Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

corroded fuel filler pipe - anyone ever heard of this?

At last service (12 months ago) the dealership flagged up a corroded fuel filler pipe.  We didn't do anything about it, partly because I assumed it was all part of the tank and therefore horrendously expensive.  But I have since discovered that the filler pipe connects to the tank by a rubber sleeve so it's just a bit of pipe at a bargain 300 pounds sterling or so 😄.

So my question is twofold - how would the dealership have spotted corrosion on this pipe without removing lots of panelling (perhaps it's visible from the wheel arch?).  And secondly - how practical would it be to wire brush the rust off, and paint it with hammerite?

Thanks

Mike

Mike, after some thought, I do recollect this being raised before on the Forum ....  no idea where tho'

And coming to light now maybe particularly that E10 / E5 fuels whichever one, is susceptible to rotting aluminium parts etc ......  other posts here too

Good luck in your search ....  can't believe someone clever with their hands couldn't produce a copycat fuel filler pipe to MOT standards for a comparative few pence

Malc

• Like 1

If it was noted during inspection you have assume they could see it when its in the air on a ramp.

if it does rot through to a hole it will affect the emmissions bit of recycled vapours

wire brush, emerytape, hammerite should protect it  .

When i am under my car and see any rusty bits I spray them with waxy anticorrosion spray like waxoyl aerosol.
Bolts especially get this treatment in case they have to come off.

• Like 2

I've only just joined so am not sure if I can post links to other forums. So, do a search for "rusty fuel filler pipe" and you should see a link to a wheels inmotion site which has a thread regarding rusty fuel pipes on an RX. There are several photos showing the pipes and location.

You can see them if you can get under the car or, if you remove the nearside rear wheel and undo the arch liner, you can see where they go under and can follow the routing. Mine were fine, and so I gave them a spray of ACF-50 whilst I had the wheel and cover off.

• Like 4

Mine was severely corroded when dealer tried one on when I bought it. The pipe comes from tank over the rear axle then up in the wheel arch. If they change it make sure you put some under seal on it as paint that is on it is thin as hell and mine was scratched back to the metal when Lexus installed it. Glad I didn’t pay for it.

• Like 1

Various cars I have broken for spares in the past have had the filler tube welded to the tank but if the Lexus ones are detachable but starting to corrode, I wonder if effective cleaning and getting the pipe galvanised would be the answer, assuming the pipe is made of steel 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 2:50 PM, Bluemarlin said:

I've only just joined so am not sure if I can post links to other forums. So, do a search for "rusty fuel filler pipe" and you should see a link to a wheels inmotion site which has a thread regarding rusty fuel pipes on an RX. There are several photos showing the pipes and location.

You can see them if you can get under the car or, if you remove the nearside rear wheel and undo the arch liner, you can see where they go under and can follow the routing. Mine were fine, and so I gave them a spray of ACF-50 whilst I had the wheel and cover off.

This looks like the thread you refer to.

https://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/19422-rusty-fuel-filler-pipe/

• Like 1

Very common with Toyota and Lexus. Normally starts flagging about 8 years old and ready for replacement at 10 years old. The one to watch is you can get a fuel leak at the bottom of the pipe on the bend before it goes through the rubber interfacing with the tank. Essentially it means if your fuel tank is more than say half full you always have fuel in the very bottom section of the pipe which if corroded/holed starts to leak. The corrosion is brought on as a result of the UK salted roads and that the pipe is always exposed to surface water, salt and general road grime throughout its lifespan. 

A lot of third party replacement pipes available but some of the Toyota and lexus range not really available, I guess due to not much demand due to the limited number of cars on the road. 

• Like 1

Hmmmm - I suspect my Lexus dealership cannot get the part - they are not returning my calls.  I have a guy who can do the intermediate service and take a look at the corroded fuel pipe.  I think I will tell him to be very careful when he's looking at the corrosion in case he punctures the pipe.  Did I read a post above that it's possible to do a 'wrap' on the pipe, and does this mean without removing the rust before doing so?

Mike 

On 10/17/2021 at 10:15 AM, mikesands said:

Hmmmm - I suspect my Lexus dealership cannot get the part - they are not returning my calls

If the part is no longer available you may be able to get one made at https://www.pirtek.co.uk/

I'm not sure if they do this sort of thing but I know they can make brake hoses, hydraulic pipes and suchlike. Might be worth a phone call.

On 10/12/2021 at 8:30 AM, Malc said:

Mike, after some thought, I do recollect this being raised before on the Forum ....  no idea where tho'

And coming to light now maybe particularly that E10 / E5 fuels whichever one, is susceptible to rotting aluminium parts etc ......  other posts here too

Good luck in your search ....  can't believe someone clever with their hands couldn't produce a copycat fuel filler pipe to MOT standards for a comparative few pence

Malc

Is this it?......

heavens above :unsure:    4 years down the line, no idea ........  just the fuel filler pipe words " spoke to me " when my mind was uplifted by your comments :wink3:

Malc

• 11 months later...

Hi I have a 2004 RX 300 which has failed MOT due to a corroded fuel pipe which can be seen on the ramp. I cant seem to get the part. Anyone who knows where it is likely to be available ?

• Sad 1

is it possible to get one fabricated these days ..........  especially with 3D Printing of perhaps the section of the pipe that's failing 

Just a thought

Malc

16 minutes ago, suneel said:

no, none before .....My Garage says will take a month to reach them from Lexus. is there any quicker way to reach or a number i can contact

A second hand unit from a breakers is going to be your only option of getting a replacement quickly I would have thought. Removing the old one and cleaning/painting it could also be an option if the corrosion is only surface rust.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, suneel said:

Hi I have a 2004 RX 300 which has failed MOT due to a corroded fuel pipe which can be seen on the ramp. I cant seem to get the part. Anyone who knows where it is likely to be available ?

Has it definitely failed... or is it an advisory?

It does seem odd to go from one extreme to the other...

I had corrosion on my RX, but no actual fail...

22 minutes ago, PCM said:

Has it definitely failed... or is it an advisory?

It does seem odd to go from one extreme to the other...

I had corrosion on my RX, but no actual fail...

My post of a year ago highlights this issue.  I am now at 2 years since the dealership noted the corrosion and its since gone through 2 MOTs

Mike

• Like 1