Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New member looking for IS250 as first Lexus

Hi

I am looking for an IS250 SE or SE l but getting a bit confused on the difference between them and the options available.

I understood that the basic differences were that the SE didn't have the memory seats or rear blind that the SE l has (neither a 'must have' for me) and didn't have wood trim like the SE l. I've found a possible car but it is advertised as a SE l but I think it must be an SE with options? If has silver interior trim, no rear blind, but has what I think is the MM package with rear view camera. Not a ML audio I don't think but it does have DAB which I would like as FM reception is rubbish round my way! If I go for this car is there anything else I'd lose out on from the SE l?

Thanks

Hi Roland and welcome to the best Lexus forum there is. Excellent choice wanting an is250 as your first Lexus. Browse the 2nd gen IS part of the forum as your question has been asked a good few times and you'll find a breakdown of spec differences. You are typing SE and SE I. SE L is the one fully laden like wood, rear blind, ML system, rear camera, satnav etc. There are a number is is250 fir sale on auto trader which I'm sure you've seen. Yes some specs of cars are confusing. se-I se se-i  seems odd but there you go.

Look for the threads what to look out for buying an is250, there's tons of info. Happy reading. 

Hi Roland, I'd highly recommend going for a fully loaded SE-L model or an F Sport as you get a lot of creature comforts which now I couldn't live without! Don't let high mileage examples put you off, as long as the service history looks good these cars run into very few issues compared to the competition. I got my 2010 F Sport at 135k miles and aside from an air con regas no issues really to report, compared to our 70k miles IS250C they both drive pretty much like new. 

Most pre facelift cars (Before 2009) that had the NAVI option almost always come with Mark Levinson Audio. Any NAVI opted car after 2009 it was something you had to opt for specifically, but the speaker systems for both are quite impressive so don't let that be a deal breaker necessarily. The main reason to go facelift I'd say is the additional features like auto folding mirrors when you lock / unlock the car as well as wing mirror indicators. In addition to this they've addressed some carbon build up issues the pre facelifts suffered from and added a few styling changes. Regular servicing yearly as well as good fuel with additives and you shouldn't have those issues really. 

High mileage IS250s can be picked up for an absolute bargain, so if the service history looks good and the bodywork is in good condition its an option worth seriously considering! 

Thanks all for the input.

I didn't realise there was an SE-I hence my confusion! I thought the 'I' in the description was lower case L! DOH!

So the 2010 car in question has all the stuff I need including audio with DAB, Full Map Nav, reversing camera, cruise, folding mirrors, front and rear parking sensors, leather. Doesn't have ML, rear blind, headlight washers memory seats.

So that sounds like an SE-I   I guess? What exactly does the MM pack include and how can I establish if the car has it? Lastly can the audio play media on a USB stick?

Cheers  

I would get a SE-L for the ML audio alone, it has navigation built in and the later models are DVD based - it will mention ML in the fascia - high end LS models have the ML reference audio systems which are even better

Thanks toffee_pie.

I'm thinking a SE-L is the way to go.

I've seen a few where the audio system has no ML logo. Are they still the ML unit despite this? 

One of the attractions of the IS250 for me is the exclusivity compared to BMW 3 series, Merc C Class and Audi A4. Problem is that exclusivity is making the exact car I want like hen's teeth! 

Cheers

25 minutes ago, RolandK said:

Thanks toffee_pie.

I'm thinking a SE-L is the way to go.

I've seen a few where the audio system has no ML logo. Are they still the ML unit despite this? 

One of the attractions of the IS250 for me is the exclusivity compared to BMW 3 series, Merc C Class and Audi A4. Problem is that exclusivity is making the exact car I want like hen's teeth! 

Cheers

AFAIK the real ML units have Mark Levinson written on them and the higher end ones mention reference audio / surround

You will also have a nice amp in the boot.. which is pretty hard to miss

These cars are way better than over rated German tat

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RolandK said:

I didn't realise there was an SE-I hence my confusion! I thought the 'I' in the description was lower case L! DOH!

