Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gas and electricity supplies over winter.

steve2006

Just read that gas and electric supplies will not run over winter out and there is no need to panic.

Curiosity got the better of me so I decided to find out for myself, the supermarket shelves are empty.......no gas or electricity in stock just empty shelves with staff having no idea when further deliveries will arrive.

CEEC53A6-26CD-4368-AC80-99F1EE35EB01.jpeg

• Haha 3

You need to be a more savvy shopper, if you go to aisle 12 you'll find it in the frozen section. We've stocked our freezer to the brim with diesel, petrol, gas and electric, easy!

• Haha 4

I live on a narrowboat.

My heating is a multifuel stove. I have managed to get myself 70 nets of logs for £40. A bit of smokeless coal. Also have a webasto diesel boiler to heat rads and hot water, that currently using existing red diesel.

Normally spent £20-30 per week, depending how cold it is, heating my 50ft by 6ft narrowboat. I keep the fire lit 24/7 when it's cold out, on my Woodwarm fireview 4.5kw.

liv room boat.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Just read that gas and electric supplies will not run over winter out and there is no need to panic.

Curiosity got the better of me so I decided to find out for myself, the supermarket shelves are empty.......no gas or electricity in stock just empty shelves with staff having no idea when further deliveries will arrive.

Back in the USSR ?

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

There's your problem Steve - you're looking in the wrong place because those shelves are open with no end caps.

If you put any gas on one of those shelves it would just run off the end and you'd need a big bucket to catch it, and the same with electricity too.

There's a big Health & Safety issue here though. You'd have to cap off the gas shelf at one end and the tizzy shelf at the other because it would be highly dangerous to collect both the gas and the Volts in the same bucket due to the risk of explosion!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JamesIS220 said:

I live on a narrowboat.

My heating is a multifuel stove. I have managed to get myself 70 nets of logs for £40. A bit of smokeless coal. Also have a webasto diesel boiler to heat rads and hot water, that currently using existing red diesel.

Normally spent £20-30 per week, depending how cold it is, heating my 50ft by 6ft narrowboat. I keep the fire lit 24/7 when it's cold out, on my Woodwarm fireview 4.5kw.

liv room boat.jpg

I really would like to sell our house and do something different like a boat, a shame my wife doesn't agree!  Yours just looks fantastic!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

There's your problem Steve - you're looking in the wrong place because those shelves are open with no end caps.

If you put any gas on one of those shelves it would just run off the end and you'd need a big bucket to catch it, and the same with electricity too.

There's a big Health & Safety issue here though. You'd have to cap off the gas shelf at one end and the tizzy shelf at the other because it would be highly dangerous to collect both the gas and the Volts in the same bucket due to the risk of explosion!

And not only that! You cant keep electricity too long before it goes off and starts smelling! Could be thats the reason they took it off the shelves as well?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

And not only that! You cant keep electricity too long before it goes off and starts smelling! Could be thats the reason they took it off the shelves as well?

Are you confusing, Bernard, best before with use by dates? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Are you confusing, Bernard, best before with use by dates? 

Could well be Phil, could well be. I for sure will be sniffing all my wall contacts, sockets and even plugs in house to see if they give me fresh electricity!

Glad to see that the traditional British sense of humour in the face of adversity still exists.  Frankly, viewed from across the Channel, the situation looks pretty sad to anyone with affection for Britain. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, The-Acre said:

You need to be a more savvy shopper, if you go to aisle 12 you'll find it in the frozen section. We've stocked our freezer to the brim with diesel, petrol, gas and electric, easy!

Ha but you missed the quilted toilet rolls on aisle 9, to protect consumers from the increases in wholesale cost the price has been capped by Ofbog. 😀

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Could well be Phil, could well be. I for sure will be sniffing all my wall contacts, sockets and even plugs in house to see if they give me fresh electricity!

