Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

20 hours ago, Initial P said:

But which is better looking mk3 or mk4, snapped this rare picture in L&D hospital car-park.

1733211267_2021-07-2718_28.03-1.thumb.jpg.259267bc62d5508612b3c22ed89c76e5.jpg

Having owned both I personally think the Mk4 is the better looking. The side on profile of both cars is very similar but I think the Mk4 looks better from the front and rear. I always thought that the main beam headlights on the Mk3 looked like an after thought styling wise.

However, I have always thought Jaguar must have looked at the Mk3 for inspiration before they styled the XF. Their side on profiles are uncannily similar.

23 hours ago, Initial P said:

But which is better looking mk3 or mk4, snapped this rare picture in L&D hospital car-park.

1733211267_2021-07-2718_28.03-1.thumb.jpg.259267bc62d5508612b3c22ed89c76e5.jpg

I think overall I'd say the Mk4 is better looking. I think the F Sport trim looks particularly good. But it's better looking for different reasons, plus it uses the newer Lexus design which is nice. I wouldn't say Lexus have always designed 'pretty' cars. More so, premium and classy looking.

On the flip side, no V8 in a Mk4 😉

2 hours ago, Chris111 said:

Having owned both I personally think the Mk4 is the better looking. The side on profile of both cars is very similar but I think the Mk4 looks better from the front and rear. I always thought that the main beam headlights on the Mk3 looked like an after thought styling wise.

However, I have always thought Jaguar must have looked at the Mk3 for inspiration before they styled the XF. Their side on profiles are uncannily similar.

I've never made the link with an Jaguar XF.

I can see what you mean, now that I've googled it. Although, I'd say the Jaguar is a better looking car than both the mk3 and mk4 GS.

5 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

Ermm what about GS F....is that not a Mk4 ?....Screenshot_20210916-195732_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f91865e9dbf6260bcab7f8c6ab74e4d4.jpg

Sorry, I mean 'regular' GS.

I think of the F models as their own models, if that makes sense.

I knew someone would highlight this haha, you lurker!

It's for design symmetry of the rear light clusters. The nearside 'clear' section is used for the reversing light, the offside 'clear' section is used for the high intensity rear fog light (it shows red when lit). It's very common now right through the price range of all cars (in fact it's a de facto standard because you are only supposed to have one rear fog light.)

At one time they used to have two rear fog lights on many cars but they left the bulb out of the nearside one.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Initial P said:

Pet hate on the MK4 it only has one reverse light like some budget motor not sure what they were thinking with this.

I agree, my Mk3 GS450h had two, even my wife's brand new Suzuki has two. However, I believe the Mk4 Facelift cars had two reverse lights. 

• 3 weeks later...