Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Long life engine oil

Mr Vlad

My truck is about 18 months old now and on 82k miles. Today one of the mechanics came to take one of the trucks for a service. I asked about how often oil changes should take place. He replied at about 100k miles. I said WHAT? 100k miles? Are you joking? He wasn't. He said it's a new oil (well its been out about 4 years) that lasts and lasts.

Can you imagine changing your car engine oil every 100k miles? I certainly can't. Not even in a diesel car.

I think you’re right to be sceptical!

Irrespective of what any oil brand claims in terms of longevity, not carrying out oil changes at the recommended intervals will almost certainly invalidate any engine warranty.

I also wonder if this mechanic would still change the filters at the specified intervals, if not the oil?

Incidentally oil consists of long chain hydrocarbon molecules and much of its degradation is due to the mechanical chopping action of the metal components breaking up these molecules, as well as combustion resulting in the introduction of water into the sump causing sludge formation.  

Can’t imagine what might be still circulating after 100K miles!

So, like you Vlad, It’s advice I’d be inclined to ignore!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

There would undoubtedly be a number of Top Ups Len during the accumulation of those 100,000 miles.

Yes, John.  As I think you suggest, it raises the question of how much of the original oil actually remains after 100K miles?

Which rather reminds me of the workman's old broom....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LenT said:

Yes, John.  As I think you suggest, it raises the question of how much of the original oil actually remains after 100K miles?

Which rather reminds me of the workman's old broom....

Exactly Len.

The Broom discussion is most apposite.👍

• Like 2

Yes I wonder too. I know my truck hasn't had an oil service yet but I also know 3 times so far I've topped up with about 3 litres each time. Weird how my truck doesn't produce smoke and pulls rather well.

Probably. Tho I must admit that fir a good number if weeks the service light was on the dash which I duly reported daily. However on a very rare early finish day I thought I'd use the oil dip stick. Oh I thought after seeing the very low mark on the stick. So about 3 or so litres later mark where it should be and low and behold the service light gone out.

When I chatted with that mechanic he said oil changes happen when that light comes on the dash. Looks like it's the driver who er does the oil service lol.

15 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Probably. Tho I must admit that fir a good number if weeks the service light was on the dash which I duly reported daily. However on a very rare early finish day I thought I'd use the oil dip stick. Oh I thought after seeing the very low mark on the stick. So about 3 or so litres later mark where it should be and low and behold the service light gone out.

When I chatted with that mechanic he said oil changes happen when that light comes on the dash. Looks like it's the driver who er does the oil service lol.

What is your "truck" out of interest ? An HGV? Van? Pick-up?

It's an Iveco 7.2 ton which is van based but can carry just over 3.75 tons which is more than a standard 7.5 ton can carry. Great little trucks which gets to parts class 2 and 1 have no chance to.