Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windows fogging up and muggy interior

I have noticed that my car's window fog up when parking and the interior has a muggy feeling. Not all windows. Mainly the driver's side of the windscreen and driver window. And the interior feels muggy. I have a sunroof and I caught it fogged or wet in one of the corners today. Is this a common problem? I thought about either something related to the AC or sunroof? In the carwash I see no leaks and I inspected the front carpets and found no water. I only have the car for a little over a month or so.

16 minutes ago, Lex_utor said:

I have noticed that my car's window fog up when parking and the interior has a muggy feeling. Not all windows. Mainly the driver's side of the windscreen and driver window. And the interior feels muggy. I have a sunroof and I caught it fogged or wet in one of the corners today. Is this a common problem? I thought about either something related to the AC or sunroof? In the carwash I see no leaks and I inspected the front carpets and found no water. I only have the car for a little over a month or so.

Check the sunroof drain tubes are not clogged up, had a major issue with this recently with our Mondeo (I know its not a Lexus) the carpets were soaking under all the insulation musty smell etc etc and the windows were dripping on the inside, lifted all the carpets and kept a domestic dehumidifier running in the car for about a week to drag out the moisture eventually got it sorted but has taken ages to rid the interior of the horrid musty smell.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mk_lon said:

Mine doesn't have a sunroof but whenever I park it in the winter the windows always gets steamed up very quickly 

Thanks. So this is acceptable? I have never had a car that did this. I only remember this from some of my father's cars but they were 70's cars. And it's not even really cold now. Plus inside feels more like the rain forest, which means it's kind of warm. It fogs when it's colder too though.

29 minutes ago, madasahatter said:

Use recirc and air con will soon clear. Try a smoke bomb to freshen up the interior.

Thanks. But that won't really fix the cause of the problem, right?

18 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

Check the sunroof drain tubes are not clogged up, had a major issue with this recently with our Mondeo (I know its not a Lexus) the carpets were soaking under all the insulation musty smell etc etc and the windows were dripping on the inside, lifted all the carpets and kept a domestic dehumidifier running in the car for about a week to drag out the moisture eventually got it sorted but has taken ages to rid the interior of the horrid musty smell.

Thanks. I will have to google what and where are the sunroof drain tubes. But I didn't detected any wet carpets at first sight. Although I just read about a common problem with these cars and clogged AC where under the seats gets wet. That I didn't check.

By the way, the interior doesn't smell bad. At least not yet. It smells of leather. 🙂 The front seats were newly redone before I bought it.

• 9 months later...

This is relatively common, especially in climates with high humidity. Many cars will have this situation. If you're a new car, I think it shouldn't be a leak problem. Using moisture absorbers (detailed here https://cardehumidifiers.com/car-moisture-absorbers/) can easily solve this problem, but also prevent mold and odors. I used to use disposable "damp-rid" packets to dehumidify small spaces, but these are renewable so less trash, lest waste, and pay for themselve quickly. They'll save you money in the long run. My 21 year old car sits alot and has a leak around the sunroof, so the water gets in and it's hot and humid, and next thing I know I've got green fur growing on my seats. Since I put this little moisture absorbers guy in my car I haven' t had a problem with mold.

• Thanks 1