Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Test dine 300e

Yes I did mean to write test dine,my local Lexus dealer invited us to test drive the new Lexus electric 300e and for doing this you can choose a country pub from a small selection and they will pick up the tab for a two course meal,excluding drinks!So yesterday we picked the 300e Takumi up and went for a drive,for comparison our car at the moment is a UX Takumi F-sport.The first thing you notice when you drive away is the acceleration it feels really quick much quicker than our hybrid version.We started our test drive with a small bit of motorway driving and strangely the noise level or lack of it felt exactly the same as our car,we then got on to some lovely country roads and this is where I feel the compact size and acceleration of the UX comes into its own it was really easy to hustle the car along,although we both noticed the suspension felt a bit softer and not quite as sure footed as our F-sport.On a personal level I prefer the chunkier steering wheel on the F-sport and I also prefer the F-sport seats which wrap around a bit more but this is purely personal and my wife thought the 300e seats felt exactly the same!The only other Electric car I have driven is a BMW i3 and I did not like the brake regeneration at all but I didn’t even notice it on the Lexus.

To summarise,Lexus have of course made a very capable electric car,I think the problem is the hybrid version is so much cheaper ,my wife was amazed when I told her the car we were driving is nearly £10000 more than ours,although just having a trawl through Autotrader I see  used cars with very little mileage have good discounts.
So for a first electric car it’s a good start but what  I’m really looking forward to seeing and driving is the next level NX plug in halo,I think this would really suit us as a combo of hybrid petrol for long journeys and ev for up to 40 miles.

• Like 4

Hello Ian.

It was good to read your report as I had thought that the 300e would be my first EV but when I saw the price and specs I didn't feel ready to consider it. I too am waiting to look at the new NX when I'm back to 'buying time'.

I think the 300e is aimed at a very specific driver profile and I may look at one, if an NX doesn't suit me, when that 'buying time' comes around as I fit the profile.

John a man after my own heart,food first!The pub was the Neeld arms in Grittleton it’s an old coaching inn and a very friendly establishment,friendly staff and good food and drink,if you are not to far away well worth a visit,it has a good selection of real ales as well.As for the food selection  my wife had Brie in breadcrumbs to start followed by homemade steak and red wine pie,she said it was scrummy,I had prawns in chilli and lime with a tomato salsa followed by the steak both were very good but I did get food envy when one of the locals had the kidneys which did look rather good,unfortunately no room for pud!As for drinks my wife had two large glasses of Sauvignon blanc and myself being designated driver for the day had a ginger beer followed by coffee.

59 minutes ago, Lexux said:

Hello Ian.

It was good to read your report as I had thought that the 300e would be my first EV but when I saw the price and specs I didn't feel ready to consider it. I too am waiting to look at the new NX when I'm back to 'buying time'.

I think the 300e is aimed at a very specific driver profile and I may look at one, if an NX doesn't suit me, when that 'buying time' comes around as I fit the profile.

Pete,

Yes you are right this it aimed at a very specific driver profile,and like you I will see what the new NX is like.For us it really does depend if we have 2 cars or not,at the moment my wife has a company car and I have the Lexus,I’m retired so use the car mainly for smaller journeys like going to the golf club and taking the dog out,we use my wife’s company car for longer journeys,but when she retires we will have to see if we need two cars or not and if we do then an ev could be on the cards.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kissu said:

John a man after my own heart,food first!The pub was the Neeld arms in Grittleton it’s an old coaching inn and a very friendly establishment,friendly staff and good food and drink,if you are not to far away well worth a visit,it has a good selection of real ales as well.As for the food selection  my wife had Brie in breadcrumbs to start followed by homemade steak and red wine pie,she said it was scrummy,I had prawns in chilli and lime with a tomato salsa followed by the steak both were very good but I did get food envy when one of the locals had the kidneys which did look rather good,unfortunately no room for pud!As for drinks my wife had two large glasses of Sauvignon blanc and myself being designated driver for the day had a ginger beer followed by coffee.

Thank you Ian.

Now, that`s what makes a more complete answer in which the car, the food experience and the Establishment almost but not quite, push the wife`s  gastronomic organism into oblivion. Scrummy is indeed a word to die for. Almost reminds me of my Jam Roly Poly time at School Dinners !

I see that you have a multitude of Inns and presumably adjoining Restaurants surrounding you  in the region of Royal WB and you are one very lucky boy to be test driving a Lexus in such majesterial surroundings.

If you can have a quiet word with the Dealer Principal at your local Lexus-ship he might let you test a new model on an occasional basis and allow you to serve up more fine helpings to us fellow hungry beings ?👍👍👍

Many thanks. 

• Like 1

John,

What a jolly fine idea,how can the dealer principal refuse?

Although I’m a bit aggrieved at the moment as my wife is on holiday this week and I am just about to take her out for lunch but I’ve got to pay!

And yes some fine places to dine not too far away

• Like 1

Ian i was in the dealers yesterday getting mine serviced. There were only 2 cars in the showroom an RX and the UX300e. There was an empty space for another vehicle i think that's were the new NX will stand. I went and had a look at the 300e its not dissimilar in style etc to my 250h . One thing i noticed was the boot floor appeared lower giving more capacity. Internally the gear lever i dont think its called that on an EV is it was smaller this one had the cream leather seats. I spoke with the manager about various things EV things are changing fast. I think its a good car but very expensive in my opinion and also the mileage you get on a charge is not great. I have just come back from Cornwall i wouldn't dare attempt the journey in an EV but i know a few do.

Alan,

Well that’s strange because in our showroom there were only two cars and one was a UX300e.

Yes you are right the boot floor is lower in the ev so a bit more room for luggage.

Totally agree with you it’s a great car but for me overpriced and as you say it’s a very quickly changing market,it will be interesting to see the development with the next generation of Lexus cars.

37 minutes ago, Kissu said:

John,

What a jolly fine idea,how can the dealer principal refuse?

Although I’m a bit aggrieved at the moment as my wife is on holiday this week and I am just about to take her out for lunch but I’ve got to pay!

And yes some fine places to dine not too far away

Ian old son, having sewn the seed I will leave the germination process in your capable hands.

Think of the interest amongst members and all of the free advertising the Dealership will receive and the clamour amongst local Establishments to be next on your lists of places to be visited !

I shall maintain a watching brief and if I ever happen to be in your neck of the woods in my trusty GS450H, IT1LL BE YOUR TURN TO BUY!😉😉

• Haha 1

So after placing your food order did you then consider the car left outside in the warm weather?

”and the Lexus will have a large bowl of Toyota Summer Coolant please, don’t worry it’s very friendly feel free to stroke it’s glossy coat. If it gets hungry later we may have to use one of your spare plug sockets” 😀

• Haha 2