Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Robert,

Changing is straightforward. If you have small hands it is easier.

Remove the engine covers and at each side you see a clear plastic cover which you unscrew - something like a quarter turn. Inside you will see the bulb holder held by two spring clips. Free the clips and the bulb holder and bulb come out. Change bulb being careful not to touch the envelope of the new one. If you do touch it, wipe it clean with surgical spirit. The bulb hold locates in the housing in the correct position. Hold it in position with the spring clips. The clip is fixed to the housing so there is no fear of losing it. If you were not trying to do this though a hole only slightly bigger than you hand it would be very easy.

I have an £8 bulb one side and a £55 one the other side. I cannot tell the difference. A dealer will only fit expensive bulbs. I was quoted £85 to change a bulb which is why I found out how to do it myself.

John

IMG_6533.jpg

IMG_6534.jpg

• Like 1

I was told it was pretty tough to do with people saying that you had to jack you the car, remove the wheel and arch liner etc.. When i did mine a while back i just removed the trim pieces round the left, right and front parts of the engine the drivers side was easy enough to get to like Oldtrout says but the passenger one i had to move the top and of the airbox and move it out the way (and maybe something else i cant recall) and got my hand in. I found it was helpful to use non powder surgical gloves as not to get any skin oils on the bulb its self. I need to replace one of mine when i get the car back as it will randomly go off so i will replace both and i have also been meaning to replace the bulbs for nice white LED ones to match the hids.

• Like 1

I found this showed how easy it is to change the bulbs when I had my S3 GS. It's American so lhd but works exactly the same for cars that that drive on the correct side of the road!

If though, as @OldTrout and @ZXSpectrum have considered above you are asking about changing the main beam bulbs, the owners manual covers this. Just be warned though, when I had my S3 GS every automotive bulb seller I encountered stated that the bulb I required is HB3. Unfortunately, unlike the S1 and S2 GS, which used the HB3 bulb, the S3 GS uses HIR1 bulbs and they have a different lug fitment to HB3

Christopher,

Thanks for this video. He seems not to have the big plastic cover over the hole initially. He does explain the locating the bulb and securing with the springs well. What neither of us mentioned was not to start replacement until the lights have not been powered for say 15 minutes to ensure any remaining charge has leaked away.

John

I changed  a set on both my GS300 and GS430.

I found it much easier by removing the airbox on the left. I've managed it without it, but was much more hassle.

I have no idea how the engine bays differ in that sense to advise.

21 hours ago, OldTrout said:

What neither of us mentioned was not to start replacement until the lights have not been powered for say 15 minutes to ensure any remaining charge has leaked away.

Good point. Also, as a safety measure, because of the high voltages needed to operate HID bulbs, to isolate the headlamp circuit I removed the fuse for each headlamp before removing the bulbs.

Would I be right in thinking that the HID bulbs for the Projectors are D4S? I was also wanting a nice clean white rather than the yellowish stock bulbs so probably 5000? Or will they be too blue?

any recommendations or links would be great. I didn’t buy the previous they came with the car. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links