Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I spotted another IS 250C ! (plus other stuff)

In the five months or so of owning my 250C, for the first time yesterday morning I spotted another! Have seen quite a few saloon 250's but not a convertible. I really wanted to honk the horn (not a euphemism), but seeing as it was driven by an attractive lady I didn't want to give the wrong impression! Maybe I should post this in the 'Was it you?' forum? 

In other news, I had my had my first "quiet V6 on tickover moment" last week. At the filling station with roof down, daughter distracting me with chit-chat, jumped out of car to fill up, nozzle in the filler and . . .

For some odd reason I happened to glance at the tacho, which was showing 800rpm or whatever and I then realised that I hadn't switched the engine off! It was (is) so quiet and vibration-free, and combined with the hustle & bustle background noise at the filling station, I just had one of those 'moments'. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The IS250C is a lovely car to live with, its not mine but I near enough drive my mums more than she does as I tend to look after it and I like it more than my IS250 F Sport sometimes (Especially when you can get the top down!)

You don't see many of them on the road so it is a pleasure to see fellow drivers on the road with one. 😁

HI they are a nice car but not for everyone; iI can live with the restricted rear seat room and the restricted boot with the hood down ,I have had mine nearly 7 years now ,suits us so well I don't know what to do if and when it comes to replacement. In this time I have only seen 3 others, and I still get people asking what is it ?  ,last week one guy seemed quite put out because he thought it was an Audi !!!

Dave

23 minutes ago, true blue said:

suits us so well I don't know what to do if and when it comes to replacement.

LC500 ? :wub:

24 minutes ago, true blue said:

I still get people asking what is it ?  ,last week one guy seemed quite put out because he thought it was an Audi !!!

I've had 2 people - one a stranger in a car park, the other a work colleague - ask if mine was a Mercedes! :huh::biggrin:

I bought a 2010 IS250C last month! My first convertible, red with white/cream interior. Love it. Has navigation package.   But screen looking little faded.  Also skips audio modes sometimes, happens it seems more frequently when sitting directly in the sun. Probably part of the UV coating being worn off 😡. Was considering attempting to find a replacement.  

Keeping a lookout for others on the road now! 😂. This weekend the convertible  top got stuck open 2 times 😟. Getting it professionally detailed and ceramic coated tomorrow.  Ever lube any of the tops gears/components? Manual didn’t mention this or what grease 🧐

On 7/28/2020 at 5:28 PM, Ohisee said:

Having the same issue. Here in California 

Top goes down then won't go up. Did anybody replace the switch? I ordered one from ebay but I don't think I can install myself 

Hi Scott  I cannot find any information either on the hood retraction gear lubrication , when I carry out a service I lubricate bonnet hinges door hinges and various pivot points with a smear of lithium grease ,I also use this on the boot pivot points ,the hood pivot points ,the tooth crank arms 1 ea side and the 2 machined gears which are under a flap on the cover which fills the gap when the hood is down .1 each side .Inspect the geared arms carefully as they are a metal pressings and it is important that the teeth are all square with none bent or missing most problems seem to arise with micro switches which can prove troublesome to locate

Dave

Hi Scott,

Don't know if you have seen this but it is a recent post on the US Club Lexus site which might be of interest:

My daughter's 2010 , new-to-her, IS250c was having issues with the top...You'd put the top down and and wouldn't go back up not matter how many times you tried . Multiple times she had to drive home from work and put the car into the garage and work from home. She'd tried every so often and eventually it would work.

There were no warnings on the dash and no codes stored. We took a gamble and replaced the switch on the dash.THAT WORKED.

If you suspect the switch it might be worthwhile to take it out and soak it in electrical contact cleaner for a few hours, giveing it the occasional workout and ensuring that it has dried fully before re-fitting.

Dec.

1 hour ago, Beamish said:

Hi Scott,

Don't know if you have seen this but it is a recent post on the US Club Lexus site which might be of interest:

If you suspect the switch it might be worthwhile to take it out and soak it in electrical contact cleaner for a few hours, giveing it the occasional workout and ensuring that it has dried fully before re-fitting.

Dec.

Thanks Beamish!

That’s exact same issue I’m experiencing. After troubleshooting a bit - purposely putting car into a configuration that it should move (ex. Glove box switch, something behind car, luggage rack not in) holding switch closed would not tell me of the issues on display that I was creating.  I ordered the switch yesterday and will update upon replacement!