Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tpms sensor battery dead

Johnlex

So my Lexus IS 250c 2009 the TPMS Battery is dead. I took it to kwik fit for them to install their own tpms sensor. They tried to register it and said they couldn’t as they didn’t have the right equipment. They also said I need a genuine oem lexus part. They said to buy one and they will install it. Will this be a plug and go or will they be able to register it ?? They said they usually take the information from the old one to the new one but as my one was dead they were unable to do this. 
Please can I have some help and insight on the matter ???

96C8C3AF-AA6C-432F-AA98-CB2DFDAF9530.jpeg

C803CF1E-B2B6-4F3D-878C-F740F91280A4.jpeg

AAF2439A-00E9-4E89-B98C-2AB1DFE19F40.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi John, 

if your Battery replacement doesn’t work you could try tpms warehouse. If you tell them the Id of your sensor they can clone it so it should be a straight swap. I recently changed one of mine and used Carista to recode it but I’m not sure your car is supported for tpms

It will still need recoding then John, my local Toyota dealer also said they couldn’t recode the sensors even if they fitted a new one to my wheel only Lexus could do it. Absolutely ridiculous that’s why I went down the Carista route. I bought my sensor from lexuspartsdirect and recoded it with Carista before it was fitted. Obviously it showed up with an error but once fitted and tyre inflated everything was fine. I’m sure some tyre centre must be able to register the sensors. 

1 hour ago, Bob99 said:

It will still need recoding then John, my local Toyota dealer also said they couldn’t recode the sensors even if they fitted a new one to my wheel only Lexus could do it. Absolutely ridiculous that’s why I went down the Carista route. I bought my sensor from lexuspartsdirect and recoded it with Carista before it was fitted. Obviously it showed up with an error but once fitted and tyre inflated everything was fine. I’m sure some tyre centre must be able to register the sensors. 

Ok so how do I do that as the toms sensor I’m going to purchase is from Lexus parts direct too .

is there a charge ?? 

Herbie is showing the tech stream system which requires a laptop and a connecting lead that you connect to your obd port which is usually below your steering wheel. I have looked again at Carista and I am sure that your car is not supported. Might be worth getting Kwikfit to see if they can register the Lexus sensor you are getting, or maybe try ATS.

4 hours ago, Johnlex said:

Watched it but it made no sense to me 

Yes, sorry, had a brain freeze there and for some reason or other I was thinking you had Techstream. If you have a Windows laptop it may well be a good idea to get it for future use as it's a very handy thing to have.

On 10/4/2021 at 8:38 AM, Bob99 said:

Glad your sorted John who did you go to in the end.

I got the new sensor from eBay original oem and put in by kwik fit for no charge £(FREE)  then 
I went to a private Lexus technician 

Who had the computer and lead and reprogrammed for me. Very handy contact 

On 9/28/2021 at 12:52 PM, Johnlex said:

Just contacted Lexus to fit the sensor is £115 including vat with service. I already have the part. They said only they can do it .

And yet the video I posted clearly shows that anyone can do it (as long as they have Techstream and the knowledge, of course).

21 minutes ago, Johnlex said:

With my car 2009 259c nothing would play ball and tech steam didn’t support apparently as I’m told ??

I would be extremely, super-surprised if that were true. Who told you that?

Most problems with Techstream for us private individuals are not with Techstream itself but with the miniVCI cable and its drivers.

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

I would be extremely, super-surprised if that were true. Who told you that?

Most problems with Techstream for us private individuals are not with Techstream itself but with the miniVCI cable and its drivers.

Could you write us a mini guide on what to download, from where, which cables...? That would be great

is this right?

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/DiagnosticTools/Software/GTS

39 minutes ago, peniole said:

Could you write us a mini guide on what to download, from where, which cables...? That would be great

is this right?

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/DiagnosticTools/Software/GTS

Yes, this is the correct link for if you want to do it the 'proper' way but you still need to buy the interface cable.

A cable such as this one randomly chosen from many available on eBay will come with a CD that contains a pirate copy of Techstream and also the cable drivers. I'm not condoning the use of pirate software, that's a matter for your own conscience, but whichever way you do it you'll need that interface cable so that your laptop can talk to the car and vice versa.

• Thanks 1