" price F cars I have seen in recent months. So I imagine it will not be stood idle long. The RCF's starting going up in price about 2 years ago and haven't really come down since. 

• Like 1

It's probably a semi decent price with the current crazyness in the big scheme of things, however to put things into context 18 months ago I nearly purchased a 66 plate with 20k mileage for £29k from a main dealer. 12 months ago a 15 plate with 35k on the clock went for £26500 from Lexus Sidcup but sold quickly. 

However that was then and this is now. It's fair to say that prices across the board in the used £20-40k range for anything 'desirable' are up 10 to 20% from what most might consider normal prices. It's not just F cars, M2 /M4's / C63 / C43 / F type have seen similar price increases.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ceramicolive said:

It's okay, seems about in-line with current prices. For example, I picked up my '16 plate with 17k miles for £35k a few weeks ago, so you're paying 7k less for a slightly older car with much higher mileage. Sounds reasonable, especially if the car is in good condition.

Dealers simply aren't interested in haggling the sale price these days (in my experience), so my strategy now is to ask them to fix everything (within reason). For example if the wheels are kerbed or there are stone chips or you're worried about the alignment or worn tyres etc, point them out, ask the dealer to sort it before agreeing to buy the car. Get it in writing (email etc). Look over the car carefully for any defects. This can be tricky as they never seem to wash the cars, so you might miss superficial stuff like stone chips and scratches. This is what we have to deal with in a seller's market I suppose. Also haggle your trade-in price if you're trading in as they might lowball you. Ask for a full tank of super-unleaded to seal the deal. Don't bother with the extras they try to sell you, they aren't worth it (just my opinion). From my experience they are keen to sell cars, they are just never willing/able to lower the price, but that doesn't mean you can't get a better deal you just have to find other ways to get a bit more for your money.

Make sure it's "Lexus Approved" so you get the 10 year warranty. Check the service history, make sure it's full and done at a Lexus dealer every time. Of course, to keep the warranty going, you'll have to service it at Lexus too. You should get complimentary breakdown cover with the warranty (I did, nice surprise when it turned up in the mail), so you can save the cost of adding it on to your insurance or whatever.

3 hours ago, Ceramicolive said:

Well prices have gone up so the best time to buy would have been 1-2 years ago. The thing is we don't know for sure that the prices will come down any time soon, so I don't really see the sense in waiting around personally. If you want it and can afford the hit financially, why not? They are awesome cars, comfortable, fun to drive, look great, people respond well to the car and say it's nice etc. It's something different.

Have you test-driven one? I wouldn't buy the first car you look at, try to look at and drive at least 2-3 and then buy the one you like most. I drove a carbon first and didn't like it as much. Take your time, try out as many features as you can, take the car on a variety of different roads etc. This shouldn't be a quick 10 min test drive, you want quite a bit of time to get a feel for the car. It can feel a bit slow/lazy in normal mode, even with generous throttle inputs. Make sure you put it in Sport S+ (two turns right on the mode dial) and give it full throttle all the way to redline (it's quite a long way up there!) to get a feel for what the car can do. If in doubt check the speedo, it piles on speed alarmingly quickly, but you don't necessarily feel it as the car stays smooth and stable even at "up there" speeds.

Good luck and hopefully you get some decent open roads to really stretch the car's legs. Ask the dealer about good driving roads, they will usually point you in the right direction. If you do happen to get stuck in traffic, then just try to enjoy the other side of the RCF's dual personality which is smoothness and refinement in normal mode.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

It's okay, seems about in-line with current prices. For example, I picked up my '16 plate with 17k miles for £35k a few weeks ago, so you're paying 7k less for a slightly older car with much higher mileage. Sounds reasonable, especially if the car is in good condition.

Dealers simply aren't interested in haggling the sale price these days (in my experience), so my strategy now is to ask them to fix everything (within reason). For example if the wheels are kerbed or there are stone chips or you're worried about the alignment or worn tyres etc, point them out, ask the dealer to sort it before agreeing to buy the car. Get it in writing (email etc). Look over the car carefully for any defects. This can be tricky as they never seem to wash the cars, so you might miss superficial stuff like stone chips and scratches. This is what we have to deal with in a seller's market I suppose. Also haggle your trade-in price if you're trading in as they might lowball you. Ask for a full tank of super-unleaded to seal the deal. Don't bother with the extras they try to sell you, they aren't worth it (just my opinion). From my experience they are keen to sell cars, they are just never willing/able to lower the price, but that doesn't mean you can't get a better deal you just have to find other ways to get a bit more for your money.

