Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mouse nest under engine

Just had the 60k service done on my 2015 IS 300H, and they found a mouse nest under the engine! There's some sort of "engine mount panel" that they removed (not sure if this is the correct term), but you could clearly see holes where it had been eaten away. It was fine to be reinstalled and a new panel was not needed, but they cleared out all the nest materials.

I'm a bit bewildered how it happened - during the daytime my car is parked in a large outdoor office car park, and overnight it's inside my locked garage, where I've never seen evidence of mice. The car has been use every single day for the past year, which makes me think the damage/nest was created over a year ago.

Going forward, any tips to stop this from happening again?

15 minutes ago, hdp00 said:

Just had the 60k service done on my 2015 IS 300H, and they found a mouse nest under the engine! There's some sort of "engine mount panel" that they removed (not sure if this is the correct term), but you could clearly see holes where it had been eaten away. It was fine to be reinstalled and a new panel was not needed, but they cleared out all the nest materials.

I'm a bit bewildered how it happened - during the daytime my car is parked in a large outdoor office car park, and overnight it's inside my locked garage, where I've never seen evidence of mice. The car has been use every single day for the past year, which makes me think the damage/nest was created over a year ago.

Going forward, any tips to stop this from happening again?

Attach a piece of one of the stronger smelling cheeses (Stinking Bishop or Camembert) to a small chain from the rear of the car - then any furry friends will make their nest away from your engine bay.

It would work for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi tongue in cheek  Buy a cat!!  I also run an MX5 which is not used in the winter but kept in the garage and it is a common problem with me and fellow Mazda club  club members.You are lucky no damage was done as they like the insulation from electrical wires (oil in the PVC apparently) and expensive damage can be inflicted .I use mouse traps, with success with as many as 4 in one week with no sign of their presence.Cheese is an old wives tale my tests prove small pieces of Kit Kat or peanut butter .They seem to be harvest mice brown with long tails .

good luck Dave

• Like 1

The cat suggestion is not wholly devoid of merit.  My car is parked in an extensive garden frequented by numerous cats, both stray and domesticated, some pretty and others ugly, and one or more of them regularly sleep underneath it.  Were this not the case, and given the environment, I suspect I would have a quite nasty vermin problem.  My only grievance is that winter leads some of the cats to prefer a warm hood to the cold ground, as evidenced by paw-prints on my otherwise immaculate bodywork.  But, unless they are muddy and wet, I prefer these to God only knows what I might find in and around the car without the cats.

Anyway, I wouldn’t worry if you think the mouse nest is a year old since the mouse/mice will either have died or migrated.  Otherwise you should try sprinkling rat/mouse poison inside your garage at home even in the absence of suspicious traces.

• Like 1

It,s quite a big problem in this your not alone. If not removed will cause serious damage to hoses cables etc. Vehicles made abroad and stored for a long time before shipping can unknowingly have them. In the UK any time from now until winter December roughly they will look to move indoors if they can. A car parked in a garage nice warm engine etc. What you need to do is put whatever traps you prefer on the floor, those mat things are quite good. You could bait a trap with what you think is best . Be vigilant especially if putting car in a garage in a rural area, lift the bonnet regulary to check. They will nibble bite into cable, hoses sometimes unseen. Repairs can run into a lot of money. Good luck.

7 hours ago, ALAW said:

It's quite a big problem in this your not alone...

Indeed.

Trapped a mouse in the loft a couple of nights ago.

[ Not that we keep a car in the loft. ]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rabbers said:

The cat suggestion is not wholly devoid of merit.  My car is parked in an extensive garden frequented by numerous cats, both stray and domesticated, some pretty and others ugly, and one or more of them regularly sleep underneath it. 

I appreciate that for some this is not a joking matter.  

But I am concerned that some posters are being tempted to make wild and intemperate accusations that detract from the potential seriousness of this problem.  

So let me just point out that, in my extensive experience of the subject, there is no such thing as an ‘ugly’ cat.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LenT said:

there is no such thing as an ‘ugly’ cat.

and I would urge all those thinking of getting a cat to do so with some skill and aplomb and find one thru' a great charitable organisation such as the Cats Protection Society ....  you will have a local branch ....  who can probably readily supply you for re-homing,  with a fully vaccinated and health checked model that will then be able to keep all your cat averse vermin at bay and add to your beautiful cat, sorry, car looks at home ............... and save you a fortune in nibbled cables etc

.......... a plea ........ please don't get a cat from adverts or whatever, any cat you do get will really need to be fully vetted, being health checked, vaccinated etc 

Thank you

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dublet said:

xherdan-cat-2.jpg&q=85

And what is your point, exactly?

This Sphinx, for that is what it appears to be, is a natural genetic variation which I understand is very popular with owners.  It is renowned for its intelligence, curiosity, affectionate nature and the close relationship it forms with its human careers.

It clearly appeals to those who appreciate that beauty is more than hairless skin deep.  😊

• Haha 1

What a co-incidence.  Had exactly the same problem also at 60k service and fortunately no serious wires were chewed.  My wife's Jazz had the same problem in the boot. We put it down to a stay at a farm in "deep" country during winter 20/21 and has made me more alert with winter again returning.  Forumed it at the time and some of the responses re what can go wrong were hairy!  😬 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shada said:

If you are buying a cat be sure to check the serial number, there's been a lot of these stolen lately 🤣 sorry couldn't resist 

all " cats " should be chipped ........... see the vet rather than your Lexus dealer tho :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links