Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Automatic Full Beam

We have had the car since March, but only in the past couple of weeks have I had reason to drive in the dark.  Light stalk is set to auto but only switches to full beam intermittently when driving in conditions that would ordinarily cause the headlights to go to full beam. Sometimes it works, but more often it doesn’t.

I have had to resort to holding the stalk towards me in flash mode and steering one-handed when driving on dark country roads at night, as I cannot rely on the lights to go full beam.

My previous cars were Hondas and I never experienced a problem like this. Any suggestions please?

Many thanks,

Tim

Just flick the lever forward for full beam when required. Use it as a non automatic system when it doesn’t work automatically. I’ve never had problems with it not reverting to full beam. I find the problem is that it doesn’t always go to dipped beam when it should. Like many ‘automatic’ aids they should not be relied upon!

• Like 3

Thanks Alan

I’ve put the stalk in the forward position but it doesn’t change the lights to full beam. I could understand if there were obstacles or reflective road signs, but even when the road is clear the light only occasionally flicks to full beam.  To be fair, on the rare occasion when it does so it flicks back to main when another car approaches.  But I cannot trust the car to do it every time.

It might be different in your Rx. I have a gs. I’ve never had a problem with lack of full beam. My problem has been it not reverting it dipped beam quick enough. It goes to full beam very quickly after dipping and the other vehicle has passed. Maybe you have a fault? What does the handbook say for your model?

9 hours ago, Goodplan53 said:

But I cannot trust the car to do it every time.

At least you can turn this auto function off. There is no OFF on the lights. Just going under a bridge and on come the dipped beams. I've seen this nearly cause an accident ( guy thought driver was flashing him to come ). I try and remember to turn to side lights at a bridge and then back to Auto to stop the main beam LED's coming on.   If only they'd kept the OFF switch.

2 hours ago, stringbender said:

At least you can turn this auto function off. There is no OFF on the lights. Just going under a bridge and on come the dipped beams. I've seen this nearly cause an accident ( guy thought driver was flashing him to come ). I try and remember to turn to side lights at a bridge and then back to Auto to stop the main beam LED's coming on.   If only they'd kept the OFF switch.

The lighting switch on my 450 h has off, auto, side and main selections.

Thanks for the responses,

I will keep searching through the menu and the manual to see if there’s something I should be doing that I’m not. If people could continue to share their experiences of the auto full beam function, I would be grateful.  

Tim

The sensitivity of the dipped beam can be adjusted so it comes on with more or less surrounding light, does function fine, lights up when in a tunnel and when it is getting dark; always have setting on automatic. Never had high beam coming on automatic. Do not know if the CT has this facility. Never needed high beam as dipped beam (LED from factory) lights the road enough to drive even in mountains here.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:16 PM, Goodplan53 said:

We have had the car since March, but only in the past couple of weeks have I had reason to drive in the dark.  Light stalk is set to auto but only switches to full beam intermittently when driving in conditions that would ordinarily cause the headlights to go to full beam. Sometimes it works, but more often it doesn’t.

I have had to resort to holding the stalk towards me in flash mode and steering one-handed when driving on dark country roads at night, as I cannot rely on the lights to go full beam.

My previous cars were Hondas and I never experienced a problem like this. Any suggestions please?

Many thanks,

Tim

If you look to right of the steering column there is a button just to the left of the tailgate release that switches the Auto Full Beam on and off.

If in the on position you can't manually put full beam on and off but if you switch this off then it reverts to manual control of full beam.

• Like 1

Auto function works well  at a speed where  full lights are allowed, but if you are driving at a lower speed it keeps high beams off, so if you want to use full lights you have to do it manually 😉

• 3 weeks later...

• 10 months later...

I have  a 2019 Lexus RX 450h -I'm just getting to grips with the auto high beam . When enaged  it seems to work fine with an exception  the high beam (blue) light stays on regardless if we are on low beam or high -Is this normal -Karl 

3 hours ago, Karl40 said:

I have  a 2019 Lexus RX 450h -I'm just getting to grips with the auto high beam . When enaged  it seems to work fine with an exception  the high beam (blue) light stays on regardless if we are on low beam or high -Is this normal -Karl 

What spec RX do you have?

8 hours ago, Karl40 said:

When you say that the Auto high beam is engaged, do you mean that you have it on Auto on the light lever or that you have engaged the Auto dim by pressing the button down on the right on the dashboard next to the hatch release?

• 4 months later...

I have a 2022 RX 450h Premium Sport, and I find Auto High Beam (using the Auto button to the right of the steering wheel) is very sensitive to turn on, even on a lit road, but sometimes stays on a few seconds longer than it should, when there is an oncoming car, or following traffic.  This results in dazzling the other car, which isn't great.

Full beam (blue) sometimes flashes briefly, when on Auto High Beam, when approaching a junction or roundabout, which can be dangerous as other traffic can take this as a signal to pull out.

Can sensitivity of Auto High Beam be lowered at all, to reduce delay to return to dipped beam?  It turns on to full beam very quickly, but can take longer to turn back off.   

Note on the newest RX, Auto High Beam can be engaged without pushing the light stalk back.  Previously, had to push stalk back for Auto function to work.

As it states in the handbook, this is a driver's aide but one should not rely on it.

That said the adaptive high beam in my 2020 RX works very well and I would say getting flashed is the exception.

I did enquire of my dealer if the AHB system could be coded differently, as for the EU market there are various other settings but alas once the car is coded for the UK these extra settings are not available. This is for my model/year, it may have changed on later models, always worth a chat with your dealer.

• 6 months later...
On 10/14/2021 at 7:38 AM, flookyk said:

If you look to right of the steering column there is a button just to the left of the tailgate release that switches the Auto Full Beam on and off.

If in the on position you can't manually put full beam on and off but if you switch this off then it reverts to manual control of full beam.

I can have mine in auto (when the stalk is in dipped position ) and push it forward for main beam