Make sure it's "Lexus Approved" so you get the 10 year warranty. Check the service history, make sure it's full and done at a Lexus dealer every time. Of course, to keep the warranty going, you'll have to service it at Lexus too. You should get complimentary breakdown cover with the warranty (I did, nice surprise when it turned up in the mail), so you can save the cost of adding it on to your insurance or whatever.

Well prices have gone up so the best time to buy would have been 1-2 years ago. The thing is we don't know for sure that the prices will come down any time soon, so I don't really see the sense in waiting around personally. If you want it and can afford the hit financially, why not? They are awesome cars, comfortable, fun to drive, look great, people respond well to the car and say it's nice etc. It's something different.

Have you test-driven one? I wouldn't buy the first car you look at, try to look at and drive at least 2-3 and then buy the one you like most. I drove a carbon first and didn't like it as much. Take your time, try out as many features as you can, take the car on a variety of different roads etc. This shouldn't be a quick 10 min test drive, you want quite a bit of time to get a feel for the car. It can feel a bit slow/lazy in normal mode, even with generous throttle inputs. Make sure you put it in Sport S+ (two turns right on the mode dial) and give it full throttle all the way to redline (it's quite a long way up there!) to get a feel for what the car can do. If in doubt check the speedo, it piles on speed alarmingly quickly, but you don't necessarily feel it as the car stays smooth and stable even at "up there" speeds.

Good luck and hopefully you get some decent open roads to really stretch the car's legs. Ask the dealer about good driving roads, they will usually point you in the right direction. If you do happen to get stuck in traffic, then just try to enjoy the other side of the RCF's dual personality which is smoothness and refinement in normal mode.

Super article Rob I am sure it will be of helpful to lots of people alongside the Ian hunter YouTube vid on leverage. 😎

• Like 1

You would assume it has FLSH but double check as it is overdue the big 6yr service which cost me £850 on mine couple of weeks ago, so hopefully it was done the last time it was in.

Something to consider/double check.

• Like 1

Given you can get the warranty pretty much just by having the car serviced at lexus at its next service, I would have to really want that car to pay main dealer tax right now.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rob RCF said:

Make sure you put it in Sport S+ (two turns right on the mode dial) and give it full throttle all the way to redline (it's quite a long way up there!) to get a feel for what the car can do.

Best done on dry roads with warm tyres and pointing in a straight line

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

Best done on dry roads with warm tyres and pointing in a straight line

Pop to a carpark... Shift to Sport S+, Traction off, hold in on the break with your left and floor it gently letting off the brake 😅 I liked to doughnut round the local tesla superchargers. 

3 minutes ago, Arnett said:

Pop to a carpark... Shift to Sport S+, Traction off, hold in on the break with your left and floor it gently letting off the brake 😅 I liked to doughnut round the local tesla superchargers. 

Lol .....the owner of your car bought from (I won't say) must be comforted by that statement 😄

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

Lol .....the owner of your car bought from (I won't say) must be comforted by that statement 😄

Its only rubber, the mechanical pieces were kept immaculately, I just liked buying rubbers. Haha

On 9/12/2021 at 7:29 PM, Ceramicolive said:

My questions are,

May be worth having a look at the new forum thread, if your a cash buyer it's a stunning car for a good price

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 7:29 PM, Ceramicolive said:

My questions are,

Are we talking Lexus Sheffield? 

Saw this come up for sale and not far away from me, so called in. 

At that stage when I called it was parked outside the dealership on the access road. Obviously unprepped. 

A quick walk around every alloy was heavily curbed and the drivers seat bolster heavily worn peering through the window. Looked tired and uncared for. 

Didn't even bother to walk into the dealership. 

Since then I've noticed it been listed and reserved several times. I assume potential owners have been keen, seen it, and then changed their minds. 

Still no actual pictures of the car, after a couple of weeks.