Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

CatLoc Rattle

SRVO

Due to the huge rise in catalytic converter thefts, I thought I'd play it safe and get a Catloc fitted for peace of mind. Lexus installed it yesterday, however since collecting the car, I've noticed a subtle but definite rattle. It's most noticeable at lower speeds (I guess because the car is quieter). Is this common or something I should go back to Lexus about? I just wanted to check if anyone else has had a similar experience with the Catlocs in case Lexus fob me off when I call them. 

It's such as shame as the silence of the CT is one of the things I love about the car.

There are a few people noticing the 'catloc rattle'.

One guy on here even took the car back the next day to get them to remove it because the noise was that bad.

My personal opinion is that it's not worth having a Catloc fitted because it'll only slow them down a bit, it won't stop them altogether. The time taken for their car to arrive on scene, remove cat and drive away again is about 90 seconds to 2 minutes tops. A catloc will slow them down a bit but certainly not long enough for the police to arrive and I wouldn't advise tackling them yourself because the 'lookout guy' always has a machete or some other nasty weapon.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Herbie said:

There are a few people noticing the 'catloc rattle'.

One guy on here even took the car back the next day to get them to remove it because the noise was that bad.

My personal opinion is that it's not worth having a Catloc fitted because it'll only slow them down a bit, it won't stop them altogether. The time taken for their car to arrive on scene, remove cat and drive away again is about 90 seconds to 2 minutes tops. A catloc will slow them down a bit but certainly not long enough for the police to arrive and I wouldn't advise tackling them yourself because the 'lookout guy' always has a machete or some other nasty weapon.

Cheers Herbie. I thought that would probably be the case. It seems a shame to have to put up with a worse driving experience because someone 'might' steal the cat (and chances are, they may well steal it with the catloc fitted anyway). I just don't want to kick myself by removing it for the silence and then get landed with a £2k bill to replace a stolen cat as a result 😕

On 9/26/2021 at 7:00 PM, SRVO said:

Thanks lyserman and rob_clio172. I've called Lexus and they agree it shouldn't make any noise, so I'm heading back there next week to adjust it. 

Was about to say I got mine fitted when I purchase the car 3 months back and I have had no noise or rattle from it.

what you may want to do is slow down on the speed bumps you get in car parks as I have caught the cat lock once and when I look at the car from a distance you can see the cat loc ever so slightly 

Having read what Herbie mean and do not want to carry a double barrel as proposed by Steve, I see no real reason to spend extra on a catlock. Will ask Lexus how much they will charge to install a tilt sensor even though Herbie mean that is no use either.