Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another New ES

Scoops

Hello all! Lexus number 4 and this is a Premium Edition variant with Deep Blue and Rich Cream interior. I didn't have a colour choice and didn't realise it would have a multiple flavour chocolate interior until after I bought it but it so happens I quite like it! Quietest and most comfortable Lexus I have had yet.

ES 300h.jpg

• Like 6

15 hours ago, cruisermark said:

Great looking car - enjoy!

Any interior pictures . . . . .

What did you drive before this?

Looks like everybody is going for the ES these days 

I don't have an interior picture to hand but will stick one up later when I get chance. I don't think the brown is for the faint hearted but the range of colours does help the interior stand out and let you see the design. Also I like to think that it is more like a piece of furniture on the inside, rather than just a car - or I keep telling myself that anyway.

Previous Lexus are CT, an IS and then another CT with a Volvo XC60 wedged in between the last 2...

• Like 1

The Volvo is a solid enough car. Clean design lines and decent materials used. It is a fair amount of car for the money although quite a different design ethos than the Lexus. Whether you like the actual aesthetics or not is up to you but there were some odd design choices. Here are some random pros and cons:

Pros

• Clean design.
  • Roomy enough although the boot isn't as big as you think it should be.
  • Comfy and capable motorway mile muncher.
  • Great heated steering wheel - hot enough on the coldest day!
  • Clear digital dashboard.
  • Remote car starting and warmup. Not that useful for most I expect but in my usage case, it was very handy.
  • Clear HUD.

Cons

• The D4 engine is underpowered unless you just need to get from A to B. Oh it was noisy as well unless on the motorway.
  • Power delivery is TERRIBLE (lag). After a couple of years, it still drove me mad.
  • Touchscreen - not a fan of these in cars, regardless of what anyone every says about the Lexus remote touch etc...
  • Unsupportive and verging on uncomfortable seats.
  • Handling but what do you expect from a big SUV.
  • Electrical issues that were eventually solved but kept killing the power steering.
  • Useless 'off road' - could do rough tracks but wet grass undid it, even in offroad mode.
  • Silly UI choices - e.g. 3 actions to change drive mode.

All that said, this and the ES are clearly very different cars. I went from an IS into the Volvo and missed it straight away. The Volvo might be comparable to other SUVs though, I would rather have a saloon myself. In the end, the ES is much much nicer to drive but it depends what you are after I suppose.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Scoops said:

The Volvo is a solid enough car. Clean design lines and decent materials used. It is a fair amount of car for the money although quite a different design ethos than the Lexus. Whether you like the actual aesthetics or not is up to you but there were some odd design choices. Here are some random pros and cons:

Pros

• Clean design.
  • Remote car starting and warmup. Not that useful for most I expect but in my usage case, it was very handy.
  • Clear HUD.

Cons

• The D4 engine is underpowered unless you just need to get from A to B. Oh it was noisy as well unless on the motorway.
  • Power delivery is TERRIBLE (lag). After a couple of years, it still drove me mad.
  • Touchscreen - not a fan of these in cars, regardless of what anyone every says about the Lexus remote touch etc...
  • Electrical issues that were eventually solved but kept killing the power steering.
  • Useless 'off road' - could do rough tracks but wet grass undid it, even in offroad mode.

All that said, this and the ES are clearly very different cars. I went from an IS into the Volvo and missed it straight away. The Volvo might be comparable to other SUVs though, I would rather have a saloon myself. In the end, the ES is much much nicer to drive but it depends what you are after I suppose.

How funny, I had the V40 as my previous car with the newer D4 engine 190BHP & it was very responsive with the twin turbo's even from tick over.

The seats were also very comfortable, not quite as good as the IS300, but almost as good.

No build quality issues either in my 5 years of ownership.

16 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

How funny, I had the V40 as my previous car with the newer D4 engine 190BHP & it was very responsive with the twin turbo's even from tick over.

The seats were also very comfortable, not quite as good as the IS300, but almost as good.

No build quality issues either in my 5 years of ownership.

Depending on your spec, the XC60 is half a ton heavier with not much more power. Very responsive is not how I would have described the XC but I suppose it depends on what your usage is... I can see why people like it, there is a lot of like. Just not my cup of tea though..

53 minutes ago, Scoops said:

Pros

• Clean design.
  • Clear HUD.

Cons

Thanks for the reply - I was impressed with the tech when I was looking at 2017 S90s - I initially saw one in a car park and thought they looked nice

Guess I will have to drive one and see

The S90 saloon is a similar size to the ES and very striking, also very different. I have been in the estate version which was nice enough but the tech levels are not as good (or were not at the time e.g. carplay was not standard)..