So the 2010 car in question has all the stuff I need including audio with DAB, Full Map Nav, reversing camera, cruise, folding mirrors, front and rear parking sensors, leather. Doesn't have ML, rear blind, headlight washers memory seats.

So that sounds like an SE-I   I guess? What exactly does the MM pack include and how can I establish if the car has it? Lastly can the audio play media on a USB stick?

Cheers  

Yes the SE-l (lowercase) does miss out on some of those feature. Unfortunately I did have a link to compare the trim levels side by side but it’s now stopped working!

The facelifts did come with USB connectivity support (including iPhones) as well as Bluetooth. I’ve never tried a USB stick but I can certainly try it out for you. Pre facelifts only had aux or required a mod for Bluetooth so I’d stick with the post facelift unless you’re willing to change the head unit or get a grom audio unit. 

i assume the multimedia pack is the Navi screen with reverse camera, it is a definite must and it saves you doing any drastic mods to the car so that alone is worth it. 

8 hours ago, McShmoopy said:

Yes the SE-l (lowercase) does miss out on some of those feature. Unfortunately I did have a link to compare the trim levels side by side but it’s now stopped working!

The facelifts did come with USB connectivity support (including iPhones) as well as Bluetooth. I’ve never tried a USB stick but I can certainly try it out for you. Pre facelifts only had aux or required a mod for Bluetooth so I’d stick with the post facelift unless you’re willing to change the head unit or get a grom audio unit. 

i assume the multimedia pack is the Navi screen with reverse camera, it is a definite must and it saves you doing any drastic mods to the car so that alone is worth it. 

Thanks for that. I've tried looking for comparison lists for specs on line and on the forum but drawn a blank.

What comes on each car seems further complicated by options. Eg. Some SE-L cars have the ML audio and some don't. I would like DAB if possible but that seems rare and don't think even the ML units do it?

I'm wondering if DAB can be added. Preferably 'discreetly' as I dont really want something like the Pure adaptor stuck up on the dash!

Thanks

DAB was an optional extra, regardless of trim level, and seems to have been rarely-ticked by buyers when these cars were new.

I believe the DAB tuner can be retrofitted though if you can stomach the cost (£400+). 

Facelift cars with a USB port can indeed play music from a connected storage device.

Also, Mark Levinson-equipped cars with a HDD-based navigation system  allow CDs to be ripped on to it. From memory, the allocation is around 10GB.

Regarding the ML system itself. For me, it's not a must-have on the 2nd-gen IS since the "normal" 13-speaker setup is so good.

My previous car had ML, and current one doesn't. There really isn't that much of a drop-off so don't let that put you off picking a car that doesn't have it.

31 minutes ago, J Henderson said:

DAB was an optional extra, regardless of trim level, and seems to have been rarely-ticked by buyers when these cars were new.

I believe the DAB tuner can be retrofitted though if you can stomach the cost (£400+). 

Facelift cars with a USB port can indeed play music from a connected storage device.

Also, Mark Levinson-equipped cars with a HDD-based navigation system  allow CDs to be ripped on to it. From memory, the allocation is around 10GB.

Regarding the ML system itself. For me, it's not a must-have on the 2nd-gen IS since the "normal" 13-speaker setup is so good.

My previous car had ML, and current one doesn't. There really isn't that much of a drop-off so don't let that put you off picking a car that doesn't have it.

Cheers

I had no idea when I decided on a SE250 that it would be so complex on the spec. and options front! Thanks for your input which, along with the others has helped me focus on what car I need to look for. It's a post facelift (2009 on) SE-L preferably with the ML system and DAB. Colour wise I'd prefer other than silver and prefer the light leather. Not too high a mileage as one or two cars I've seen at around 70,000 miles had quite tatty and worn interiors. I'm also going to have to up my budget! The hunt is on!

Thanks

3 hours ago, RolandK said:

Cheers

I had no idea when I decided on a SE250 that it would be so complex on the spec. and options front! Thanks for your input which, along with the others has helped me focus on what car I need to look for. It's a post facelift (2009 on) SE-L preferably with the ML system and DAB. Colour wise I'd prefer other than silver and prefer the light leather. Not too high a mileage as one or two cars I've seen at around 70,000 miles had quite tatty and worn interiors. I'm also going to have to up my budget! The hunt is on!

