Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking of buying

Enyaw

Hi everyone I am looking at buying a ct200, I have a max of 14k but would prefer to spend less if possible. Looking  on auto trader is confusing me with all the different models and specs, I would like to ask is there much difference between the first models and the ones from 2014 onwards, high miles with a full service history dosnt  bother me but I don't want anything with really firm suspension. Any advice on the difference between the models would be very helpful. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Suspension is something difficult to recommend. While some find the CT hard, we find it comfortable and well suspended. The sport models will be firmer than the non sport models.

If you love listening to music while driving, the sound in a car with the Mark Levinson audio is something you do not find in many much more expensive cars; from factory.

The CT is reliable, just look at how few the problems on the CT are compared to the other models; it may even be the most reliable Lexus.

We are happy with the one we have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The reliability is what made me look at the Lexus, I've  looked through the forum pages and agree that there seem very few problems crop up. Really intrigued  to check out the sound system as I enjoy listening to music when in the car. My only concern is the cvt gearbox which I'm not sure I'd like as I've only owned manuals before, I need a test drive or two to find that out though.

3 hours ago, Enyaw said:

The reliability is what made me look at the Lexus, I've  looked through the forum pages and agree that there seem very few problems crop up. Really intrigued  to check out the sound system as I enjoy listening to music when in the car. My only concern is the cvt gearbox which I'm not sure I'd like as I've only owned manuals before, I need a test drive or two to find that out though.

This was my first CVT and going from a manual you have to adjust your driving and slowly use the accelerator rather than floor is as you will hear is rev till you get to the speed you want it to be.

I went for an F sport model as I liked the looks more than the others specs like the sport model. 

• Like 1

We live in a mountain island. Going uphill can either be nice, smooth and gentle and with no more noise than in any car with a gasoline engine; or it can be making an annoying noise if pedal is pressed to the bottom (which will not do much good either as engine is not made for power but economy). We dive to a market with fresh vegetables now and then (above 1200 m over sea level, where we live) and no problem. no noise, still able to listen to music on the way or talk to each other.

CVT is the best gear system ever made. Smooth acceleration and utterly reliable. Buying a CT is not for people wanting a formula 1 car, but for being transported form one point to another comfortably.

Economy on such a tour is far from what is promised, but that is easy to understand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Enyaw said:

When our car is being serviced and we use a manual car from family, we thank for it but love to get back to the automatic CVT.

Fed up with my manual civic to be honest, I fancy something more relaxing to drive in the stop/start traffic I always seem to be in, I very rarely get the chance to put my foot down now

I've been researching the market for a while and came to the conclusion that CT would be the best. It shares the same drivetrain as Prius and Auris but it has much better interior with possibly a slightly harsher ride but it has a somewhat luxury interior.

I've been doing my research for the last 3 months and I have noticed that once two to three weeks a gem pops for sale but it goes so fast. 

My 2 cents: go for 2014 or 2015 if possible as their piston and piston rings got updated to avoid possible head gasket issues. That doesn't happen so often in the UK anyway.

I'm also coming from a manual Jazz (which has been the most realible car ever yet) so I can't wait to pull the trigger.

Beware the second hand market is going up. The same specced CTs are about 15-30% pricier now compared to 6-10months ago.

1 hour ago, stormchaser said:

I have mine for sale but sadly its going to WBAC tommorow afternoon.

Shame I would have been very interested, your car looks spot on, if for whatever  reason your sale with wbac collapses please message me

• Like 1

@Enyaw Just like you Wayne I had only driven manual cars before I got my first Lexus GS with the cvt gearbox 10 years ago. Now I will not go back to a manual as an auto box makes for a more relaxed drive. However, the cvt transmission is totally different to a conventional auto as there is only one forward gear. This means there is no 'kickdown' when you floor the throttle as there are no lower gears to go to. As @joelfigueira rightly says you will need to adjust your driving style but it is surprising how natural this will happen. There are also three driving modes, eco, normal and sport and whichever one is selected determines the 'sharpness' of the throttle response. 

I have not owned a CT but I have had one numerous times as a courtesy car. It is a well built, well equipped and reliable small hatchback but in my personal opinion is the performance is underwhelming (although I admit that probably has something to do with driving one straight after driving a GS 450h) and I find the ride to be to firm and to harsh for my liking (again my opinion). However I still think it is a good car. There are a number of threads on the various model forums on this club's website were owners who have complained of a firm/harsh ride have alleviated the problem simply by changing the original tyres (usually Bridgestone) to another brand.

Good luck with your search and when you find the right one I'm sure you won't be disappointed.