Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Active Noise Control

Scoops

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is actually enabled in the ES (I have the Premium Edition). It is implied that it is in various literature but the manual makes no mention of it (maybe because there is no use selectable settings?). I have to say, it is beautifully quiet in the cabin so it wouldn't surprise me if it was but you would think they would make a bigger deal of it?

Cheers

18 hours ago, Scoops said:

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is actually enabled in the ES (I have the Premium Edition). It is implied that it is in various literature but the manual makes no mention of it (maybe because there is no use selectable settings?). I have to say, it is beautifully quiet in the cabin so it wouldn't surprise me if it was but you would think they would make a bigger deal of it?

Cheers

It's not mentioned in the spec of the ES that I have on order.

It is in the specification list as standard equipment and the Lexus video on the subject shows the ES as one of the models that uses it.. I just find it a fascinating technology that hasn't had much coverage.

42 minutes ago, Mincey said:

I may be wrong (I often am) but isn't it an F Sport thing? I've got it on my IS and much like the flappy paddles, it has been used once then turned off.

Hey, I was wrong! I was thinking about something else. Or was I? I don't know....

You were perhaps thinking of the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System which is otherwise known as 'why is my car louder in reverse than my previous Lexus?'

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

I may be wrong (I often am) but isn't it an F Sport thing? I've got it on my IS and much like the flappy paddles, it has been used once then turned off.

Agree, on our old IS F Sport, used once then turned off. My old Corvette had much better active noise control, the V8 sound came out of the four pipes at the rear.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It is a standard feature on F Sport and Takumi only.

Not that I doubt you at all but the Lexus specification sheet, it is standard across the range. 

Not sure when they standardized it across the range, but can confirm my 2021 has ANC. Not a new feature. Honda accord got it about 15 years ago in the US. Nice to have but the well dampened floor, wheel wells, double glazing, and even noise absorbing floor mats are I think more important.

@Alan305 I wouldn't turn on ANC on a C6 either 😀

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

are you able to see the microphones/openings in the headlining? If they visible then that would be the easiest way to confirm if a vehicle has it or not.

That's how I knew it has it, both sides and back. If it was just the microphone for voice commands, phone it should be only drivers side, right?

Here's the Sep 2020 brochure. P19...

"HYBRID SILENCE
Powered by our latest Lexus Self-Charging Hybrid technology, the ES
is incredibly quiet to drive. Whether in near-silent Electric Vehicle mode, or
cruising at motorway speeds, you can enjoy talking to passengers or listening
to your favourite music with very little background noise. Further refining the
technology developed for the latest LS flagship saloon, advanced aerodynamics
combined with Hybrid Acoustics™ and Active Noise Control have resulted
in an outstanding level of cabin quietness."

does not have an asterisk with *Available on selected grades and packs like ML or HUD

unfortunately didn't download the list at the time, if you have it that would be geat

es_brochure_102020_tcm-3157-2093698.pdf

11 hours ago, Mincey said:

Gentlemen, calm down! Why not get one of these:

Wow! People actually buy that? I really must dig into my box of random crap and see what I can sell.

@e-yes yup it's a thing, but like the thread you have linked there it's a 1-3dB difference. Most of the heavy lifting is done by the structural sound proofing. Was in an electric (no range extender engine) BMW i3 the other day, ignoring the terrible ride quality, it was loud compared to the ES in town.

Since we're talking quiet cabins here. It can be quiet enough in the ES that I can hear faint wind noise coming from the sunroof area at motorway speeds. Just closing the blind is enough to make it go away. Anyone else here noticed that? Yes I checked the seals while open and closed, it opens and closes normally, and when closed I don't feel any air movement on the inside at speed. I checked the outside parked, seems to be a snug fit, nothing popping over or in fact under the roof/bodywork. Now I'm obviously being nitpicky here, just curious if anyone else noticed it.

1 hour ago, peniole said:

Since we're talking quiet cabins here. It can be quiet enough in the ES that I can hear faint wind noise coming from the sunroof area at motorway speeds. Just closing the blind is enough to make it go away. Anyone else here noticed that?

Yes. Noticed it straight way during the test drive and also on my own car. The sun blind has to be closed for that noise to go away.

EDIT: And I guess that ANC thing in a way now explains why the audio sounds noticeably better when the car is stationary and rear windows are open a tiny bit. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, e-yes said:

Yes. Noticed it straight way during the test drive and also on my own car. The sun blind has to be closed for that noise to go away.

EDIT: And I guess that ANC thing in a way now explains why the audio sounds noticeably better when the car is stationary and rear windows are open a tiny bit. 

I wouldn't have guessed that re sound quality. Older anc systems were notorious for this problem with limited processing power. But newer systems supposedly read your audio output and subtract any wavelengths from anc that would degrade the audio signal. Must try this out while stationary.

Are we suggesting that the blind is linked to the ANC or that, you know, the blind does enough to physically restrict the noise. I have to say - it is a really quiet car. You really can have a quiet conversation without raising your voice... How much of that is down to the ANC though...

1 hour ago, Scoops said:

Are we suggesting that the blind is linked to the ANC or that, you know, the blind does enough to physically restrict the noise. I have to say - it is a really quiet car. You really can have a quiet conversation without raising your voice... How much of that is down to the ANC though...

I guess that the blind blocks the noise physically makes more sense.

Otherwise it is a very sophisticated ANC system which projects the noise cancelling frequency to that very specific location when closing the blind activates ANC (for that specific location). Which doesn't make sense as to why would Lexus assume that people enjoy the mild rushing sound of wind while sun is warming up the top of their heads.

--E

Edited by e-yes
correction

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links