Thanks

I wouldn’t be too fussed on the DAB radio, from what I’ve seen generally the reception for it was known to be fairly poor for those who got it with their MK2 IS’s. An aftermarket solution for DAB would be dramatically cheaper and probably better reception! One example people do is get something like a GROM VLINE and buy the DAB accessories for that

1 minute ago, McShmoopy said:

I wouldn’t be too fussed on the DAB radio, from what I’ve seen generally the reception for it was known to be fairly poor for those who got it with their MK2 IS’s. An aftermarket solution for DAB would be dramatically cheaper and probably better reception! One example people do is get something like a GROM VLINE and buy the DAB accessories for that

I agree, to use DAB as a deciding factor in a car purchase is a very poor idea

• Like 1

If the car is advertised as a SE-L and it doesn't have ML then it's not a SE-L. Lexus's DAB is rather rubbish at best. No owner has anything positive to say about it that I've seen. The SE-L has an aux socket in the armrest cubby hole. Plugging in a Bluetooth adapter means you can then use your phone as a music player as I do.

• Like 1

I never understood the attraction of the mid 00’s infotainment systems in any car as an element in buying your wheels in the last five years.

Mobile tech is so far ahead of the stuff car brands use to bundle back then. The modern smart phone when connected to the excellent IS stereo is capable of taking you where you need by just telling it, (comparing with the science class you needed to know how to operate the daft old units), can play pretty much what you want by just talking to the handset, you can even use the phone as a reversing camera with better safety features to boost, what not to like?

DAB is overrated, if you use an internet radio like Google podcasts or Spotify the selection is far better (not to mention the dreaded connection in the ancient Lexus supplied module vs almost non existing issues in Bluetooth 5.0 equipped adapters).

On 10/16/2021 at 8:09 PM, toffee_pie said:

I agree, to use DAB as a deciding factor in a car purchase is a very poor idea

I said I had a preference for DAB but it's not an overriding decision factor. FM reception is poor where I am but DAB is fine. Same is true of a number of other criteria like I'd prefer the car to not be silver or have black upholstery but if the right car came along with that combination I wouldn't reject it outright. On the other side the cars come with stuff I most likely won't use like cruise control that I'm not a fan of, memory seats as I'm the only driver and a rear blind which I frankly can't see the point of. I'm learning that these cars are rare relative to the likes of equivalent BMW's, Audis and Mercs so my list of criteria is flexible up to a point.

I appreciate the input on the flaky Lexus DAB thanks and would agree that some of the aftermarket options sound like a good idea.

Having widened my search criteria a number of cars with Advance  spec are coming up so going to see what that spec offers. 

Cheers all.

Hi Roland, like you, I didn't want any add-on units plonked on top of the dashboard but I sort of bit the bullet and bought a DAB+ unit, and mounted it discreetly at the side of the windscreen, along with the supplied aerial on the inside top corner of the windscreen on the passenger's side (yes, an add-on DAB radio requires its' own separate aerial). Trust me, it's really not an issue. I routed the wires behind the A-pillar trim panel, under the dash by the pedals and across and up into the centre cubby with the sliding cover. That's the power cable, which connects to the usb port in the central cubby. The installation from start to finish took less than 30 minutes. I too considered having a DAB module fitted after I bought the car. But after a little research, I found out that the Lexus-only upgrade is expensive for what it is and crucially, they are only able to provide an upgrade to a DAB system and not a DAB+, on which many more radio channels are available. 

There are two ways to connect the radio to the car's stereo system; a stereo cable (about 3m length) running along with the power cable and connected to the 3.5mm auxilliary input, next to the usb port. Or, as what I've done, a redundant FM radio frequency (eg 87.1 MHz) can be selected to output on the DAB and then simply tune the car's FM radio to that frequency. I've done it this way and have to say it works really, really well. Sound quality is very good. I rarely experience any dropouts and reception is generally excellent. The DAB system was intended for unobstructed outdoor use anyway, so any comparisons with poor reception INDOORs, is somewhat  unfair I think.

