Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice needed. Had a knock to my rear on RX450H, would this fail MOT

Hi All, 

This morning someone has hit my car from the rear, this is someone that has used my drive to uturn thier car but has knocked mine and dissapeared. 
Anyway i have my MOT booked with Lexus on the 25th Oct and wanted any advice if this would cause me to fail on the MOT. 
As i would need to call the insurer and sort prior to MOT. Bit of a nightmare as im now back in the office rather than working from home so time is limited and just wanted any advice and crack on with it. 

thanks everyone. 

Lexus.jpglex1.thumb.jpg.532287250f6e5cf3ea9110b8357e79ee.jpg

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, scudney said:

The damage to the bumper in itself shouldn't result in a fail although the tester could give an advisory on the bottom light not being in position.

thanks, just going through a nightmare personal situation and then this. its just so i can get MOT done and then plane the insurance work.

just added a better photo if that helps. the light has been knocked in. im not able to push it back in place, will try again a little later. i know it has to be done sooner or later via the insurance but until mid november Im just under it. 

just attempted to push it back, cant do it. even got underneath but just difficult. main concearn is MOT failure as i need car on weekends so only have can drop and pick up when i can arrange to work from home which also has to be confirm a week in advance. so dropping back to the designated garage via insurance is a week or so and then even MOT drop morning and hope to pick up same day fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, digitaldecks said:

just attempted to push it back, cant do it. even got underneath but just difficult. main concearn is MOT failure as i need car on weekends so only have can drop and pick up when i can arrange to work from home which also has to be confirm a week in advance. so dropping back to the designated garage via insurance is a week or so and then even MOT drop morning and hope to pick up same day fingers crossed.

Did you trace the Twerp who did it Kalpesh ?

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Did you trace the Twerp who did it Kalpesh ?

Unfortunatly no. every morning my road gets busy due to so many doing school drop offs. i always see people u-turning rather than just go round. its a donut road leading on to a main road. same time it takes to go round as a uturn. i knew this would happen one day. i just hope Lexus dont fail MOT but as others have said hopefully it will be an advisory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, digitaldecks said:

Wow thats really helpful. I sit bang in the middle between minor and Major. 

If it was me, go in full disclosure with the garage you booked it in for. Tell them what happened and your predicament. It would probably take a garage a few minutes to whip the bumper off and assess the situation.

just popped over to a local garage, he had a look, said they will heat it push the bumper out and secure the fog lamp even if it requires a few ties to hold it in place. £90 cash. he did say the bumper will need replacing at some point so maybe look into getting second hand etc. 

can t do insurance as will loose all my no claims. previous had two claims in the last two years. were small issues but messes this situation up. 

• Like 1

what  a bummer Kalpesh you would think they would have the decency to leave their address the cheek of it using your prperty to turn round and smacking your car into the bargain grrr it makes me so mad.

But if you can get it pulled out all ok but new they are only 200  ish from Lexus parts direct for the  bumper cover obviosly have to be painted

Anyway mate i wish you luck getting it sorted and i am sure you will

Robert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KayCee said:

what  a bummer Kalpesh you would think they would have the decency to leave their address the cheek of it using your prperty to turn round and smacking your car into the bargain grrr it makes me so mad.

But if you can get it pulled out all ok but new they are only 200  ish from Lexus parts direct for the  bumper cover obviosly have to be painted

Anyway mate i wish you luck getting it sorted and i am sure you will

Robert

thanks Robert, i came accross Lexus Parts Direct last night. so have pinged them regards the mk3 bumper. ive had quotes around the grand mark for supplied, painted fitted etc.. but sure it can be done cheaper. just will have to find the garage that can paint and fit as i know they are making money on parts.
would i need anything else? anything in terms of fittings etc apart from the bumper itself?

I wouldnt have thought so Kalpesh you will just have to transfer your Lights Sensors etc as you will have the bolts and clips if a body shop does it they will have a body clip removal tool

I dont know costs down south but you should get the new bumper painted for no more than 200 and the fitting cover is 10 min job 5 bollts i believe and a few clips the claws are on the bumper itself

but i am sure someone will pipe up exactly how many bolts

in conclusion you want one of those lockable posts on your drive if they do that regulary its so maddening people using your drive to turn round in

Robert

4 minutes ago, KayCee said:

I wouldnt have thought so Kalpesh you will just have to transfer your Lights Sensors etc as you will have the bolts and clips if a body shop does it they will have a body clip removal tool

I dont know costs down south but you should get the new bumper painted for no more than 200 and the fitting cover is 10 min job 5 bollts i believe and a few clips the claws are on the bumper itself

but i am sure someone will pipe up exactly how many bolts

in conclusion you want one of those lockable posts on your drive if they do that regulary its so maddening people using your drive to turn round in

Robert

thank you for your input. all these small details really do help so i dont get shafted by the garages. still waiting to hear from LPD regards bumper. hopefuly i can order and have delivered in October sometime

Hi All, 

had the bumper heated and popped out on friday and the light is fixed so i suppose its a quick win ahead of MOT. 
Just had the quote back from Lexus parts direct regards a new bumper. Im a little shocked at the delivery cost

Bumper: £257.87,

dedicated courier service to your address would be £114

Hi Kalpesh and how are you doing,glad you are making progress on your unfortunate predicament, courier seems a bit steep,but then again its a big item. Is the bumper colour coded?,if not, might be worth trying to find a decent second one in your colour thereby eliminating the need to have it sprayed 🤔