Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Faecesbook gone down

steve2006

I use the Oculus Quest 2 headset for VR in my flight simulator which requires a facebook account to use it, I reluctantly opened an account but don’t use it as there are enough companies out there trying to suck every bit of information they can from me already.

Recently I got a discount card for Whitbread pub meals “30% off main meals register online.” Name OK, date of birth...Why? Address.....why, mobile number.....why, home phone number.....why? Card cut up and binned!

Tesco we know what you’re doing clubcard.

Screwfix “ What’s your email address mate” I just want a box of 1.5mm twin and earth cable clips, you don’t need my email and I ain’t your mate.

Apparently the complete Facebook system has failed so no access to various websites including oculus .....is this just the beginning of the lights going out I wonder!

• Like 1

Bought a fitness tracker that my wife wanted from Currys but to make the bloody thing work you had to download the "app"

It would need all access to everything (or so it seemed) and for good measure your DNA ................. back it went !

When it comes to Facebook information and security may as well be on different planets, Alexa is another one why put a device in your house that listens to every word you say, transmits that information to some mega computer then stores that information ready for the hackers.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

When it comes to Facebook information and security may as well be on different planets, Alexa is another one why put a device in your house that listens to every word you say, transmits that information to some mega computer then stores that information ready for the hackers.

You summed up some of the reasons not to have any so called social accounts.

6 hours ago, ALAW said:

I wonder about these smart televisions

Me too. Often when we watch something on Netflix we get an email saying things like, "now that you've watched so and so, why not try this" It doesn't feel comfortable knowing that what we watch is being, well, watched, even if it is by another computer!

11 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I use the Oculus Quest 2 headset for VR in my flight simulator which requires a facebook account to use it, I reluctantly opened an account but don’t use it as there are enough companies out there trying to suck every bit of information they can from me already.

Recently I got a discount card for Whitbread pub meals “30% off main meals register online.” Name OK, date of birth...Why? Address.....why, mobile number.....why, home phone number.....why? Card cut up and binned!

Screwfix “ What’s your email address mate” I just want a box of 1.5mm twin and earth cable clips, you don’t need my email and I ain’t your mate.

Apparently the complete Facebook system has failed so no access to various websites including oculus .....is this just the beginning of the lights going out I wonder!

Bear in mind Steve there is no requirement for you to provide accurate information other than to say your bank/government. 👆

• 4 weeks later...

I use my FB account less and less for personal purposes. Sometimes it is nice to see pictures of your friends from another part of the world, get in touch with people you haven't seen for ages and don't have a contact number. The other reason i am there - facebook ads. That's one of the best ways to promote a small business, worked great for me 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 10/4/2021 at 8:22 PM, steve2006 said:

Screwfix “ What’s your email address mate” I just want a box of 1.5mm twin and earth cable clips, you don’t need my email and I ain’t your mate

I have a second email address i use for these. All the details are false tho.

Also did you know if you have a gmail address you can add +name@gmail.com to the end. So for example: FakeEmail+Tesco@gmail.com  

This helps emails stay organised along with knowing who sold your info on to random people as if you check the "Email sent to" it will show the "+name" and you can avoid handing over your real details to that company next time you visit.