Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New NX ready to pre-order

Just received comms from Lexus and it seems like it is finally something reasonable. Now obviously I will start bi**** about things, but it is still beyond me why Lexus couldn't do this like 5 years ago. Yes sure it is still 2.5L 4cylinder hybrid, but finally it has some decent performance. NX350h not amazing but acceptable (7.7s) and it somehow manages with very similar power output on paper. NX450h+ is actually decent - sure it isn't 4.5L comparable or supercar fast, but even I can't complain about 6.3s to 60 in SUV. Obviously, not a race car, but nobody could argue that such acceleration is not enough to safely join the road or to overtake. 

https://lexus.turtl.co/story/13504003_all-new-nx-price-list/page/1?value01=C8290E01

One thing I found bizarre and borderline unacceptable (and Lexus for some reason keeps doing it - IS220d no auto option, RC Fsport no dynamic cruise option), but you can't have NX450h+ with Mark and Levinson. It comes standard in 350h takumi, could be optional in F-Sport, but in 450h+ you just can't have it?! Just doesn't make sense - so you have flagship mid-size SUV which can be equipped with decent audio system... and the cheaper model gets it as standard!!! 

Now to be fair at least standard 10-speaker system is not terrible, not like 6 speaker horror show in IS/RCs. I can only assume this is linked somehow maybe with charging equipment, maybe they have charger in place where ML amp should, but in that case it is just lazy... surely they can find some other way to fit ML?

As well it included wireless craple car play, but for some reason android auto is just wire (despite being first system to offer wireless, thus been longer on the market and cheaper to integrate)... That I guess makes sense considering Lexus major market is US where everyone only uses iphones.

Finally, if only we had such engine options in RC... world would be better place!

• Like 5

It is a curious blend of specifications but what's new? 🙂

Is it just me or are cars becoming less configurable (unless they are German of course)?  For example, what happened to have a choice of what wheel you wanted on the car?  Surely it can't be that difficult to offer.

It also still surprises me that cars in this price category don't come with metallic paint as standard.  Premium paint colours I can understand, but a bit more choice on the free colours would be nice.

Lastly, as an Android users, I agree that it is in annoying that only CarPlay is wireless when both are quite capable of being.

It is a still good looking car, I think.

Would I buy it now? No, out of my price range, will I buy it in 3-4 years time? Doubt that as in 3 years time all the systems NX offers now will be old by then, I mean conventional hybrid and even a PLUG-IN hybrid version unless Lexus will offer a full electrical version which will be expensive. 

Agree that some of the specifications are slightly bizarre. I have taken a pre-order option on a 450h+ but disappointed that I cannot specify the panoramic roof (but could in a 350h)! Also the standard 20 inch wheels with run flat tyres wouldn't be my choice. Will make a final decision after a test drive becomes available. 

As I am a newbie on here and also someone who is new to Lexus, I can see why people may be frustrated by the limited options available as part of the pre-ordering process. However, could one of the advantages of limiting options be the resale value? My last five cars have all been BMWs where the configuration options were quite extensive. The problem with this approach is that trade-in values do not necessarily take account of those options. Specifying a BMW X3 30e M Sport (the petrol plug-in hybrid X3), the ‘basic’ M Sport model is £52,400. However, adding various options takes the price up to £60,365. I’m not an expert in the used car market, but I assume that when you come to trade this in, the ‘book price’ will be based on the ‘basic’ model as there is no ‘Luxury’ or ‘Takuma’ model equivalent. The Lexus NX Takuma model includes various options as standard and the ‘book price’ will presumably list it as a ‘Lexus NX Takuma’ rather than a ‘Lexus NX’.

Lexus cars in UK were not very configurable for many years now (probably from the beginning). As I got into Lexus ownership just around 2010 I only know that ~IS mk2 was already locked down on options in UK compared to US. In US up until this day, you can have different wheels and different packages in most cars, it seems that because in UK base price is higher Lexus simply includes more base equipment, but then takes away all the choice.

For example RC (not only had 350 option and AWD), but as well adaptive suspension was option on most of the cars (called dynamic handling package), likewise all the cars had option to have sunroof (in UK Premier came with sunroof standard, F-Sport had option and you could not spec. it on Luxury), same with DCC - in UK only Premier could have DCC, whereas in US it was optional on all models... and so on.

@Ken R - yes, forgotten to note panoramic sunroof as exclusively not available on NX450h+... again bizarre. Seems like NX450h+ is the coolest and most expensive version of the SUV you could get, so it seems it would make sense to allow most options on, because presumably people buying it would be the people who would be willing to pay price of those options. But Lexus clearly has different ideas here. Probably they figured out that pan-roof and ML would not be deal breaker for most of buyers, so they can get away by not offering it. 

@Lexi450 - not sure it adds value on used car, but it definitely makes it easier to find the car in right spec. This is main reason why I could never buy used BMW, it always has one option, but not the other... and if options are right, then the colour is wrong etc. This is not an issue with used Lexus - find right colour and then just check if 3 options are there, the list of options is so small that it is generally possible to find car with all of them and in the right colour. Sometimes the price may be an issue, but I reckon that is more to do with Lexus generally being rare car in UK and limited choice on used market. Does easier to find = higher sale price? Maybe... 

It seems it will be late 2022 for test drives for buyers, I have no definitive answer, but that is what Lexus comms suggests. I guess car reviewers will get their hands bit earlier, so maybe some reviews will be available earlier in a year 2022.

