Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

A true friend thinks that you are a good egg if only a little cracked 😂

A friend will not tell the police about the murder, a true friend will help you bury the body…..🤫

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/8/2021 at 3:13 PM, Sundance said:

No E5 to be seen.

Not fuelled up since before this fiasco.  Now down to a quarter (65'ish miles) so on my way to Sainsbury's I routed past 6 fuel outlets, all within a 5 mile radius.  Those that were open had very short queues BUT ... 2 were open for everything else but no E5 (1x Esso, 1x Shell), 2 had no fuel at all (1x BP, 1x Shell), and 2x (1x Esso, 1x Shell) only had diesel.

Hey-ho, better luck next week then. 🙄

At last, found some E5 ... at a cost! £1.59.9ppl thank you very much ... that's £7.20 per gallon FFS! Ludicrous 😡.

Non-compatible IS250 anyone? 🙄

I think I'll contact Lexus to see what they can recommend re an additive to E10 ... if one exists that is! 🤔

I noticed today that tesco has put up the price if E5 by 3ppl to 143.9.

As for an additive there is one by Millers Oils only thing is its expensive. £15 a tank full rings a bell.

Mr Vlad, or indeed anyone else with a maths degree:whistling:

Have any maths / research been done yet to indicate if using E5, whatever the octane, 97 or 99, actually improves mpg over and above the new E10 ( with reduced petrol content presumably ) and how that works out in ££££ cost benefits ...  if any at all  ?

OR INDEED if there really is zero point in even trying to work this all out at this stage :unsure:

Thank you for any help 

Malc

AND I do know that whatever the above results we,  each of us, really has to stick to the newly recommended fuel for our car

18 hours ago, Sundance said:

I think I'll contact Lexus to see what they can recommend re an additive to E10 ... if one exists that is! 🤔

Lexus got back to me with this comment ...

"I am afraid that if your vehicle is not compatible with E10 there is no additive that will resolve the issue."

Hey-ho, c'est la vie, my guess is that Lexus clearly do not want to admit even if there is a solution.

1 hour ago, Sundance said:

Lexus got back to me with this comment ...

"I am afraid that if your vehicle is not compatible with E10 there is no additive that will resolve the issue."

Hey-ho, c'est la vie, my guess is that Lexus clearly do not want to admit even if there is a solution.

There is a vid on you tube explaining how to extract ethanol from fuel? 

Millers Olis EPS is specifically made to counter the effects of E10 on our cars that can't use the stuff. Halfords price £10.99 for a 250ml one shot bottle however Millers recommend 250ml per 15l petrol.

So far using E5 I can't say I've noticed any change in fuel economy. Mind you I'm no Miss Daisey but more like a nutter. Trip to Leeds not sticking to any limits and flooring it my trip computer stated 27.8mpg. More than happy with that. Maybe I'll try a sedate trip next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

There is a vid on you tube explaining how to extract ethanol from fuel? 

if I was back at school now ( in the dark ages ) I'd probably be up in the physics lab experimenting with a bunsen burner to check out any spectacular effects :yahoo:

Malc

4 hours ago, Malc said:

if I was back at school now ( in the dark ages ) I'd probably be up in the physics lab experimenting with a bunsen burner to check out any spectacular effects :yahoo:

Malc

Bunsen burner plus gsoline will keep you warm for a while.

billede.png.e4b002bb4c8779059585433ec5d2c963.png

Don't let teacher see you doing it.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 4:19 PM, Sundance said:

At last, found some E5 ... at a cost! £1.59.9ppl thank you very much ... that's £7.20 per gallon FFS! Ludicrous 😡.

Non-compatible IS250 anyone? 🙄

Given that newer IS250s (2008 onwards I think?) are fine for E10, there is definitely a way to future-proof our cars - Lexus UK just doesn't want to help us. They're not in the business of extending the life of older cars - they want to sell new cars! They are probably angry with the Japanese engineers for making the cars so freaking reliable in the first place :wink3:

For example, I would think, if you took parts off a junkyard 2009 model and installed on your older model, it would then work with E10. I wonder if anyone has looked into this yet? (I am gradually doing an overhaul of my 2007 model so I would be interested in this.)

I'm guessing it's predominantly the fuel pumps that are the issue (there's one pump in the fuel tank and one on top of the left valve cover.)

Just had this pop into my email……whether it does exactly as it says is another matter.

“E10 petrol has arrived in UK fuel stations, replacing the customary E5 formula for standard petrol. The good news is, you can use Redex petrol fuel additives safely with E10 fuel, so you can continue to benefit from improved engine health and performance.  It also provides an additional protective layer to prevent corrosion from the increased ethanol content found in E10 Petrol, which means that even if your car was manufactured before 2011 you can use E10 fuel safely by adding Redex as well.”

E5 - E10.

What are they doing to us?

Need to buy something that pollutes in order to lubricate the engines when using E10?

What is the environment gain if it is so?

Here we have V-Power and E5, so far has not seen E10. Price is up about 10% since last month, but still cheaper than many other places.

Is 2016 - 2017 CT OK with both or is it a gamble?

And just found out that buying from UK is close to impossible now on eBay. Will not send to me here outside the EU-VAT-zone. Brexit just got worse for us. For you it might become catastrophic.

The redex stuff isn't the ordinary one you have to look for an E10 logo on the bottle. Research needs to be done on this stuff me thinks before trying it and comparing price using it with E10 and just E5.

28 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

E5 - E10.

What are they doing to us?

Need to buy something that pollutes in order to lubricate the engines when using E10?

What is the environment gain if it is so?

Here we have V-Power and E5, so far has not seen E10. Price is up about 10% since last month, but still cheaper than many other places.

Is 2016 - 2017 CT OK with both or is it a gamble?

And just found out that buying from UK is close to impossible now on eBay. Will not send to me here outside the EU-VAT-zone. Brexit just got worse for us. For you it might become catastrophic.

https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

If so, why would some put in Redex or other stuff that will only make driving more expensive?

Whatever government (no matter where in the world) is telling, we should be careful believing it. All in charge are only working for their own best, and care little about us.

6 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

If so, why would some put in Redex or other stuff that will only make driving more expensive?

Whatever government (no matter where in the world) is telling, we should be careful believing it. All in charge are only working for their own best, and care little about us.

That list is compiled from the manufacturers…….it’s just collated and issued on the GOV.U.K. Site because it’s convenient.

As for the Redex…….just because some people always know better 😉

1 hour ago, Boxbrownie said:

As for the Redex…….just because some people always know better 😉

Long time ago when I was working for Mercedes there was some new stuff to clean valves and more in the engine.

2 dirty taxi engines needed to be cleaned and one was with the new stuff (that could have been Redex or something else) and the other with carbonized water (agua con gas ( I live in Gran Canaria now)).

Both engines had a lot of smoke coming from exhaust pipe and both engines were controlled. Valves were clean in both and the water was by far cheapest so that was being used after the test.

• Like 1