Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LED headlight bulbs

DarkoDarko

22 minutes ago, ben_harmer32 said:

I got told these are now an MOT failure as they have no beam pattern. 

Hmm... sort of.

The actual reason is that if the fitting is designed for halogen then it should have a halogen bulb in it; if it's designed for LED then it should have LED in there and so on. The 'gotcha' is "Light source and lamp not compatible".

From the MOT Inspection Manual:

hidhalo.thumb.png.a4870b85b9fe6b68bb5180433a254620.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

But risk dazzling other drivers, not very considerate....

If adjusted correct and having the right beam pattern, LED would be blinding the same as halogen. If not adjusted correct etc. LED could blind more than halogen.

When HID lamps were the new coming thing, all that was needed to make the light legal were that there was a lamp washer and a regulator of the height of the beam pattern controlled by a sensor on the rear axle of the car. Of course, they were not allowed to give 3 or more times more light than the original, but as long as the lamp height adjuster and washer were in place HID would pass the control. 1998 - 99 in Denmark (long time ago so a year or more could be not correct) we were selling these where I was working.

• Like 1

I have LED headlights in mine and the beam pattern is absolutely perfect. Doesn't dazzle other drivers and vision is way better now. I swap them out for the mot then drop them back in after.

The CT200h uses a projector style lamp so the beam pattern is not affected like it is on a normal style lamp. 

I used Novsight LEDs.

An interesting discussion on the merits of headlamp upgrades, reflector v projector.

Curiously they recommend LEDs for reflector lamps and HiDs for projector type

It's an American company/website so no relevance to UK regulation, road legality or insurance

https://www.xenonpro.com/difference-between-projector-reflector-headlights

we have leds fitted in our Auris hybrid 66 plate with projector headlights

and have no issue with the mot due to the beam pattern being created by

the shutter and not the lens.

The CT we have is equipped with LED from factory on low beam and fog light, but high beam has halogen.

Will install LED and if they look to me OK will go with the LED next year and see what they will say. They should have no problems with the LED as the headlamp has the washer and automatic level for the LED as low beam are in the car with LED from factory. I suppose the car will pass and they will not say anything, probably not even notice. I will not put super bright in, just white LED with about same lumen as the halogen. 5500 - 5800 Kelvin is what I find correct, but will probably end up with 6000 as that is what is sold. Yellow light was modern in 1970 -80 in French cars, but today it is not so.

2 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

If you read the MoT handbook the fail is not in the beam pattern but the type approval of the headlamp unit and the light source not being in agreement. 

Yeah it makes me quite the hypocrite as I fail atleast 1 car per week for this when I'm testing 🤣

8 hours ago, rob_clio172 said:

Yeah it makes me quite the hypocrite as I fail atleast 1 car per week for this when I'm testing 🤣

If it fails because of blinding or having wrong beam pattern it makes sense or not having washer for the lamp system or not regulating the height of the beam when empty or loaded it makes sense, if it fails because of some writer of a testing system has made a mistake and perhaps was lobbied by lamp or bulb factories it should be corrected.

By the way if a LED bulb is blinding because the beam height is not regulated by a sensor the same will be the case with a halogen bulb.

In colder countries (not now of course with all the global warming) the washer would not keep the lamp free of snow or ice very long.

billede.thumb.png.886ac76ed27bacf1f089e89ca13e9702.png

Lobby-ism is the most dangerous kind of bribery because it is legal.

15 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

An interesting discussion on the merits of headlamp upgrades, reflector v projector.

Curiously they recommend LEDs for reflector lamps and HiDs for projector type

It's an American company/website so no relevance to UK regulation, road legality or insurance

https://www.xenonpro.com/difference-between-projector-reflector-headlights

Ask a xenonpro if Xenon is good or bad is like asking a politician if he/she is reliable.

Xenon are not good for high beam as high beam is often used to give a warning blink and Xenon takes a while to light up, where LED light up full power immediately (almost immediately).

4 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

if it fails because of some writer of a testing system has made a mistake and perhaps was lobbied by lamp or bulb factories it should be corrected.

The rule became necessary due to people putting any bulbs in any lamp units and causing dazzle to other drivers.

It's not as simple as stuffing anything in there that will light up.

Lamps, lamp units and lenses are a very complicated science. All those lines you see on a halogen lamp unit glass are not there just for decoration, it takes into account reflection, refraction, defraction, beam pattern and other stuff. Millions of pounds have been spent in R & D to create an end product that works as it was scientifically designed to and then somebody decides, "Nah, I want to put these in so I will" without thought or consideration as to what would happen.

The proliferation of badly-matched lights and the dazzle caused by them were the driving force for this MOT regulation to be created.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Herbie said:

The rule became necessary due to people putting any bulbs in any lamp units and causing dazzle to other drivers.

It's not as simple as stuffing anything in there that will light up.

Lamps, lamp units and lenses are a very complicated science. All those lines you see on a halogen lamp unit glass are not there just for decoration, it takes into account reflection, refraction, defraction, beam pattern and other stuff. Millions of pounds have been spent in R & D to create an end product that works as it was scientifically designed to and then somebody decides, "Nah, I want to put these in so I will" without thought or consideration as to what would happen.

The proliferation of badly-matched lights and the dazzle caused by them were the driving force for this MOT regulation to be created.

And if pattern of beam is correct, would it still be a problem in your eyes? I am not one to trust authorities as I know they are (just like Trump) MYSELF FIRST. I trust the brain I have been given and if something is logic it is OK, if something does not make sense, we should try to find the reason behind. That is one of the reasons we have brains.

27 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

And if pattern of beam is correct, would it still be a problem in your eyes? I am not one to trust authorities as I know they are (just like Trump) MYSELF FIRST. I trust the brain I have been given and if something is logic it is OK, if something does not make sense, we should try to find the reason behind. That is one of the reasons we have brains.

I don't know about "authorities" nor do I care. I believe in the science and the scientists who did all the R & D.