Its odd that the ML isnt available on the 450h+. Its not a packaging issue as its available in the USA and Canada on this model. 

The pricing is clearly a step up from the previous model. The F-Sport 450h+ Takumi is nigh on £60k. The 350h F-Sport Takumi is £55k 

That £5k difference probably isnt worth it unless you're running it through a company. 

Cant wait for the new RX due next year now

On 10/5/2021 at 11:58 AM, Linas.P said:

Probably they figured out that pan-roof and ML would not be deal breaker for most of buyers, so they can get away by not offering it. 

Well, it's a deal breaker for me, so no order (and I was ready to go) 😞 I'll hang on and see if they amend the specification sometime in the future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

Well, it's a deal breaker for me, so no order (and I was ready to go) 😞 I'll hang on and see if they amend the specification sometime in the future.

Give it a year or two 

Lexus always seems to add features later on in the life cycle of the car

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve Oliver said:

It potentially remains a deal breaker for me also but have gone ahead meantime with my deposit and an order for a 450h+ in Graphite with Hazel interior, sunroof, protection pack etc. My other disappointment is the 20" wheels with run-flat tyres - not something I would choose if it was an option. Will make the final decision after a test drive and my current NX is valued. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 2:28 PM, Pm4 said:

Does anyone know when the new 450h+ will be available for test drive?

My local Centre rang me last week to advise they won’t be getting any demos until January.

• Sad 1

On 10/10/2021 at 8:32 PM, Habu said:

My local Centre rang me last week to advise they won’t be getting any demos until January.

I had the same.  I assume it's to do with the global chip shortage which is affecting all car makers.

14 minutes ago, Dylanlewis2000 said:

This is such a strange thing for them to forgo. You'd think a premium car would have a premium sound system. 

It does have a premium sound system. Just not the Mark Levinson. Lexus premium sound systems are usually quite good and there's rarely need to get the ML anyway 

My dealership today booked my preview appointment for the new NX for Nov 20th. Will be very interesting to compare with the current model I'v had for the last week.

I hope the grade delivered will be the Takumi but I expect it'll be a mid spec grade (probably the most popular, F-Sport) and will it be the 300h or 450h+ I guess it doesn't matter as no test drives allowed.. 😒

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tel said:

It is a deal breaker as the Specs are imperfect & the 2022 model is too similar to the MK 1 model & costs 10% more.

Tel

I think it's slightly better looking than the current one (and I love the current one) but the spec problem is the thing. I'll wait.

• Like 1

Morning all. I’m new the forum and looking at the new NX. Have to say it looks rather sexy. Currently got a Q5 and I was originally looking at moving to the new X3 but production on the BM is severely hampered.

I am new to Lexus and had a few questions which I hope some of you more experienced folk can help me with.

I know Lexus has an issue with cat converter theft. Has this been an issue with the NX and does anyone know if the new one is built so it isn’t easy to access?

I am also not a fan of keyless entry but the way Lexus do their options you have to have it if you want a half decent spec from luxury plus upwards. Does anyone know if this can be disabled through the car info system?

Finally the drive. Still a wait for test drive cars to come but now does Lexus compare to bmw and Audi? Again I know this is subjective. Also what about build quality?

Thanks all!

35 minutes ago, KTLX said:

Morning all. I’m new the forum and looking at the new NX. Have to say it look rather sexy. Currently got a Q5 and I was originally looking at moving to the new X3 but production on the BM is severely hampered.

I am new to Lexus and had a few questions which I hope some of you more experienced folk can help me with.

I know Lexus has an issue with cat converter theft. Has this been an issue with the NX and does anyone know if the new one is built so it isn’t easy to access?

I am also not a fan of keyless entry but the way Lexus do their options you have to have it if you want a half decent spec from luxury plus upwards. Does anyone know if this can be disabled through the car info system?

Finally the drive. Still a wait for test drive cars to come but now does Lexus compare to bmw and Audi? Again I know this is subjective. Also what about build quality?

Thanks all!

Cat Converter theft for the existing NX - it has happened to one of the members, but is no where on the scale of the Prius and CTs. There isn't a catloc. For the current model RAV4 (which uses the same platform), not heard much about cat theft for those. In addition, the newer technology hybrids are supposed to contain much less precious metals and would therefore be less valuable to thieves.

Build quality - it's a Lexus. Toyotas themselves are bulletproof, so when you take that and improve further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tel said:

It is a deal breaker as the Specs are imperfect & the 2022 model is too similar to the MK 1 model & costs 10% more.

Tel

Similar in looks maybe but that's it. It's on a new platform compared to the last one. Previous car also used NiMH batteries so an older hybrid system 

Im sure the spec will change in time like every Lexus 

5 hours ago, subria88 said:

Cat Converter theft for the existing NX - it has happened to one of the members, but is no where on the scale of the Prius and CTs. There isn't a catloc. For the current model RAV4 (which uses the same platform), not heard much about cat theft for those. In addition, the newer technology hybrids are supposed to contain much less precious metals and would therefore be less valuable to thieves.

Build quality - it's a Lexus. Toyotas themselves are bulletproof, so when you take that and improve further.

Thanks. I’ve seen in the US some of the new RAV4 owners have had cat thefts. So will be interesting if the positing of them is the same on the NX.

Looks like it will be a wait for test drives. Kind of shopping blind at the moment.