Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlight (passenger side)

Boersma

Hello I'm looking for a headlight (right) for my SC430 - 2007 because the plastic armature has broken or is there a repairing kit? In the Netherlands the price is € 1100,- for a new headlight. 

IMG_8980 2.jpeg

is this deja vu  ?

I'm sure quite recently, well over the past few months, someone had a similar problem with ridiculous likely costs and I never did see the final outcome:unsure:

I think then I suggested maybe find out about 3D printing one !

Malc

• Like 1

Problem is finding a good used one especially LHD.

It looks like someone has attempted a repair previously but if all the bits are still there maybe find a company that does “plastic welding.” They prepare the joint and reinforce with wire then add filler plastic before reshaping.

• Like 2

Indeed you're right about plastic welding but interesting who has repaired this ; it's an official Lexus dealer in The Netherlands who has repaired this anyway I've wrote an e-mail and after my holiday they will fix it . How I don't know?

They also told that they never change the gearbox oil (SC430)only refill because of damage? I've read an article about this and the argument is that if you've never changed it regularly they are afraid to change due to the fact of wear . Is anyone familiar with this?

51 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Problem is finding a good used one especially LHD.

It looks like someone has attempted a repair previously but if all the bits are still there maybe find a company that does “plastic welding.” They prepare the joint and reinforce with wire then add filler plastic before reshaping.

I believe there are more LHD cars in the world than RHD.

Plastic welding with either as you mention wire for strength or glass fibre mat or better wire and glass fibre mat plus resin to make it look nice would be possible.

4 minutes ago, Boersma said:

Indeed you're right about plastic welding but interesting who has repaired this ; it's an official Lexus dealer in The Netherlands who has repaired this anyway I've wrote an e-mail and after my holiday they will fix it . How I don't know?

They also told that they never change the gearbox oil (SC430)only refill because of damage? I've read an article about this and the argument is that if you've never changed it regularly they are afraid to change due to the fact of wear . Is anyone familiar with this?

Nothing last forever. Problem could be finding the right oil so it does not harm the components inside the gearbox.

There is a recent video on Youtube about plastic welding and your problem was the demonstration example.

All you need is a soldering iron with a flat heated bit and a fine steel mesh. You cut a piece of steel mesh of the same shape to cover the area around the damage, put it on top of the plastic area to be repaired and place the soldering iron over the mesh. This sinks into the plastic and by spreading more plastic over the area the joint is reiforced. Repeat the process for the other side.

If you need to fill a gap, cut a small piece of plastic from somewhere it does not matter.

Chris.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links