Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel panic!

Mincey

4 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

I'm not going to carry on re the focus EV. All I know is what I saw on numerous occasions with different number of occupants. 

Just like a dealer demonstrator would be with different occupants 😉 as you say, let’s leave it there 😄

On 7/22/2022 at 7:08 PM, dutchie01 said:

For all young readers out there this granddad had a DAF 44 a forty something years ago. The image of these cars was not too good, senior citizens and so on. Guess what it had a CVT gearbox connected to a 2 cylinder engine. I only drove it full throttle with the engine screaming at max revs until inevitably it blew up. It was a weird sensation then as it is now. The revs climb until a certain rpm stay there with the noise staying thesame but the car accelerates.

forty years on the debate is still on and the majority of drivers do not like it just like the good old days. I really wonder if Toyota/Lexus did not stick to the CVT/ECVT what would have happened. IS300H with a normal 8 speed auto? NX?  would the cars be more popular? I personally do think so....

This granddad also remembers the horrid Daf44, even then they were considered "a joke". They were also ugly little buggers.

I tried a CVT Lexus ( ES 300h I think? ) even though I had dismissed ever buying one and I was pleasantly surprised - until I wanted to go a bit faster - then the awful character of the CVT showed its ugly head.

If Lexus carry on down this route to unpleasant driving then it will regrettably be the end of Lexus ownership for me.

Needless to say my Lexus cars are 8 speed autos. The one in the IsF is far better than the 200t as it knows what gear it should be in under different circumstances. I think I will probably keep both of them for a long long time.

image.jpeg.f0d87512256d8af45e11988ca153b530.jpeg The ZF Eight-Speed Automatic Transmission

• Like 3

On 7/25/2022 at 1:23 PM, Bluemarlin said:

The Ford Focus story was from the US. Such incidents aside, I woud imagine the used EV market will be very busy. A lot will depend on both third party repairers, and the manufacturers, but currently people seem to have little fears over buying 10yr+ Toyota/Lexus hybrids, despite the potential for expensive battery or inverter failures.

As for electric trucks, Amazon are running 37 ton DAF electric HGV's in the UK.

https://www.aboutamazon.co.uk/news/sustainability/amazon-unveils-first-ever-fully-electric-heavy-goods-vehicles-in-its-uk-fleet

LOL! It's range is a crappy 137 miles and that's subject to "conditions". It takes 75mins to charge at 250kW and is only 37 tonnes.

https://www.daf.co.uk/en-gb/trucks/alternative-fuels-and-drivelines/battery-electric-vehicles/daf-cf-electric

At least they won't need to have a tachograph in the cab as the drivers can't drive for more than an hour at a time.

Blimey 2 very interesting links there guys. The DAF trucks seem really good But I've not seen actual carrying weight capacity. Only gross vehicle weight and cab + chassis weight. No mention of weight of the batteries. 

Wow overhead cables just like trams eh? I really can't see that taking off. They'll have to have those overhead cables on every road and street and dirt track (leading to farms etc). Plus just what kind of power supply would be needed to power tens of thousands of trucks all needing power at the same time. Oh and overhead cables in delivery point yards and to loading bays. Nice idea in theory but in practice? I don't cocoa cocoa. 

I can see the overhead lines being feasible on motorways, but not everywhere else.

Even then, significant changes would have to be made. Most bridges only have a few inches of clearance for a double-deck trailer to pass under, as is.

I'm not sure of the practicality of overhead lines being added to existing infracture, although I guess it could work on motorways if the trucks could run independently/on batteries for the first and last legs of non motorway usage.

Then there's the bridge issue mentioned by John, so perhaps they should have approached it the other way round, and got Scalextric to build the roads 😀

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, J Henderson said:

I can see the overhead lines being feasible on motorways, but not everywhere else.

Even then, significant changes would have to be made. Most bridges only have a few inches of clearance for a double-deck trailer to pass under, as is.

What next a horse trough?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Blimey 2 very interesting links there guys. The DAF trucks seem really good But I've not seen actual carrying weight capacity. Only gross vehicle weight and cab + chassis weight. No mention of weight of the batteries. 

Wow overhead cables just like trams eh? I really can't see that taking off. They'll have to have those overhead cables on every road and street and dirt track (leading to farms etc). Plus just what kind of power supply would be needed to power tens of thousands of trucks all needing power at the same time. Oh and overhead cables in delivery point yards and to loading bays. Nice idea in theory but in practice? I don't cocoa cocoa. 

The idea is to use the OHLE purely on Motorway/Autobahn and the truck has Battery back up for the short journeys to delivery locations.

I believe the answer to heavy trucks will be Hydrogen…..eventually, just as we have buses now locally purely on CNG.

• Like 1

All we are told is lies,lies and more lies - but no body is allow ask questions and certainly not on the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62330190#comments

Put a comment on, I said nobody is asking any questions about fake climate change, fake COVID, monkey pox and other diseases fake fires carbon neutral and everything is nonsense. England gets less than 20 percent of gas from Russia. The war another excuse to pave the way for 2030. Shell and others are getting record billion dollar quarterly profits. Guess what, it was removed.

Even a post saying lies lies lies was removed.

