Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mark Levinson Sound Issue

Hi All

Music playing though Aux (Aux to USB-C) crackles and cuts out. It seems to be happening more often now to the point where I've just given up playing music from Aux. The ML system is incredible and was a big selling point for me as I'm a music lover so it's a bit of a bummer 

From what I've seen online the issue appears to be one of 2 things, some say its the Amplifier others say its the head unit. 

Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue or has replaced/repaired their amplifier yet? did sound work  after that? is there anything else I can try before I commit to buying a new amp? 

thanks 

33 minutes ago, eleveneleven said:

Hi All

Music playing though Aux (Aux to USB-C) crackles and cuts out. It seems to be happening more often now to the point where I've just given up playing music from Aux. The ML system is incredible and was a big selling point for me as I'm a music lover so it's a bit of a bummer 

From what I've seen online the issue appears to be one of 2 things, some say its the Amplifier others say its the head unit. 

Just wondering if anyone has had the same issue or has replaced/repaired their amplifier yet? did sound work  after that? is there anything else I can try before I commit to buying a new amp? 

thanks 

I think it might be the amplifier, mine doesn't quite crackle when it's playing through the AUX cable, but I do have a bit of white noise in because I play music via Bluetooth. I've got a plug in the AUX & Cigarette lighter to transmit Bluetooth signal - but quality isn't the best that way. I prefer that than plugging my phone in everytime though.. small price to pay and you can't really hear it when the music is on. Only between the songs. 

As for general audio issues.. My subwoofer stopped working about 6 months ago. I've replaced it with a scrap yard unit and it worked until about 6 weeks ago.. blew up as well, but I'm thinking it might not be the sub because sometimes it briefly comes on. Surely if it would've been blown, it'd be just dead, whereas mine is intermittent. I have to say, I hate wiring & know nothing about audio systems, so I didn't have a crack at doing anything much with it. I got the amp out before (what a nightmare of a job) and checked it out for water damage, but seemed okay. I'm a bit lost with this tbh.

I have the pioneer amp , when mine was playing up it was due to the rubber flap on the amp side had gone. You can replace but the rear bumper 

has to come off. I bought another amp and fitted it and in two days packed up. I blow dried the pair of them and they both work perfectly.

But not in the normal place, mine is on the top of the boot near the plastic cover that covers the amp.

If i can find the part i will upload it.

Did you try to place a ground loop adapter between the Aux and your player or Bluetooth receiver (if using BT) ?

I bought one and it works beautifully (on the Pioneer unit in the SE) to cut down on the white noise and various crackles associated with using the AUX socket

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203221691403?epid=13042775780&hash=item2f50f4ec0b:g:om4AAOSwL7xgUF9a

That ground loop protector only works with some Bluetooth adapters. I bought one when I bought my current BT adapter and it was horrendous. My BT adapter has been in use a year now with no issues. I've posted in a few threads what I bought so it may be worth a search as I can't remember which thread's. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, madasahatter said:

I have the pioneer amp , when mine was playing up it was due to the rubber flap on the amp side had gone. You can replace but the rear bumper 

has to come off. I bought another amp and fitted it and in two days packed up. I blow dried the pair of them and they both work perfectly.

But not in the normal place, mine is on the top of the boot near the plastic cover that covers the amp.

If i can find the part i will upload it.

Thanks Keith 

Is there a way to check if it needs replacing without taking the bumper off? 

On 9/27/2021 at 6:04 PM, Thelongterm said:

Did you try to place a ground loop adapter between the Aux and your player or Bluetooth receiver (if using BT) ?

I bought one and it works beautifully (on the Pioneer unit in the SE) to cut down on the white noise and various crackles associated with using the AUX socket

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203221691403?epid=13042775780&hash=item2f50f4ec0b:g:om4AAOSwL7xgUF9a

It is cheap enough to try and see if it helps.

Often a defective capacitor can cause noise as described. The problem is finding the faulty one. Checking out the power and ground cables also often help eliminating noise problems.