Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does the air-con need re-gasing every two years?

Hello,

Just had the two years service. the technician recommended an air con re-gas, as per manufacturers service schedule.

The air-con is working just fine, so i declined. Is it really necessary every 24 months? or is it just a revenue earner?

Never has a re-gas on any other cars i have owned-and no problems.

Your own thoughts please would be appreciated,

Thanks

24 minutes ago, P M R said:

Hello,

Just had the two years service. the technician recommended an air con re-gas, as per manufacturers service schedule.

The air-con is working just fine, so i declined. Is it really necessary every 24 months? or is it just a revenue earner?

Never has a re-gas on any other cars i have owned-and no problems.

Your own thoughts please would be appreciated,

Thanks

Someone technical may give a better view, but I've never bothered - I always make sure I run mine regularly.  Its coming up to 7 years old now and still feels very cold to me.  I don't re-gas my fridge and that works OK so I lean towards this being an extra revenue generator rather than a needed item

• Like 3

Absolutely no need whatsoever.

It's a sealed system. The gas doesn't wear out or degrade; the oil doesn't wear out or degrade.

Unless there's a fault that's caused a leak (which would show as the system not getting as cold as it was) then it won't need "servicing".

I never turn off the aircon at all and I've never experienced a loss of gas/oil in any car I've had. Every car I've had has been just as cold on the day I sold/scrapped them as it was when I bought it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

Absolutely no need whatsoever.

It's a sealed system. The gas doesn't wear out or degrade; the oil doesn't wear out or degrade.

Unless there's a fault that's caused a leak (which would show as the system not getting as cold as it was) then it won't need "servicing".

I never turn off the aircon at all and I've never experienced a loss of gas/oil in any car I've had. Every car I've had has been just as cold on the day I sold/scrapped them as it was when I bought it.

Never turned any of mine off since I read the same advice on HJ many years ago.😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

If it ain't broken don't fix it! Money maker by the sound of it. If the aircon is NOT cold then have it done. If it is working, leave well alone. Just my thoughts.

Good point and so true!

7 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

My Celsior is 27 years old, I have owned it since 2006, it is still on the original gas (as far as I know never touched in Japan) and still ice cold.

@steve2006

Wow that's very impressive! 

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

My Celsior is 27 years old, I have owned it since 2006, it is still on the original gas (as far as I know never touched in Japan) and still ice cold.

My 23 year old LS400 aircon is still ice cold!

• Like 3

My old 2004 is300 gen 1 never had any aircon recharge according to all the full service history and bills that came with the car and never in my 8 year ownership. Still  blew very cold when I sold the car recently.

Wifes old honda accord was the same. Was very cold AC and we never touched it in our long ownership.

Maybe is isn't as efficient over time and we don't notice as it is a gradual loss in performance. But if it blows really cold on a warm day or clears a misty screen instantly it must be working ok.....

• Like 2