Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

aerial problem

gordon mccartney

I don't see why not. There's nothing 'Lexus-specific' about a radio aerial. As long as it physically fits in the hole and has a coax lead, Robert is your mother's brother.

It’s generally the nylon drive that fails so although the motor runs the aerial doesn’t move, replacements parts are available and a DIY project.

There are several tutorials for fitting.

• Like 2

Got to be the most satisfying Lexus fix there is. A bit of messiness dismantling the motor and removing the broken nylon toothed belt but reinstalling the new mast and belt is great. If the OP does decide to fix rather than replace then buy genuine Lexus.

19 hours ago, Herbie said:

I don't see why not. There's nothing 'Lexus-specific' about a radio aerial. As long as it physically fits in the hole and has a coax lead, Robert is your mother's brother.

Replaced the broken electric aerial in the MR2 with a manual one from Halfords. About a tenner iirc.

• Like 2

On 10/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, rich1068 said:

Got to be the most satisfying Lexus fix there is. A bit of messiness dismantling the motor and removing the broken nylon toothed belt but reinstalling the new mast and belt is great. If the OP does decide to fix rather than replace then buy genuine Lexus.

Replaced the broken electric aerial in the MR2 with a manual one from Halfords. About a tenner iirc.

Hi Rich, why buy genuine Lexus parts?

7 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

The genuine Lexus aerial mast is designed to work with the car and the ML system. A manual replacement from your favourite car shop will work okay but won't auto adjust for FM and AM radio.  

3 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

Thanks Neil, that explained that 👍

I just realised that the aerial is the only part of my original audio system still in use. 🤣

19 hours ago, Lexiguy said:

11 hours ago, Neil E said:

The genuine Lexus aerial mast is designed to work with the car and the ML system. A manual replacement from your favourite car shop will work okay but won't auto adjust for FM and AM radio.  

By all means use a non-electric aerial, at full extension it'll work just fine. But if you want to make use of the motor the genuine Lexus replacement mast and belt are a better quality alternative to those on eBay etc. The Lexus motor, mast and belt work quite hard for what they are. Constantly up and down depending on which frequency is selected on the radio.

• Like 1