Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reversing camera replacement options?

I was looking into possible reversing camera options to replace my 16 year old unit on my GS430, as it is grainy AF especially at night.

I came across the following one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194019988218

I've never heard of Dorman, are they some sort of OE equivalent in the US?

Has anyone replaced their rear camera with this one?

I wanted a genuine Lexus replacement, until I saw the cost of over £400 and decided to either choose a used one and hope it's better than my 'grainy' one or buy a Dorman one.

All suggestions and experiences with rear camera replacements are welcome!

(I've also just posted this on Club Lexus US Forum)

That link isn't working but there's no need to spend a lot of money.

Someone in the RX forum got a cheap Chinese camera for about a tenner and did a full write-up about changing it and it worked a treat.

This is just one of many available on Amazon but prices seem to have gone up a bit (unsurprisingly).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herbie said:

That link isn't working but there's no need to spend a lot of money.

Someone in the RX forum got a cheap Chinese camera for about a tenner and did a full write-up about changing it and it worked a treat.

This is just one of many available on Amazon but prices seem to have gone up a bit (unsurprisingly).

The thing is, I'd like a plug and play option as the connector is quite specific:

Image 31 - LEXUS GS  REAR VIEW CAMERA 86790-30031

Thanks for the reply though.

26 minutes ago, Initial P said:

The stock screen resolution doesn't help either.

Definitely doesn't. 

Although this is definitely more of a clarity issue, as it's borderline dangerous at night.

I've ordered both a Dorman one from the US and also a used one from the UK. 

The best one wins and will stay on the car. 

A small update, I received a used camera off of eBay today for the princely sum of £42.50.

It was 4 years newer and looked in much better condition than my current one. I assume the weatherproof seal had gone on mine, pretty good going for a 16 year old camera I think!

Before and after pics:

Before (as you can see, it's fuzzy in the daytime. You can imagine how bad it is at night!)

20211015_135404.thumb.jpg.742266f2c33b4f40275c21b621f20cc0.jpg

After: (It's like going Full HD for the first time!)

20211015_141800.thumb.jpg.7e2214ddf699d98bbc43f841edb4f9f3.jpg

Old camera vs new:

20211015_142412.thumb.jpg.6f005ffc419e8330fc6a923f9caa5d20.jpg

20211015_142441.thumb.jpg.e9fe148d1b4698e2ba9caabb655dfc24.jpg

Happy with the results, I'll cancel the Dorman one I ordered rather than trialling it. Part of me is interested to see what it is like though, despite not being an OEM part.

Edited by JDM-Fiend
Images not working.

Just now, serbarry said:

It looks very good and a great deal for the price. This one that you fitted from Ebay did it belong to another GS430 or another Lexus model? 

Yeah, it's not a bad deal. I know you can get some cheaper, but most of the ones I found were a similar age to mine.

I bought one off of a MK3 GS300.

The part number is 86790-30030 and the later MK3's had a substitution to 86790-30031 which I assume is a part revision - I didn't want to risk the newer part number in case it didn't fit/incompatible, also they were a fair bit more to buy (£70-£80) when I was looking for one.

Hadn't had a chance to reply, sorry all.

I've changed the images to actual attachments instead of Google Drive URL's.

Should work now as they work for me in incognito.

Hope it helps someone out with a worn out reversing camera.

• 1 year later...

18 months on update:

The replacement rear camera has started to flicker on occasion and the quality has lowered slightly, so here I went again this morning:

Current:

OLd.thumb.jpg.eb8f11c8198b9d3805564f523dfbd686.jpg

New:

New.thumb.jpg.254b3236eed021d680f6645bf6adb3b9.jpg

Fitted:

Fitted.thumb.jpg.d970617cfba35c42fc53be184f6a6d6a.jpg

Image comparison:

Old (top) vs New (bottom)

20230608_110311.thumb.jpg.02edeeaefc98402fd7b77cfe5c0d9576.jpg20230608_112827.thumb.jpg.a62cabaf19cb3ee76d9a6b5c6613bb4f.jpg

I bought the Dorman 590-638 for £111 on 19/04/23. I'm hoping long term this holds up better as it's brand new and a slightly different design.

From further inspection of the images, it looks as though the newer one has a slightly wider viewing angle as well as being sharper. Win / Win!

Hopefully you don't hear from me again for a very long time on this thread!

😆

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 5:28 PM, markwantsalexus said:

Thanks for posting.

What is the night time picture like on  the Dorman?

TIA

Hi there, if I'm honest I haven't tested it yet as I work pretty early and the days have been long recently. I'll try and take a pic next time I'm out at night, reversing and remember haha!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links