Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hybrid Battery Health Check

I’m in the market for a 450h. One car I’m interested in hasn’t had a hybrid Battery health check carried out at its last service (done at a non Lexus garage), but was done at the previous Lexus Dealer service back in 2018. The car has done 15k miles since then, so not a lot.

Is the Health check a must? Does it flag issues? Could I buy the car and just drop it into Lexus and have them do a check?

Cheers Jules 

I would rather have the hybrid health check done before buying the car. If you are buying from a private you may ask him/her to carry out the hybrid check as a condition before buying it. In the worst case scenario if it was me, I would offer the seller to pay for the hybrid check (it should be no more than 60£) only if the car looks really good.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Appreciate your reply. How often are concerns flagged at the time of a health check? Do Lexus give a % guide etc on the battery status?

I think the result is either pass/fail - although personally I have never heard of a fail

But it must be worth it if £60 covers your Battery for 12 months

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

I think the result is either pass/fail - although personally I have never heard of a fail

But it must be worth it if £60 covers your battery for 12 months

Absolutely agree

The health test is just the value of the internal resistance of the Battery modules which can be displayed by a scan tool.

New modules have a very low value, something like 0.015 Ohms. As the modules " age " this value increases. Normally the internal resistance value increases very slowly over time and according to the charge/discharge cycles. There are many hybrid batteries over ten years old and with 250 000 km on the clock and still going strong.

So in your case I would not worry about it.

Chris.

• Like 1