Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Optional extras

beyond the blue

I placed my order for a 2022 ES300h a couple of weeks ago and was told I had 3 options, the Base model, Premium edition or the Takumi package, I chose the Premium edition. There didn't appear to be individual optional extras like camera wing mirrors, leather seats etc, or at least I wasn't offered any. I assumed you had to take the full Takumi package to get the extras. The last new car I bought I was bombarded with offers.

What car was it that you had prior to the ES that was bombarded with offers?

Lexus are surprisingly inclusive with what you get in each tier of the car tbh, its one thing that Ive always admired and also hated. It means going for any other brand makes me grit my teeth a tad 

Was you not offered the F-Sport ? It sits between Premium and Takumi and has all the Takumi addons usually available to it. As it has a more aggressive styling. 

This link shows the various model comparisons, I assume with the Premium model you get all the base model fittings plus the Premium fitting like 18” wheels instead of 17”.

There is also a “Customise my ES” option for paint colour, trim and interior.

Like Sam mentioned no F Sport version offered?

https://www.lexus.co.uk/car-models/es/build/?path=choose-grade/82bb35a9-e41e-4809-bca8-2be543ec22a3/4f326f71-8a10-420a-9b93-a75eb0dd5c82

you should have bought a half dozen of the Takumi model :wink3:

Possibly better than cash sitting in the bank earning 0.01% or summat like that  ...............  and sold them off individually at a premium in this current market maybe :unsure:

Malc

Are you leasing an in stock car from a broker and mostly speaking with them on the phone ? I think they will only tell you about what they have in stock.

If it is a factory order then I am surprised you were not explained every little thing in detail. My buying experience (a factory order) has been that even individual colour options were clearly pointed out as some of them are more expensive than others.

Not to mention the "take-home" test drive to be completely sure about what I was getting into in the exact spec I wanted to buy (except the colours) i.e. Standard + Premium Pack, which is different from Premium Edition (which I was offered just before confirming my order as the Premium Edition was a late update to the ES line up and the Premium Edition was coming in cheaper than Premium Pack)

Lexus Dealership experience is, for the want of a better word, perfect. Far far better than the Germans. None of the three German brands were able to find a test drive car for the spec I was interested in buying and one of them only allowed 15 minutes in the car ! (And I know why as I was test driving it, the car computer had started to show interesting warnings within the first 5 minutes such as... Lane Departure Assist not available, I am sure in more than 15 minutes it would have fallen apart spontaneously)

--E

2 hours ago, Arnett said:

What car was it that you had prior to the ES that was bombarded with offers?

Lexus are surprisingly inclusive with what you get in each tier of the car tbh, its one thing that Ive always admired and also hated. It means going for any other brand makes me grit my teeth a tad 

Was you not offered the F-Sport ? It sits between Premium and Takumi and has all the Takumi addons usually available to it. As it has a more aggressive styling. 

Previous was an Audi. The Audi comes with a wheel at each corner, everything else is an extra. The first thing I told the saleswoman was I didn't want any car that mentioned the word 'sport'. At 70yrs old I want a smooth slow comfy ride, my sporting days are over.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, e-yes said:

Are you leasing an in stock car from a broker and mostly speaking with them on the phone ? I think they will only tell you about what they have in stock.

If it is a factory order then I am surprised you were not explained every little thing in detail. My buying experience (a factory order) has been that even individual colour options were clearly pointed out as some of them are more expensive than others.

Not to mention the "take-home" test drive to be completely sure about what I was getting into in the exact spec I wanted to buy (except the colours) i.e. Standard + Premium Pack, which is different from Premium Edition (which I was offered just before confirming my order as the Premium Edition was a late update to the ES line up and the Premium Edition was coming in cheaper than Premium Pack)

Lexus Dealership experience is, for the want of a better word, perfect. Far far better than the Germans. None of the three German brands were able to find a test drive car for the spec I was interested in buying and one of them only allowed 15 minutes in the car ! (And I know why as I was test driving it, the car computer had started to show interesting warnings within the first 5 minutes such as... Lane Departure Assist not available, I am sure in more than 15 minutes it would have fallen apart spontaneously)

--E

Not leasing, outright purchase.

2 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

At 70yrs old I want a smooth slow comfy ride, my sporting days are over.

Oh my, then why on earth didn't you buy yourself a brilliant ( now old'ish mind you )  Ls400 .........  purring 4ltr V8 with 0 - 60 in 6.9 secs and too high a top speed to worry about

Nothing sporty about it at all, just a PWR kick down when you need to burn the pants off Boy Racers at the lights and supreme floating along comfort at any .....  or even motorway speeds ..... and with supreme reliability and security and saved yourself the best part of £30k  ........... or maybe you need all those fandangled digi bits and pieces to play with :thumbsup:

Good luck with your new machine whatever:yes:

Malc

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

Previous was an Audi. The Audi comes with a wheel at each corner, everything else is an extra. The first thing I told the saleswoman was I didn't want any car that mentioned the word 'sport'. At 70yrs old I want a smooth slow comfy ride, my sporting days are over.