The BBC are part of the problem - For a moment you would think they are hiding something

18 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

A Tesla Battery is over half a tonne, and thats just a car - try pulling a caravan with a EV and the range will plumment, but nobody is asking how long will my Battery last if I haul stuffs, all we are told is they have a range of 200/300 odd miles but they dont say under what conditions - the condition is most likely with no AC on and plodding about at 40/50mph and towing absolutely nothing for sure

give me a truck like this any day - actually got a scale model of this Mack as its so cool

13423819134_c4709b363b_z.jpg

Series-11-Mack-Bicentennial-Superliner.j

Series-11-Mack-Bicentennial-Superliner-3

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Really?  Petrol is still 188.9 here.

£178.9 for E10 at Sainsbury's near Reading today - hopefully will continue falling as although a small relief a long way to go yet... 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

A Tesla battery is over half a tonne, and thats just a car - try pulling a caravan with a EV and the range will plumment, but nobody is asking how long will my battery last if I haul stuffs, all we are told is they have a range of 200/300 odd miles but they dont say under what conditions - the condition is most likely with no AC on and plodding about at 40/50mph and towing absolutely nothing for sure

To be fair, pull a caravan, run the a/c, and drive at non optimal speeds, and you significantly reduce the range of any car.

That said, I take your point with regards to now, but you appear to be assuming that technology won't improve beyond what it is today. The reality is that the technolology will improve significantly over the next 20-30 years, and will deliver faster, cleaner and more efficient cars. It's not going to unhappen,  and so it makes sense to at least prepare for it, even you're not willing/able to embrace it.

• Like 2

Just now, wharfhouse said:

£178.9 for E10 at Sainsbury's near Reading today - hopefully will continue falling as although a small relief a long way to go yet... 

Perhaps there is hope yet if prices continue to fall rapidly.

What are the chances of going back to £1.30 though?  Slim I would say, at least in the short term.  Strange to think that we are hoping for 'only' £1.30 per litre 😞

2 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Perhaps there is hope yet if prices continue to fall rapidly.

What are the chances of going back to £1.30 though?  Slim I would say, at least in the short term.  Strange to think that we are hoping for 'only' £1.30 per litre 😞

Yes agreed - now that such a high bar has been set and people still kept / had to keep buying fuel and the fuel companies now know this I don't think we will see fuel much below £1.50 a litre again...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

All we are told is lies,lies and more lies - but no body is allow ask questions and certainly not on the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62330190#comments

Put a comment on, I said nobody is asking any questions about fake climate change, fake COVID, monkey pox and other diseases fake fires carbon neutral and everything is nonsense. England gets less than 20 percent of gas from Russia. The war another excuse to pave the way for 2030. Shell and others are getting record billion dollar quarterly profits. Guess what, it was removed.

Even a post saying lies lies lies was removed.

The BBC are part of the problem - For a moment you would think they are hiding something

It might be because they struggled to understand the question amidst a stream of "lies, lies, lies & fake, fake, fake", in the question.

It might also be that they've already answered the question, acknowledging that we get less than 4% of our gas from Russia, but that it's not simply a matter of supply, but one of international gas prices, and our limited amount of storage space. If they're hiding the answer, they're not doing it very well:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58637094

In fact, given our reliance on fossil fuels, with price and availability being dependent upon external factors, one might reasonably conclude that a responsible and forward thinking government might seek to find ways to reduce our dependence, regardless of any environmental  concerns.

Whether they're doing it the right way, I don't know, and only time will tell.  But to me it seems a positive that they're trying to do something.

• Like 2

my local Shell on Ditton Hill Maidstone is now 182.9p  ........  almost the " cheapest "     hahahahahahaha ...  around

Malc

Lies lies lies, these folks struggling to put food on the table it seems 

Shell and British Gas owner announce billions in profits as UK faces cost of living misery

Centrica, the parent company of British Gas, recorded an increase in operating profits to £1.34billion, while Shell saw its profits hit a new all-time high of £9.5billion

Shell saw its profits hit a new all-time high of £9.5billion in the second quarter.

That smashes the oil giant's previous record quarterly profit of £7.5billion racked up in January to March this year

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

***** Almighty. SHELL just announced their nett profit over the last three months. It is a record             18 BILLION DOLLAR

Yes, so stop listening to experts?

2 hours ago, Bluemarlin said:

It might be because they struggled to understand the question amidst a stream of "lies, lies, lies & fake, fake, fake", in the question.

It might also be that they've already answered the question, acknowledging that we get less than 4% of our gas from Russia, but that it's not simply a matter of supply, but one of international gas prices, and our limited amount of storage space. If they're hiding the answer, they're not doing it very well:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58637094

In fact, given our reliance on fossil fuels, with price and availability being dependent upon external factors, one might reasonably conclude that a responsible and forward thinking government might seek to find ways to reduce our dependence, regardless of any environmental  concerns.

Whether they're doing it the right way, I don't know, and only time will tell.  But to me it seems a positive that they're trying to do something.

Funny that they block any questions at all however, it's like your not allowed ask questions eh? Why are they not telling us of the covid payments to families? 

The obvious question is why are bills so high if oil companies have so much money they can fill the Niagara falls twice over? The BBC are as corrupt as anyone and that's the reason they block comments, if you asked the Tory director to answer covid questions in court under oath do you think he would attend? No chance 

I've mentioned the BP station a Mike and a bit down the road from my local Tesco that's cheaper by a penny a litre now btw. We'll on the way home from work today I thought I'd pop in to fuel up with 'the gudstuff'. OMG 199.9p a litre. Oh well £100.01 to fill up today. Jeeeez I've never spent anywhere near that in my 40+ years of car ownership. 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links