I have a usb stick with music on it and it works very well, once you get used to the selection interface on the screen in the dash. But as mentioned I don't bother with that anymore, as I have the DAB+ radio plugged into the usb.

The 'infotainment' system  (I'm a bit old school and I simply call it "the stereo") fitted to my SE-L is made by Pioneer, I think and I would describe the sound quality as average to OK; it's not terrible but it's not brilliant either. My daughter had a 2012 Fiesta with a stock sound system which sounded a lot better. In my opinion. Having said that though, it does sound much better when the roof is down, as it automatically applies a boost to some bass frequencies, a bit like pressing the 'Loud' button on some older systems. It has a 6-cd changer built in, but I have never played a cd since I've had the car. I don't even know if it works, though I expect it does. I have not heard a Levinson system though. Bluetooth seems to work ok, though I don't happen to have any music stored on my phone.

The navigation system is a bloody nightmare. There, I've said it! I wanted to get it updated to present day but was put off by the high cost of an upgrade by Lexus and after using a few times, decided it wouldn't have been worth it anyway. If it was presented differently it could be brilliant, but it's far too complicated to set up and use, takes you through all the back streets, and is way to complex for its' own good. My advice would be to stick to your favourite navigation app on your smartphone.

That's very Interesting Neil regards you using an unused FM signal 87.1. I used to use a similar method for Bluetooth streaming but here in the NW it was futile as 87.1 was always in use by back street transmissions of jungle krap. 

Never use an u used FM signal, always a wired connection. 

• Haha 1

I know what you mean. I've not experienced the aural delights of Jungle, but I'll take your word for it!😆 However, a couple of months back, I was sitting in traffic waiting for the lights to change, when what I was listening to at the time cut off and was replaced by some jazz track. Took me by surprise until I realised what was going on, and I was looking at the other drivers nearby to me to try and guess who might be listening to such obscure nonsense! Alas the lights turned to green, the channel I was listening to returned and I never found out the identity of the mystery listener!

Btw Vlad, When I installed my little  add-on radio, I did a side-by-side comparison of wired v. FM connections, and found no difference or improvement in sound quality. So I went for the easiest option . . .

It's interesting occasionally. Another time, a guy in a car behind me had a handsfree Parrot system or whatever and I heard him and his missus arguing about a brand new phone that she had bought, but did not come with a SIM card, and she wanted him to call in somewhere to get the SIM, but for reasons unknown he just kept digging his heels in and refused. Raised voices and more cursing ensued . . . and yet again, I missed the outcome as the guy turned off the main road that we were on. Hilarious. :biggrin:

Well there you go. If one likes interruptions to one's listening pleasure then using a FM 'unused' station is the way to go.

When I had the FM Bluetooth adapter I got really peed off with those interruptions. Each to their own as they say 👍

On 10/15/2021 at 5:42 PM, RolandK said:

Cheers  

Easy way to determine a SE-L is the interior panels have the real wood inserts and only the SE-L had rear electric sun shade ( not even fitted to the ISF!)

and this sticker on drivers side ‘B’ post.

EC890B5A-8DF4-4DCA-8044-6BBBAA270CDB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Texas said:

Easy way to determine a SE-L is the interior panels have the real wood inserts and only the SE-L had rear electric sun shade ( not even fitted to the ISF!)

and this sticker on drivers side ‘B’ post.

IMG_3622.MOV

EC890B5A-8DF4-4DCA-8044-6BBBAA270CDB.jpeg

Handy thanks. I'm sure I've seen a few cars advertised where the seller puts the wrong spec! I'm focusing on an SE L at the moment. Having said that to be honest I'm not that keen on the wood trim, looks a bit like an aftermarket afterthought! Also not sure about the use for a rear window blind either. All the other toys I like the look of. Just my personal view!

Going to see a 59 plate SE L tomorrow that ticks all my boxes but a bit pricey at nearly 10k. Still has a full Lexus service history, 58,000 on the clock. Also set of refurbed wheels with £500  worth of new tyres.  So might be worth it.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links