Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav has Disappeared!

NemesisUK

Just popped out to the car to check our destination is ready for our trip tomorrow and there's no Navigation option, no maps, no Destination option, nothing... !!

Radio works and Climate and Phone screens are there working as expected, just nothing connected with navigation. Not even in the speedo cluster, just blank!

Phoned the dealer and was advised the system most likely going through an OTA update, check again in 1/2hr. Apparently they (the dealership) has had a number of calls from customers saying their sat nav is playing up.

I didn't know my 2019 model was capable of OTA updates. Not maps update but a system update.

Most curious 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Well, that's got the techs at Lexus scratching their heads!

Will need to book in after our trip away as diagnostics shows nothing, there just is no sat nav! It's like it was never installed ...

Like you, I don’t believe the 2019 RC supports OTA software updates.  Is your car registered with LexusLink and have you ever at some time in the past    successfully used the satnav via the relative app on your phone?  If so, you might want to try to use the app again and see if it reactivates the system in-car. 

Yes, previously successfully used the app to transfer destinations to the car.

The app still has all my saved destinations but the send to car button is inoperative. The app successfully locates the car's current position, so there is some sort of online connectivity.

It's all very strange!

Not checked but as you say, the screen works fine so assume all is well with the sensor.

As posted before, it's as if the sat nav function was never installed. There are no options or links, buttons or tabs to call up the maps or destination list.

The physical Map button above the touch pad does nothing, not a flicker on the display. I don't even have the compass/direction indicator in the multifunction display in the speedo. 

Tried the nav today and it gave me 3 routes. Testing first the ecologic route and that would have been a disaster as it showed the short way but through a valley and then a climb so whatever ecologic in that is hard to see. The fast route was using a highway, but to get to that would have been through very small roads where going fast could not really be recomended.

Did not use the nav as I know the little island well, just had some spare time and would see if latest update had made the nav better.

Recommended: Smartphone and Google Map.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mikey2001 said:

Possbily another silly suggestion; would it be worth trying to eject/re-insert the SD card (assuming the RC is like the RX in this regard, and you've not tried this already)?

Ah! That's an idea. My old RC had a card but this one has ML and no little flap. Shall have a search this morning 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Ah! That's an idea. My old RC had a card but this one has ML and no little flap. Shall have a search this morning 👍

The one we have has ML and micro-SD-card.

billede.thumb.png.dfefae341bceae14991513e63d85f67d.png

Would not be surprised if Lexus made the new models to be "update only possible by Lexus service".

17 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

Just popped out to the car to check our destination is ready for our trip tomorrow and there's no Navigation option, no maps, no Destination option, nothing... !! 

This happened to me once while driving. The whole sat nav section just disappeared. After a 20 minute stop at a motorway services it was back to normal and hasn’t happened since.

I don’t think there is any SD card on these models. All the updates are done by a USB stick in the USB port. The maps can update OTA (I think) and you can also update them using Lexus-tech.eu website. Your RC is a year newer than mine though so might be the MM19 version rather than MM17.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DanD said:

HAve you tried a reboot of the system: long press of the on/off button.

I did, first thing tried "switch it off and on again" starting point for any electronic glitches 😉

Service manager had a look at it just before we went on our short break and seemed to think a "hard reset" is next. That needs Techstream apparently. Waiting for a call back today to get it in the workshop.

I still think it was something to do with the ADAS recalibration done with the last service. He is of the opinion they are completely different systems so shouldn't be linked but that and the service is the only thing that's been done to the car recently (just days before discovering the sat-nav disappearance) 

• 2 weeks later...

So, a brief update. Took the car in to the dealership for them to try the 'hard reset' to try and reinstall the sat nav function.

After 2hrs wait the service chap came out to say the reset didn't work and Techstream is reporting the Sat Nav module is disconnected.....

He explained they would have to remove the multimedia unit to check the connections and this would take a good few hours and he would arrange a courtesy car. Fine I said, no problems.

He then started to look rather apologetic and explained that the 2hrs diagnostics wasn't covered under the warranty but he could try and get a 50% reduction as goodwill. I thanked him for the offer but explained the car is just 2yrs old, the Sat Nav was functioning normally and now isn't so I don't expect to pay for them to discover what must surely be a manufacturing problem (loose connector, broken wire, broken nav module) and he should have a word with his manager.

Two mins later he returned to say everything was covered and hoped it would be sorted to my satisfaction and that they could restore my confidence in Lexus. I think he got a rocket from his manager!

So, a rather nice NX300h is sitting on my driveway and I await the phone call as to what the problem was.

• Like 2

I hope my screen is not acting up in sympathy with yours (🤞) but whenever I change the map scale it now momentarily goes blank before reverting to business as usual.

Just had a call from my dealership. The tech has disassembled the multimedia and dash area and can find nothing wrong, no loose connectors or wires. 

Advised they would have to investigate further checking the multimedia unit and associated looms.

It strange that the multimedia unit works perfectly normally on radio and other functions such as climate control and telephone. Dry joint on the Nav circuit board?

Well, I shall enjoy the NX for another day (at least...)

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Just had a call from my dealership. The tech has disassembled the multimedia and dash area and can find nothing wrong, no loose connectors or wires. 

Advised they would have to investigate further checking the multimedia unit and associated looms.

It strange that the multimedia unit works perfectly normally on radio and other functions such as climate control and telephone. Dry joint on the Nav circuit board?

Well, I shall enjoy the NX for another day (at least...)

It sounds very similiar to what happened with the IS300h when I disconnected the Battery. The newer units have navigation module running separately to the radio and other systems unlike the early models of the IS which conk out completely. 

I imagine the navigation module is toast. Should be covered under warranty. Lexus couldnt work out why ours had conked out either

• Like 1

Update..

Still none the wiser. Lexus rang to say they have performed a complete software update on the car as suggested by Lexus Tech. No change.

Lexus Tech have now requested meter readings from various wiring looms, which my dealership have provided and they await a response.

I asked, trying to understand the problem, why they couldn't test the sat nav module independently of the car. Not possible apparently. They also said they cannot swap out the unit and try another as they are coded to the car and cannot be recoded.

Beggars belief one cannot test these things on the bench.

The mystery continues....

Mechanical reliability seems to be what Lexus is in front with.

Software seems to be a different story.

The more complex things are, the harder it is to fix them.

Maybe an older model is the way forward?

Navigation in the one we have sucks, but it sucks reliable.

Peter:  Whatever the solution to the mystery will be, I imagine you are thanking your lucky stars that the car is still under warranty.  How long will Lexus Tech take to respond?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links