Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help me with Security System

I am going to take delivery of my Nx next weekend and worried about the car security (paranoid may be the right word).

I wonder if someone can suggest the best possible affordable security even though I am going to disable keyless entry before driving off the showroom.

I have done extensive research and wonder if GHOST 2 immobiliser with anti hijack is worth it or would something like dummy OBD alarm siren for 1/7 of the price with a Stoplock Pro would do the job.

I have checked Automatrics too and that seems to be something which helps in recovering the vehicle once it's stolen/hijacked.

Which systems have you gone for and why or why not?

TIA 

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

If you want to deter theft then something highly visible would be more effective.

AutoGhost won't stop them from breaking into the car.

Thanks for your response but have you gone for any additional security apart from the steering wheel lock 

I'm with Peter on this.

Prevention is far better than cure and any immobiliser, including the Ghost system, will only come into play after the scrotes are already in your pride and joy. Once in there they may damage something out of frustration and spite before running off.

My car sits on the driveway overnight with the keys in Faraday pouches and a big, bright yellow, Stoplock Pro Elite steering wheel lock which is very visible from outside so that they (hopefully) think it's not worth the hassle and move somewhere else to an easier target. The photo below shows the lock on our 3RX but it fits and works just as well in our 4RX that we have now.

IMG_20190120_193536.thumb.jpg.05c5205c54ccc5ce4a5b5a75b3372381.jpg

I also recently installed a GPS tracker system, not primarily as another anti-theft measure (for the same reason as stated above) but purely because I thought the price was excellent and it gives a whole host of information including monitoring Battery voltage. Of course, if I suffer the misfortune of having the car stolen, I can ring the police and tell them exactly where it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have been teaching service personnel to install alarms and always recommended to have a siren (with internal Battery and extra loud) hidden inside in the cabin in a hard to access place. Not many would sit inside a car with a 120dB in their ears.

Damage would have happened already, but some audio equipment components and other items of value would probably be left untouched.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

I have been teaching service personnel to install alarms and always recommended to have a siren (with internal battery and extra loud) hidden inside in the cabin in a hard to access place. Not many would sit inside a car with a 120dB in their ears.

Damage would have happened already, but some audio equipment components and other items of value would probably be left untouched.

On a slight tangent, we used sound bombs (audio canons) to protect secure rooms and I installed on in my car but removed it fearful it might go off unintentionally!!

We also used 'clicker' blinders at night. Sensors would detect intruders and a gentle clicking noise would attract their gaze (it's almost impossible to not look in the direction of a sound in the dark) and then an adjacent Xenon flash would go off temporarily blinding the intruders. That and the sound bomb usually left them disorientated enough for the security guards to apprehend them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The upside is that the NX is not a highly stolen car, but I would recommend a Ghost system for security. The downside however is as people have said, this wont stop them trying to break in. Be that as it may they use the same technology to break in as they do to steal and this is cloning your key signal, so at worst they make break something once inside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RajWJFWJK said:

I am going to take delivery of my Nx next weekend and worried about the car security (paranoid may be the right word).

I wonder if someone can suggest the best possible affordable security even though I am going to disable keyless entry before driving off the showroom.

I have done extensive research and wonder if GHOST 2 immobiliser with anti hijack is worth it or would something like dummy OBD alarm siren for 1/7 of the price with a Stoplock Pro would do the job.

I have checked Automatrics too and that seems to be something which helps in recovering the vehicle once it's stolen/hijacked.

Which systems have you gone for and why or why not?

TIA 

I looked at the GHOST immobiliser and anti-hijack system and was very impressed with it.  The ability to program a code based on buttons and pedals, and to change it at will, seemed to me to be a brilliant and highly secure system.

A professional thief would possibly recognise it the first time the engine died on them.  The opportunist amateur might well keep trying to crank it over and thus increase their chances of being caught.

So why didn’t I get one installed?

Well, on balance I didn’t think there was much demand for stolen 2015 IS250s.  But if I was buying new, then I would go for it.  Of course, some folk will say that a visible deterrent, such as a big steering wheel lock, will discourage a break in in the first place - and be much cheaper.

I suppose you could have both!

• Thanks 1

So here is my plan after going through many threads and speaking to the installers who are charging ridiculous amounts for these security systems which aren't foolproof.

I am going to take delivery of the car on Saturday and have ordered a Stoplock Pro Elite and Automatrics 4+ tracker as if anyone is so determined to take the car after getting rid of the steering wheel lock then tracking is possible. I am going to get the keyless entry disabled at the dealership so that key cloning/relay theft is not possible. 

Getting the car ceramic coated from a professional detailer Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light + Exov4.

I liked the idea of the loud 120db siren inside the car and may go for that too if the system is cheap.

I am thankful to you all for your suggestions and advice on the forum and I look forward to enjoying the ride in my new car.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Maybe move house to an area which has much less (car) crime? I’d hate to have that much anxiety every time I parked my car. Hope your new pride and joy doesn’t get done.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links