Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

400h fuel tank size & refuelling

I've done 3,000 miles in my recently acquired 2007 100k miles 400h, I had a cambelt and water pump change and it feels ready for another 100k. I seem to be averaging 33.5mpg as I do a fair bit of motorway driving now, I'm not a slow driver and anything over 80 seems to kill the mpg though (aerodynamics I guess). I'm generally very happy. Anyway, on to my question. The manual says the fuel tank holds 65 litres. the most I have managed to squeeze in is 56 litres. How low can I go after the fuel light comes on. In theory at least another 30 miles from where I have got to (which is fuel light +35 miles or so). Just thought I'd see if anyone has actually got more than say 60 litres in??

I ask because I had a Merc CLS before with an alleged 80 litre tank. The most I ever got in was 69 litres.

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Obviously not a good idea to run low on fuel, especially in a hybrid - not sure why but I read it somewhere on here!

https://lexus2.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8141/~/if-i-run-out-of-gas%2C-can-i-use-electricity-to-drive-a-hybrid%3F

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trefor said:

How low can I go after the fuel light comes on.

Don't even be tempted to try it. I never let mine get to less than 1/4 full.

If you do run out of petrol then you'll need at least 10 litres (preferably 15) in the tank before trying to start the car. If you have more than 3 failed attempts to restart it, the hybrid system could lock out and you'll need the dealer to reset it.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Don't even be tempted to try it. I never let mine get to less than 1/4 full.

If you do run out of petrol then you'll need at least 10 litres (preferably 15) in the tank before trying to start the car. If you have more than 3 failed attempts to restart it, the hybrid system could lock out and you'll need the dealer to reset it.

+1

Lots of reasons to never get below 1/4 full. And indeed, why would you... 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

We have all been there in our past Piers. Money wasn`t always so easy to find.

Fair point - well made.

• Like 3

Thanks all, yes I am quite technical and I understand running out can mean the hybrid Battery gets drained/can cause an issue if the engine won't start to charge it. I don't plan on playing fuel light bingo much at all. But I am interested in how petrol much people have squeezed into this alleged 65 litre fuel tank. I got 56 litres in which means another 60+ miles of driving would theoretically have been possible. I would not gamble but I now know that I have at least 40 miles after the fuel light comes on - can save having to stop on the way home late at night etc.

• Like 1