Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF alarm setting

Hi all,

When I bought the car 2 weeks ago it made a long audible tone when the alarm was set. I noticed today that it has stopped doing that, and I don't actually recall hearing it yesterday come to think of it. Is there something on the fob, dash or settings to alter it that I may have accidentally triggered? I liked the long beep as it let me know it was done. I've tried a quick look in the manual and on here but not seen anything. Hope you guys can help.

On another note. I love this car. Despite the clunky infotainment. I've had more fun in a fortnight than I had in 3 years of BMW ownership haha. I came from a PHEV 530e M Sport Auto. Cost me next to nothing to run as was charged at work for commute etc. Very different animals.

Ass no plate.jpg

Front .75 no plate.jpg

Lexus front no plate.jpg

Rear LH .75 no plate.jpg

20211002_113407.jpg

The only 'long' tone I have ever known is when you try to lock it with the key inside.

Mine has never made any tone when locking, not that I've looked but maybe a menu setting exists?

Glad you are enjoying the car and welcome to F club 😄

Thanks fella. Yeah, from watching other youtube videos it certainly doesn't seem the norm for it to make a noise when setting but it definitely did. I'll live with it as is, just as long as I know my alarm's working as it should. My worry was that it might not be set properly for some reason. Guess I'm a touch paranoid with my new toy haha. Cheers!

Mine only makes a beep noise if you have left the ignition on or left the key in the car and then try to lock it or even shut the door. My RCF does not beep normally when being locked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nthnmunky said:

Thanks fella. Yeah, from watching other youtube videos it certainly doesn't seem the norm for it to make a noise when setting but it definitely did. I'll live with it as is, just as long as I know my alarm's working as it should. My worry was that it might not be set properly for some reason. Guess I'm a touch paranoid with my new toy haha. Cheers!

If you set the mirrors to autofold when car is locked, it is a quick way to tell whether the car is locked or not. We all go through the new car paranoia so don't worry haha! Enjoy 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No beeps by default. A long beep indicates an issue such as door left ajar or keys in the vehicle.

I believe there may be a confirmation beep setting but that can only be enabled via dealer/Techstream software.

Personally I find the noise of the door locks enough to confirm you have locked the vehicle, and I always use the smart entry way to lock the vehicle by touching the door handle so I'm always close enough to hear.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

No beeps by default. A long beep indicates an issue such as door left ajar or keys in the vehicle.

I believe there may be a confirmation beep setting but that can only be enabled via dealer/Techstream software.

Personally I find the noise of the door locks enough to confirm you have locked the vehicle, and I always use the smart entry way to lock the vehicle by touching the door handle so I'm always close enough to hear.

Thanks Colin. I wasn't even aware of the smart entry feature lol. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. 

25 minutes ago, nthnmunky said:

Thanks Colin. I wasn't even aware of the smart entry feature lol. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. 

Michael, does this model have the double locking feature?

If you lock the doors by touching the sensor on the door handle- and then touch it again two or three seconds later - you may hear another locking action.  This will be the dead locks activating.

The purpose is to render the locks inoperable even if someone breaks a window and tries to open the door by reaching inside.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:11 PM, nthnmunky said:

It took me a while to realise that as well. As long as you have the key in your pocket, you can just walk up to the car and open the door. At night there are little lights inside the doorhandle as well that light up as you approach.

Mine doesn't make a beep sound either, if the mirrors fold in I know the car's locked though.

Having read the manual today re something else i came across the long beep sound in one of the pages, and basically its down to either key left in car or door not being closed fully, other than that I’ve never heard the long beeping noise, 

i have been guilty of having both keys with me and forgot i had it in my jacket on back seat and could fathom why I couldn’t lock car as i had other key in my hand…w-mins later it dawned on me…plonker that i am….lol

On 10/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, LenT said:

Michael, does this model have the double locking feature?

If you lock the doors by touching the sensor on the door handle- and then touch it again two or three seconds later - you may hear another locking action.  This will be the dead locks activating.

The purpose is to render the locks inoperable even if someone breaks a window and tries to open the door by reaching inside.

I use the double lock all the time, along with a steering lock and putting the keys in a Faraday pouch.  I'm not really paranoid ... !

On 10/12/2021 at 1:16 AM, mr2lad said:

Having read the manual today re something else i came across the long beep sound in one of the pages, and basically its down to either key left in car or door not being closed fully, other than that I’ve never heard the long beeping noise, 

i have been guilty of having both keys with me and forgot i had it in my jacket on back seat and could fathom why I couldn’t lock car as i had other key in my hand…w-mins later it dawned on me…plonker that i am….lol

I do believe you can attract a long beep by exiting the vehicle with the key…and leaving the engine running!

At least, that’s what happened when I did it!

1 hour ago, LenT said:

I do believe you can attract a long beep by exiting the vehicle with the key…and leaving the engine running!

Sorry…forgot to add that I was also trying to shut the door!

13 hours ago, LenT said:

Haha upside to an RCF is you notice when the engine is running that V8 burbles away

• Like 1