Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

6 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

A part of me believes this is just oil companies and retailers recouping lost profits during the various lockdowns 

Yes that was something the petrol retailers association was saying - their members had all raised prices to increase profit margins and recoup losses and cope with lower demand that was still only about two thirds of pre pandemic (now buying is back to normal) - if I recall correctly that was adding about 2p extra to a litre - my local Sainsbury’s is 134.9p a litre for E10 and seems to be the lowest in the immediate area around it by 1 to 2p per litre from the BP and ESSO and a whopping 10 to 12p a litre less than the Shell and ESSO stations a few miles away... 

• Like 1

Yes I noticed on Wednesday tesco again put the price up to 147.9. Thing is this particular station didn't have any issues of massive queues or running out of any fuels. Pure greed in my opinion. 

On 10/19/2021 at 7:35 AM, wharfhouse said:

Fuel duty is 57.95p per litre (been frozen at this for around the last 10 years) and then 20% vat on the total per litre price (vat charged on the fuel duty so that is double taxed...) 

Should 5% appear too small.

Be thankful I don't take it all.

I am the taxman.

Here V-Power 1.31€

9 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

There's an interesting point here Paul, all our pension companies rely on corporates such as BP and Shell etc to make profits to pay our pensions. But by upping the price of petrol does this actually mean we are funding our own monthly payments partly ourselves through buying petrol? And of course it means reducing impact on our original investment fund - clever or what? 🤔

We are certainly funding the growth of out pensions by making these companies more profitable.

2 hours ago, rik104 said:

Hi Paul. Off topic but I'm looking to buy a NX300H. I have a RX450 2010 and RX400 2006 but want to try NX. any advice in my search. Thanks in advance.

Hi. You’ll find loads of buying advice and ownership experiences in the NX forum if you look for it. Happy to answer any specific questions.

Been out and about today. 147.9 at Shell, 144.9 at Esso and 141.9 at Gulf round where I live. The 150 a litre is just around the corner I think. All for normal unleaded.

150 a litre, £6.75 a gallon, say 40mpg, so just under 17p per mile for fuel alone. Factor in insurance, servicing, etc and motoring is getting to be very expensive. Negative depreciation at the moment which eases things a little but even so, are we approaching an era where motoring starts to become too expensive for more and more people?

That's why more and more folk are keeping their cars and not replacing them with newer models. As for servicing I don't think there's much difference. Negative depreciation? Mmmmm it's the car dealers taking the P**S pure and simple going alongside the hike in fuel prices. 

Oh Rik. Why do you want a NX when you have a far superior car in the RX? A friend of a brother had a NX and git rid as soon as he could. Economy was a joke as was performance. Only passing on what I e been told so NX owners don't shoot me. I personally think the NX is a waste of everything. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I personally think the NX is a waste of everything. 

Hah, now thats a statement!  Cant agree i think its a fine car but with some drawbacks. Not enough torque for the weight of the car which makes the revs go wild when overtaking for instance.Engine could be more powerful and its getting a bit old now but replacement is round the corner. Friend of mine has an NX and drives to spain and back average 5 times a year. Never missed a beat!

• Like 1

Prices have been gradually rising instead of shooting up. That's a herding action. Blame is being put on car drivers themselves, claiming we're panicking, which is a circular argument.

Those of us who have worked in the oil sector, know refineries take an age and a fortune to shut down and start up again. That's why they formed OPEC to manage supply. It's also why the occasionally perform propaganda stunts to panic people into buying. It's also why they sometimes hire shipping to store the excess and why during the lockdown oil prices went negative.

France is now offering €100 to the middle classes for fuel instead of ramping up supplies to meet demand. That will only push prices up.

Unless the alleged panic-buying is staggered, there should be a time when most people have filled their tanks to the brim anyway. That will mean they will be forced to cut prices in a desperate attempt to create demand.