Possibly your mistake and also the dealers for not clarifying what F-Sports are properly. F-Sport is a trim version, same engine. Not really sporty. The Lexus "RS" or "M" Equivalent are merely the letter "F". And the only one fully available is the RC-F  (Not to be confused with the Lexus RC F-Sport) 

The F cars are the high performance monsters. The F-Sport have (in my opinion) Nicer grilles better colours more toys and more aggressive styling . -Comparison below

ES.png

7 minutes ago, Malc said:

Oh my, then why on earth didn't you buy yourself a brilliant ( now old'ish mind you )  Ls400 .........  purring 4ltr V8 with 0 - 60 in 6.9 secs and too high a top speed to worry about

Nothing sporty about it at all, just a PWR kick down when you need to burn the pants off Boy Racers at the lights and supreme floating along comfort at any .....  or even motorway speeds ..... and with supreme reliability and security and saved yourself the best part of £30k  ........... or maybe you need all those fandangled digi bits and pieces to play with :thumbsup:

Good luck with your new machine whatever:yes:

Malc

I once had a Jaguar XJ8 Sovereign (load of crap but looked fantastic). At a set of lights the boy racer pulled up at the side of me and his girlfriend signalled for me to wind my window down, expecting the usual race offer but instead she said 'are you anyone famous'. 

24 minutes ago, beyond the blue said:

The first thing I told the saleswoman was I didn't want any car that mentioned the word 'sport'. 

Well then Sir that explains why you weren't introduced to F-Sport 🙂 (Although I have a feeling I know what that F stands for in the ES300h F-Sport)

If you were not told about the Premium Pack v/s Premium Edition then I would recommend you speak to the dealership about that.

There are subtle differences event they sounds very similar. Most notably Premium Pack (and NOT the Premium Edition) brings...

-  Real leather memory seats for the driver which are Ventilated as well as Heated. You also get the extensible thigh support which is linked to seat memory. I have two settings saved one for motorway and one for local driving. The seat position memory also ties in the steering wheel position and also the wing mirrors. Also these seats and the overall climate system can be set in "full-auto" and the car will take care of turning on the ventilation or heating on the seats depending on the temperature.

-  3-beam Adaptive LED headlights. Makes a lot of difference driving in the dark. It identifies road signs and projects a portion of the beam specifically on road signs. Also, has the more "courteous" high beams as it will project light in  way to not bother other drivers but still keep the road illuminated as much as possible.

Premium Edition gives you that lovely large screen... but I am not sure I need a bigger screen to stare at rather than the above two features mentioned.

Premium Pack has other features such as a retractable blind on the rear windscreen but I am ambivalent about that. Nice to have but not a necessity especially with the privacy glass.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

--E

I thought I would chip-in on this thread. Mine's a Premium Edition picked-up a couple of weeks ago.

I've had five Lexus' and not much to complain about. The ES replaced a '98 GS300 which I had for 23 years and it never put a foot wrong. Toyota/Lexus are to be admired for the durability of their cars.

The ES is designed to entertain as well as drive nicely. Loads of little features and the driver information on the dash make for a most pleasant outing. Even on the humble Premium Edition all the important goodies are there. Also getting 50+ mpg on a run (I got 24 on the GS) is going some for such a big car. In particular, it sticks to the road like glue on cornering and is no slouch when acceleration is needed.

I do have one gripe which I'm going to take up with Lexus. On the Premium Pack the door mirrors fold in when the doors are locked (or optionally when the power switch is deactivated). You can't have the Premiumr Edition and Premium Pack in combination and as stated, you don't get the big display on the latter.

All of the components are there to make it happen - the windows and sunroof can be dealer-set to close automatically on locking, but not the mirrors. The mirrors are motorised by manual operation of a door-mounted switch. Lexus have 'remmed-out' the mirrors command on the Premium Edition although it would cost them nothing to include it. This is very un-Lexus.

The facility matters to me as I have it on my other vehicles and a casual glance gives me assurance that they have been locked for the night.

Like I said - not much to complain about!

Having worked the configurator and speaking with the dealerships, my conclusion was that F-Sport + Tech Pack is probably the most optimal combination.

It includes pretty much everything which I consider important i.e. Memory Seats, 3-Beam LED. But also includes the larger screen.

But it leaves out stuff which can be done without i.e. Ventilated Seats, Real Leather + Thigh Support.

And, it still comes in under 40k so saves the luxury surcharge on VED.

Takumi is too much money for the drive train. For that much money I'd expect a bit more eagerness from it.

However, for me personally I think I could not come to terms with the F-Sport seats hence went with Premium Pack instead.

Premium Edition is the best value for money at this point in time if one doesn't share the car in the family. It is a major pain in the back to get into the car and not being able to find the ideal position and set it up all over again because the wife moved it way too close, way too high up 😕

EDIT : Just checked again. F-Sport + Tech Pack is now over 40k so will be liable for the luxury surcharge !

Edited by e-yes
Correction