Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Club SmartGuard - I'm not happy

Mincey

Afternoon all, 

Some of you may remember the posts I made a couple of weeks after collecting my IS300h (a rocket ship and the best car in its segment bar none), where I described in great detail the damage caused to the nearside front wheel when a kerb in Peterborough's Queensgate car park leapt out of the darkness and bit it, and to the area behind the driver's door handle where some ring-wearing ne'er do well had tried to break into it.

Well, as you all know, I'm currently waiting to pick up Betsy, the Blue ES. When I had my IS valued, like the utter clot I am, I told them that I'd invoke the Club SmartGuard protection to get the wheel and scratches fixed up, so it could be treated as immaculate for the trade-in. I won't go into the story of the progress so far, I'll save that for a later date, so this is my question: have any of you had and invoked the Club SmartGuard protection, and if so, how bloody long does it take?

Hi James,

I don't think it's quite the same company, but I've used Shine Repair (part of Smart Insurance) when I scuffed a wing mirror in April this year.

After sending a couple of pictures to them via the app, the approval to go ahead and carry out the repair was done within 24 hours. I booked an appointment about 2 weeks after the approval date, but they were able to offer me slots before this, within a few days if I remember (I couldn't have the repair done any earlier than this as I was due to go on holiday).

The repair was also done to a very high standard, so no complaints from me.

• Like 1

Thanks Mikey, it looks like I may have a wait ahead of me then. The temptation to see what Chips Away can do for me instead is high, as is the temptation to cancel the SmartGuard cover on the ES.

• Like 1

I've just had word from the repair contractors that they can come on October 26th to do the paint repairs and December 7th to do the wheel repair. Now, here's a question for you, my club chums: what would you do, having already paid for the car you're waiting for...?

A chap from Chips Away is coming for a shuftie on Monday afternoon. If he can do it quickly and it's not going to cost me several limbs, I'll go for it as I'm tired of waiting now. I can hear Betsy calling me in the early hours.....

• Like 1

Now, I know you've all been dying to have an update. Well, wait no longer. 

Ed from Chips Away has just been. He's amazing. He took one look at the scratches on the boot lid and behind the door handle, then disappeared into his van. He returned with a cloth and a bottle of clever stuff which he rubbed onto each scratch. Both have now completely gone. He has gone away to write me a quote for fixing the wheel. 

Level of happiness: Euphoric.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mincey said:

Update time: £92 to fix the wheel. Just waiting for a date now. I'm tempted to see if he takes bribes.

October 22nd. I feel like Unlucky Alf from The Fast Show.

Wheel done! Ed has done an absolutely cracking job and the wheel looks brand new. Assuming that I don't stuff it on the way to Leicester tomorrow, someone is going to get a very tidy car. 

5 hours ago, Mincey said:

Wheel done! Ed has done an absolutely cracking job and the wheel looks brand new. Assuming that I don't stuff it on the way to Leicester tomorrow, someone is going to get a very tidy car. 

Good luck 😀

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

Good luck 😀

V5 found? Done
Insurance sorted? Done (sadly)
Spare key found? Done
Wheel nut lock found and code put back into box? Done
Glove box emptied? Done
Boot clear? Done
Cubby holes emptied? Done
Gaffer tape on the numberplates? Done
Old plates blu-tacked onto the inside of the front and back windows? Done

I think we're good to go 😁

(In case anyone's wondering about what on Earth I'm doing with the number plates - given the hassle I've had with getting scratches fixed, would you pull stuck on number plates off? No, I didn't think you would)

• Like 1