1 hour ago, flotsam said:

Unless the alleged panic-buying is staggered, there should be a time when most people have filled their tanks to the brim anyway. That will mean they will be forced to cut prices in a desperate attempt to create demand.

Don't count on that.

It takes a lot for these companies to get desperate. And remember: Government get a bit more each time the price rises.

I was in Devon at the weekend ( somewhere ) and on Friday the E5 was at 149.9 and I thought that wasn't too bad ...........  mind you, a petrol tanker was just unloading so maybe the following day the price might have shot up a few pennies

Come now guys, we are all running good quality cars and know we have to take the knocks from time to time and we should just be grateful :whistling:  that the Chancellor is able to refill his coffers, for our overall benefit anyway, from the @80% tax take from these fuel sales

so of every £1 I spend on fuel I really really get 80 pence returned to me ............. yes :yes: :thumbsup: 

Malc

• Like 1

Petrol fill up on the 26th for me - 55.1 Litres @ 1.579Litre - so almost £90 for E5 Shell

One of my most expensive fills for a number of years and that was not even a full tank. When will it end...

The government roll out of E10 was really a ploy to eradicate petrol for good I think...

I am looking at some novel fuel now, Prince Charles said he uses cheese and crap on his Aston Martin, I have some nice mature cheddar here and some red wine - what could go wrong

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

Petrol fill up on the 26th for me - 55.1 Litres @ 1.579Litre - so almost £90 for E5 Shell

One of my most expensive fills for a number of years and that was not even a full tank. When will it end...

The government roll out of E10 was really a ploy to eradicate petrol for good I think...

I am looking at some novel fuel now, Prince Charles said he uses cheese and crap on his Aston Martin, I have some nice mature cheddar here and some red wine - what could go wrong

Sure, it is a lot Eric, but it started me thinking.

You paid £1.60 for one litre of fuel.

Last week I paid 10 euros ( £9 ) for 10 litres of Gin

The previous week my wife paid less than half of the cost of your fill up, to Ryanair to fly 1000 miles back to U.K.

There are indeed many perspectives on the cost of fuel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

The previous week my wife paid less than half of the cost of your fill up, to Ryanair to fly 1000 miles back to U.K.

are you suggesting we should convert our cars to run on aviation fuel or Gin ?     I understand Prince Charles converted his Aston Martin to run on cheese and wine... I kind of like where this is going!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, jumbojake said:

are you suggesting we should convert our cars to run on aviation fuel or Gin ?     I understand Prince Charles converted his Aston Martin to run on cheese and wine... I kind of like where this is going!

hiccup, hiccup !

11 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Correction......I paid 10 euros for 1 litre of Gin !

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

One of my most expensive fills for a number of years

at least now, when I filled / topped-up, at a cost of £92.85 the other day in Devon, I could just tap my card rather than the cafuffle of putting the card actually in the machine and keying the number ......  oh the ease of spending these days ............  I must admit the cashier was aghast that anyone could spend sooooo much on fuel at her kiosk :yahoo:

lots more  " big spenders "  to come though eh !

and if I had filled from zero, empty, it would have been about £127 .....  gulp !!

Malc 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jumbojake said:

gin powered aviation fuel -- why have I not thought of this

4 minutes ago, Malc said:

at least now, when I filled / topped-up, at a cost of £92.85 the other day in Devon, I could just tap my card rather than the cafuffle of putting the card actually in the machine and keying the number ......  oh the ease of spending these days ............  I must admit the cashier was aghast that anyone could spend sooooo much on fuel at her kiosk :yahoo:

lots more  " big spenders "  to come though eh !

and if I had filled from zero, empty, it would have been about £127 .....  gulp !!

Malc 

big fuel tanks = big costs, I did put in over £100 a few times into my Subaru also - years ago when aviation fuel was high at one stage too

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Correction......I paid 10 euros for 1 litre of Gin !

was worried about what type of Gin you could get for 10 litres at 9 pound.. not sure I would fancy it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links