Apparently my new supplier provides me with 100% green energy, there’s algae and moss forming in the fuse box.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

Ha but you missed the quilted toilet rolls on aisle 9, to protect consumers from the increases in wholesale cost the price has been capped by Ofbog. 😀

I didn't know there was mans access to aisle 9, I thought that was "womens" things!

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Hmmm, not quite sure you should be admitting to going about sniffing things, people may think that you have an uncontrollable fetish, a coke habit or an allergy to amps voltage or ohms 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rabbers said:

Glad to see that the traditional British sense of humour in the face of adversity still exists.  Frankly, viewed from across the Channel, the situation looks pretty sad to anyone with affection for Britain. 

Well the Greeks have a saying that the tree braving the strongest winds have the the deepest roots 

19 hours ago, Herbie said:

At least getting gas home from the supermarket is easy these days…

image.jpeg.c8bc93046369f5c52490894425a3b7e1.jpeg

13 hours ago, Rabbers said:

^^ Likewise, most people in the UK do have affection for the peoples across Continental Europe. The vote to leave the EU was based on many things, but I don’t think it was ever about the people, it was an inevitable reaction to the EU as an institution and fears about the direction of travel since the implementation of Lisbon. A cynic would say - as a French colleague noted to me just last week - that media across the Continent will overplay the situation in the UK just to make sure growing public discontent with the EU is managed. That’s what a cynic would say…

My real fear is that the EU will press ahead and force France to give up her seat on the UNSC and give it to the EU. It’s been a long held aspiration of the institution. That would never have happened with both the UK and France at the table - why would you give up two seats in exchange for one - but now it’s looking increasingly likely. Marine Le Pen’s poll ratings had been slowly declining, but if that does happen (or is even strongly expected to happen) then with the election next year there’s a real risk of Front Nationale seeing a resurgence. For anybody with an affection for France (part of my family are historically Franco-German) that would be a disaster.

on a lighter....  electricity note  woooosh

my son-in-law with his new EV ( on PCP I think )  has just told me last night that his home EV Charging point no longer qualifies for the reduced charge/cost££ rate that he took when he took the new car just a very few months back ....  due to global situation I guess ........... and his British Gas tariffs he's with

Oh one of the upcoming joys of an EV these coming days and months

Malc

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

At least getting gas home from the supermarket is easy these days…

image.jpeg.c8bc93046369f5c52490894425a3b7e1.jpeg

^^ Likewise, most people in the UK do have affection for the peoples across Continental Europe. The vote to leave the EU was based on many things, but I don’t think it was ever about the people, it was an inevitable reaction to the EU as an institution and fears about the direction of travel since the implementation of Lisbon. A cynic would say - as a French colleague noted to me just last week - that media across the Continent will overplay the situation in the UK just to make sure growing public discontent with the EU is managed. That’s what a cynic would say…

My real fear is that the EU will press ahead and force France to give up her seat on the UNSC and give it to the EU. It’s been a long held aspiration of the institution. That would never have happened with both the UK and France at the table - why would you give up two seats in exchange for one - but now it’s looking increasingly likely. Marine Le Pen’s poll ratings had been slowly declining, but if that does happen (or is even strongly expected to happen) then with the election next year there’s a real risk of Front Nationale seeing a resurgence. For anybody with an affection for France (part of my family are historically Franco-German) that would be a disaster.

Fair points Ed especially the one about managing discontent 

2 hours ago, Malc said:

on a lighter....  electricity note  woooosh

my son-in-law with his new EV ( on PCP I think )  has just told me last night that his home EV Charging point no longer qualifies for the reduced charge/cost££ rate that he took when he took the new car just a very few months back ....  due to global situation I guess ........... and his British Gas tariffs he's with

Oh one of the upcoming joys of an EV these coming days and months

Malc

Interesting Malc, so he takes out a contract which they can arbitrarily change upwards 🤔. How can that be? 

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

How can that be?

no idea !  perhaps it's simply in the one-sided contracts these suppliers might be able to enter into with their customers

Malc