Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car stickers

Philocrates

Hi there,  I don’t want to damage the surface of my CT200H but need to remove a GB sticker and replace it with a UK sticker - under new regulations from the 28th Sept.  does anyone have any advice or experience as to the safest way of doing this?  There are products on the market that claim to dissolve the glue but I wonder if they do more damage.  Thank you.  

You could try heating it up gently with a hairdryer to loosen the glue

Oh, and then stick the new sticker on the window rather than the paint - note you will need a "UK" sticker not a GB sticker as per new government guidelines

1 hour ago, Neo_gsf said:

Oh, and then stick the new sticker on the window rather than the paint - note you will need a "UK" sticker not a GB sticker as per new government guidelines

29 minutes ago, Videostar said:

Hi Philocrates, my son does car re-furbishment and uses either a hot air gun (like a paint stripper) or a hair drier depending on the surface the sticker is on. He then cleans off the glue residue with isopropyl alcohol.

Cleaned off remnants bird poop after washing with isopropyl alcohol and the paint is slightly less shiny where the alcohol was.

image.gif.6ad0a1bf6b63af1551872aae9f7b66c6.gif

Here it maybe is not needed to have any national stickers as the EU license plates inform which country, we are in.

Hi @Las Palmas, my son may very well buff and polish the whole car after sorting the "bits and pieces" so it would not be obvious if the area was less shiny because the whole car will now be gleaming. Only guessing, he happened to be here when I was doing the reply and has now gone to his next job.

I seem to recall that many years ago one would apply the lightest coating of Vaseline to the proposed sticking area. As I remember it, that still enabled the sticker to, err, stick, but made removal a doddle. Certainly I had no problem with that technique, but I will also be the first to say today's paint might not be compatible with this approach, albeit I cannot see any reason why not. I feel sure that regardless, a coating on a glass surface wouldn't cause any concerns whatsoever.

Of course, you could also consider putting the sticker on one end of your number plate assuming it has sufficient room.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brian R said:

Of course, you could also consider putting the sticker on one end of your number plate assuming it has sufficient room.

this does seem the best option methinks ......  thought this is what everyone did unless you had a Classic car with a gleamy silver badge to attach prominently on the boot lid

Malc

Used a magnetic sticker on my boot last year. Can still see the area where it was placed. Marked paintwork a bit.

Stuck it in exact same place this year.

Going to take the chance with the Rozzers on the way back with the GB one.. Show them my outbound trip was before the rule was applied.

Gentlemen and ladies 

I've just copied this straight from the Govt website

The final line is very annoying ......  you must seemingly cover or remove your GB sticker 

Terrible methinks

Malc

On or after 28 September 2021

You will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a GB identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack)
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier

If your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a UK sticker.

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links